Icon 5 Comments
Posted Image

Title: Fallout 3
Platform: 360 | PC | PS3
Genre: RPG
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Rating: 5/5

The Story:
Set in a post-apocalyptic world following the Great War between the US and China, you take on the role of a young inhabitant of vault 101 which is a fallout shelter located in Washington D.C., now known as the Capital Wasteland. The vault is said to have been sealed for some 200 years until the player's father opens up the doors exposing the player to a vast nuclear wasteland.

After a brief introduction of the controls and a small walk-through of growing up in the vault. You are awakened by your good friend Amata, the overseer's daughter who tells you your father has left the vault and his assistant Jonas is dead. This is where the story really begins as you must escape the vault.

Gameplay:
Throughout your journey in the nuclear wasteland, you will encounter several NPC's whom you interact with. Your decisions will carry consequences for the remainder of the game. New to the Fallout franchise is the introduction of the V.A.T.S system, which allows you to freeze time to target specific areas of your enemy to help maximize effectiveness and enjoy some exciting executions and a entertaining cinematic. You are exposed to a vast wide-open world where you can collect and explore virtually anything in the game. Every item you collect can be used in one form or the other which allows for hours of exploration alone.

Posted Image

You are somewhat guided along the main storyline, however you can break into side missions at anytime. I found the main quest to be rather short which is slightly disappointing, however tedious side quests make up for it's main quests lack of stamina.

This game can be brutally challenging, however you have the ability to switch difficulties should you find yourself getting slaughtered by a horde of Super Mutants. As long as this game is you do not want to be trapped in impossible to escape situations while out of ammo and facing a swarm of bad guys. This can also make the game a little too easy when abused. The control system is simple and easy to adapt to, how ever getting to comfortable with the V.A.T.S. System will cause some minor hiccups when playing other RPG's.

The dialogue is mildly entertaining, however there are several glitches when repetitiveness and leveling up take the fun out of the actual game play. Hopefully this will be corrected soon.

Given the vast land area to explore, a few invisible walls and obstructions make exploring frustrating at times. The downtown D.C. area is like finding your way through a maze of rubble just to travel two-blocks and the metro tunnels can be just as tedious if you do not learn how to navigate the transit system.

Graphics and Sound:
The graphics are stunningly beautiful and depressing at the same time, reminiscent of the Mad Max series, you are blessed with an enormous nuclear wasteland with 100's of locations waiting to be explored. The characters are simple and have an Oblivion-likeness to them and it is obvious the majority of time was devoted to creating a beautiful terrain to navigate.

Posted Image

Even though this game takes place in 2077, the 1940's 50's era reigns strong in visualization and sounds. The soundtrack is comprised of classical oldies that take you back to a time when life seemed simpler and the famous Duck-and-Cover videos flowed casually throughout the school's curriculum. There is a futuristic art-deco style to the buildings and cars as if technology advanced heavily but the influence of the 50's stayed strong.

Conclusion:
Despite the minor glitches and invisible walls, there is enough to do in this game to keep you entertained and occupied for several hours. The achievements for the 360 version can be tedious, but adds to the shelf life of the game. There is no standard way of playing this game and you choose your own destiny. I spent several hours exploring and completing the side quests before finally completing the game. You also have the ability to win over some companionship which can prove a valuable asset throughout your game. I highly recommend this game to anyone who is a fan of the FPS/RPG genre.

Posted Image

5 Comments On This Entry

Page 1 of 1

Locke Icon

16 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

Locke37 you seriously just became my hero.

RTFM taken to a whole new level. You sir are worthy of Contributor of the year.
:^:

First of all...I recently found out about that site, so now I wanna use it everywhere. However, I only use it when a clear lack of effort is there.

Second, I heard Fallout3 was a good game, although I don't have a 360 or I'd probably get it.

Nykc Icon

17 December 2008 - 03:12 PM
It is also available via PC and from what KYA says it is just as good.

I like this one too. http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/

KYA Icon

19 December 2008 - 12:15 PM

Locke37, on 16 Dec, 2008 - 08:42 PM, said:

Locke37 you seriously just became my hero.

RTFM taken to a whole new level. You sir are worthy of Contributor of the year.
:^:

First of all...I recently found out about that site, so now I wanna use it everywhere. However, I only use it when a clear lack of effort is there.

Second, I heard Fallout3 was a good game, although I don't have a 360 or I'd probably get it.

What thread is the new RTFM level in?

Nykc Icon

21 December 2008 - 08:07 PM
That's a Locke37 question.

on topic: DLC coming soon!

KYA Icon

22 December 2008 - 09:38 AM
Hooray! It had better be free for PC users! :)
Page 1 of 1

July 2014

S M T W T F S
202122 23 242526

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Search My Blog

0 user(s) viewing

0 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)