Subscribe to WolfCoder's Kawaii Column        RSS Feed
***** 1 Votes

Adding Linux for the Windows User

Icon 6 Comments
With Ubuntu becoming a disaster and turning metrosexual, the rest of the world would like to use their computer as a computer, not an over-sized phone >.< Well, what to do!?

The answer is pretty simple, Ubuntu is a Debian-based Linux distribution. Why not just get Debian and skip all that trash? Debian has all the familiar GUI versions of commonly used Linux tools I introduced to you in my short series of Linux game programming tutorials. Don't see the video card driver thingy? None were installed? Why don't you ask your video card vendor on their website? Even ATI has installers for their drivers in Linux.

First, make sure one of your HDDs are empty. Defrag it too for best results. You'll want to go to control panel, administrative tools (classic view not category view), and then computer management. You can access a really powerful partition manager right here!

Posted Image

Click on the HDD you want that has room and right click it. Click "Shrink Volume" and give Linux about 32GB or so. Remember you'll get to use your existing NTFS partition where your documents were on Windows if you want, you can continue to work on your documents in either operating system! Always take advantage of dual-booting.

You can continue to burn a CD of Debian or whatever Linux you want to try out (I suggest Debian for Ubuntu migrants) and install it. The installer in Debian can tell if you have Windows and will write GRUB accordingly so you can boot. Don't forget utilities in msconfig and on your Windows disc can let you configure the Windows boot loader for the same thing. The GRUB option is simpler though.

6 Comments On This Entry

Page 1 of 1

Skaggles Icon

29 October 2011 - 11:43 PM
Great post. Debian is a great linux distro. I've been using Debian (and testing some Debian-based distros like Crunch Bang) for around a month now and I'm loving it.

BRampersad Icon

30 October 2011 - 05:25 AM
Nice post. I myself use archlinux and love it.

AlbuquerqueApache Icon

30 October 2011 - 09:40 AM
NO!!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Is ubuntu seriously going to have a Metro like interface?!?!?!?

:PANIC:

WolfCoder Icon

31 October 2011 - 07:02 AM
I couldn't get the video card driver to work in Debian, but the rest of it did work.

reaper4334 Icon

31 October 2011 - 03:14 PM
Great tip!
Very helpful for those who aren't sure which distro is the right move from Ubuntu.

Also, if Debian isn't for you I would also consider Fedora. I've been using it for a while and it seems to be as reliable and straight forward as Ubuntu (was) and if you can get used to Gnome3 it's a solid choice.

WolfCoder Icon

04 November 2011 - 05:45 AM
No, I like Debian itself, the video card just won't work on it. It's the most common problem barring game developers from using Linux. Don't bother posting ten paragraphs on some obscure set of steps to get the driver to work, I use Windows to make games anyway myself.
Page 1 of 1

September 2014

S M T W T F S
1415161718 19 20

Information

Information