Subscribe to Collegiate Chronicles        RSS Feed

Joomla Permissions: I Hate You.

Icon 1 Comments
Long time, no update. My apologies to all those who have been hanging on my every word, my thrill-a-minute Joomla gangsta life... but maybe you should, like, go outside once in a while or something.

Anyway, several months back, the massive pain in the keister site I was working on was officially launched. Now I'm on to piecing together a...
- - - - -

Joomla: It's a love-hate relationship

Icon 7 Comments
I'm coming down to the wire on this new site launch - 6000+ pages of content painstakingly moved, piece by piece, from a custom coded site into a Joomla powered site. Due to the huge amount of modifications to be made to the content, writing a script to port it all from Site A to Site B didn't seem reasonable - the options were (1) move...
- - - - -

Frankenstorm Meets Frankensystem

Icon 3 Comments
This week has been a massive. ball. of. stress.

Hurricane Sandy... Sandy... Honestly? That's the fiercest thing they could come up with? Hurricane Sabretooth wasn't an option? Hurricane Sucksalot? Hurricane Sleeplessness? Hurricane Steve the Velociraptor didn't cross anyone's mind? Though I have to give the media credit for...

The Next Chapter...

Icon 17 Comments
Last week, our Network/Database/SysAdmin quit. This week, I have been named part of a two (wo)man team who will be working together - while still maintaining our regular full-time jobs - to replace him. My new partner-in-crime and I both have a full networking education, but neither of us have used our knowledge in nearly a decade.

Today was...
- - - - -

Joomla Administrator Session Time Out: Quick Fix

Icon 5 Comments
In what is quickly becoming my extensive experience with Joomla, I have found the single most irritating aspect of the system to be the session time out when using the Administration panel. This time limit can...
- - - - -

Joomla Extensions: The Good, the Bad, and the Fugly

Icon Leave Comment
As the planet is well aware by now, I've been doing most of my recent work in Joomla and I've found several useful extensions along the way. However, considering my employer, my experience with each has had a bit of an academic bent. Regardless, for my personal future reference, and the reference of anyone interested in tested and...
- - - - -

Getting Meaty with Joomla!

Icon 1 Comments
One year ago, I posted a whiny, melodramatic entry about the horrible abuse I was suffering at the hands of my employer when they implemented their mandatory everything-must-use-Joomla-for-a-CMS policy. I am now on the cusp of launching my third Joomla-backed site and, while I'm still not excited by it, I have learned to manage (and in some...
- - - - -

Browser-specific CSS

Icon 5 Comments
It almost seems that each passing day brings a new browser to the market... or at least a new email about a new browser that one lonely person is using and something isn't displaying properly.

To date, I have a list of 19 browsers and 12 operating systems for a total of 228 possible ways to screw up a website layout. As one might imagine,...
- - - - -

Fun with Joomla!

Icon 5 Comments
While I have specialized for many years in custom-built content management systems, my employer feels using a canned system would be a 'safer' bet. While I may not agree - or be particularly thrilled with the entire concept - I do what I'm told that I may continue to pay my bills in-full and on-time.

That said, it has been decided in...
- - - - -

Promises, promises...

Icon 5 Comments
I've been thinking a lot lately... never a good idea, I realize this, but bear with me... and I realized that while I very, very rarely update my blogs (DIC or personal), when I DO choose to do so, I find myself torn on where to post what (because no one reads my personal blog except for my one friend who only comments on the content via...

• (3 Pages)
  • +

October 2014

S M T W T F S
2627282930 31  

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Search My Blog

0 user(s) viewing

0 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)