Subscribe to Coding Creatively   
- - - - -

Down the rabbit hole of misleading, bad code

Icon Leave Comment
Doing freelance work for random strangers over outsourcing websites is definitely not fruitful work. It's bottom-feeder work. Why are people there in the first place? It's always either those who want to drastically cut costs and those with little to no programming knowledge. This creates the problem that nobody cares about the code as...
- - - - -

MVC is not a thing, it is an idea - an abstraction

Icon Leave Comment
Unfortunately I've been led astray by previous tutorials and my own errors that I've had the wrong idea of what MVC is. After this was pointed out, I spend all night studies and creating an *actual* MVC framework. After some 5 tutorials, it finally hit me. I'm not sure why I didn't think it before, but I understand it now. MVC is a...

Be careful who you work for.

Icon 2 Comments
I found a job posting that looked pretty good. $40 for about an hours work. Not too shabby for a guy working his way up the ladder. The job itself was supposed to be simple. "create a friend button that appears on a profile and that profile's web posts if that profile is following the logged in user". Simple, right? Pull a value...
- - - - -

Freelancer has bought out vWorker and Scriptlance

Icon 2 Comments
vWorker was pretty much the best site for finding work online. It was next to free and the fee they charged is charged towards your client (you want $500 for a job, client sees this as $535 or so).

Now I have a couple of gripes about Freelancer. First of all, it's practically like a game site. I mean look at this, it's like...
- - - - -

Starting this back up

Icon Leave Comment
So I seem to have neglected my blog. I've been swamped with work and I've bored everyone to death with talking about my projects, so I'll be talking about them on here.

So yeah, expect some neat entries about complaining about stupid people, bad clients, and bad code. Maybe some good stuff every once in awhile.
- - - - -

Converting from md5 to something more secure, without bugging your users.

Icon 1 Comments
Here's the situation: You've created a successful service with over 1000 loyal members. The problem is, you decided to use md5, a common but bad hashing algorithm, for passwords. Somehow you've made it this far without getting some users account hacked so you still have time to convert to something more secure. The only problem is, you...
- - - - -

HASHES CANNOT BE DECRYPTED, THEY ARE NOT EVEN ENCRYPTED

Icon 1 Comments
I've seen a few threads around lately saying stuff like "How do I decrypt MD5?", and the answer is always the same:

You can't

MD5, SHA, etc. are all hashing. They are not encrypted, they can not be decrypted. The reason you would use such a thing is so that hackers (in the event they get into your databases), cannot...
- - - - -

First

Icon 1 Comments
Hmm.... Well, I used to blog using blogspot and I hooked that up with my website. It died recently so now I might as well start a blog here. In case you didn't know, I got into computers at a young age. I was rather stupid and thought the intrawho's ran on pure HTML. I learned how to do basic stuff like text formatting and that was it. I...

Page 1 of 1

Recent Entries

December 2014

S M T W T F S
21 222324252627