Subscribe to CurtisRutland.Write("...");        RSS Feed
-----

ASUS Zenbook UX31E-DH52 – First Impressions Review

Icon 2 Comments
ASUS Zenbook UX31E-DH52 – First Impressions Review

Video Review
http://vimeo.com/35664064/

The Zenbook is one of the new Intel inspired “Ultrabooks.” I’ve recently received one to review, so I’ll be sharing my first impressions in this review. Look for a much more detailed review coming in a few weeks.

First, the unboxing. I have to say, I was surprised and pleased when I opened it up. It came with all the adapters I might need (USB to LAN, Mini-DP to VGA), it also came with a very nice-looking sleeve style case. The case is slightly larger than the laptop, so if you’re looking for something that fits the computer’s profile more closely, I’d still suggest a neoprene case, but the included case is quite nice, and it looks great. Check out the video to see the case, accessories, and the laptop itself.

As for the laptop, I was also impressed with how it looked. The entire case has a brushed metal look including the keyboard. It’s a very elegant design. It has one USB3, one USB2, a mini-HDMI, and a mini-Display Port, along with an SD slot and a headphones jack. The profile of the laptop is very reminiscent of the MacBook Air; thickest at the hinge, sloping to a narrow point where the lid ends.

As to how it feels, I have to say that again, I’m impressed. The product specs say it weighs less than three pounds, and I believe it. You can easily maneuver this machine with one hand. The keyboard is of the “Chiclet” style, and it feels good, mostly. I’m somewhat of a “keyboard snob”, and this is certainly one of the better laptop keyboards I’ve tried, though not the best. Occasionally I’ll miss a key, and I’m having to get used to the function keys (they seem a bit left-shifted to make room for the system keys), but other than that, it feels fine.

Beyond that, I’ve only used it for a few hours, long enough to set up my development environment. Visual Studio installed without a problem, and so did Office. Both use a web installer, so it’s hard to comment on disk performance, but the SSD has so far been very snappy.

All around, I’d have to say I’ve had a very positive first experience with this laptop. Please watch the video so you can get a good look at the machine itself.

Photos:
Closed:
Attached Image

Open:
Attached Image

Side:
Attached Image

Size Comparison:
Attached Image

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe my readers will enjoy. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

2 Comments On This Entry

Page 1 of 1

Curtis Rutland Icon

26 January 2012 - 04:41 PM
The blog software here is clipping the images. If you'd like to see them better, you can see them here:

http://imgur.com/a/hfYhk

KYA Icon

28 January 2012 - 03:16 PM
I like the rustic-ness looking of the silver case
Page 1 of 1

Trackbacks for this entry [ Trackback URL ]

There are no Trackbacks for this entry

Recent Comments

0 user(s) viewing

0 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)