Subscribe to Stuck in an Infiniteloop        RSS Feed
-----

The Virtues of a Programmer

Icon 6 Comments
I read this a while back, forgot about it, and stumbled upon it again this afternoon while cleaning up Firefox bookmarks. For your reading pleasure, the virtues of a programmer:

Laziness
The quality that makes you go to great effort to reduce overall energy expenditure. It makes you write labor-saving programs that other people will find useful, and document what you wrote so you don't have to answer so many questions about it. Hence, the first great virtue of a programmer.

Impatience
The anger you feel when the computer is being lazy. This makes you write programs that don't just react to your needs, but actually anticipate them. Or at least that pretend to. Hence, the second great virtue of a programmer.

Hubris
Excessive pride, the sort of thing Zeus zaps you for. Also the quality that makes you write (and maintain) programs that other people won't want to say bad things about. [Also, the thing that makes you write programs to do something that's already been done, because you believe you can do it better --- Wim.] Hence, the third great virtue of a programmer.

Courtesy of this link and the Camel Perl book

6 Comments On This Entry

Page 1 of 1

nunc Icon

29 April 2012 - 06:51 PM
And that about sums me up. Great find.

Jstall Icon

30 April 2012 - 06:06 AM
I've often heard great programming was about being lazy is a smart way, this sums it up nicely :)

Goodfix86 Icon

30 April 2012 - 08:57 AM
You should make it four and add this one...

Thirst
For coffee.

KYA Icon

30 April 2012 - 04:49 PM
And Knowles did descend from the Mountain. He tooketh the coffee and blessed it saying, this is the caffeine given to you, so that ye might be super productive and awesome today. Amen.

Choscura Icon

01 May 2012 - 09:27 AM
I always thought I was weird for the hubris thing.

TheITNinja Icon

04 May 2012 - 01:42 AM
I'd like to flip these around:

Laziness --> actually we are solution finders, we try automating things not because we are laziness. True laziness would mean we would not even bother doing it, let alone try to automate it.

Impatience --> actually generally we do not like waste, knowing what the computer is capable, it feels wasteful to not optimise it. Because programming is precise, it means being efficient is ingrained in our mindset.

Hubris --> actually we care for our craft, we are passionate about the solutions we build. Its like any master craftsman, we express our true self from our greatest works.
Page 1 of 1

September 2014

S M T W T F S
28 29 30    

Tags

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Search My Blog

3 user(s) viewing

3 Guests
    0 member(s)
    0 anonymous member(s)