Subscribe to WolfCoder's Kawaii Column        RSS Feed
-----

LandTraveller

Icon 5 Comments
"LandTraveller" is the name of the game I have been writing from scratch in C/C++ (graphics were also drawn by me). You may have seen the old prototype, this is the normal version currently in Alpha. It's that top-down constructive action RPG game full of kemonomimi (lit. 'Beast Ears').

It's licenced under the LGPL and and artwork under CC BY-NC-SA 3.0

Speaking of which, the entire project is on an SVN here, but it's not really that far in anything yet and the source code will (delightfully) horrify those "perfect" programming purists out there (who end up getting not very far anyways).

You can download just the runnable game (with server) here. Run landtraveller.exe for the normal game and landtravellers.exe for the server.

Posted Image

Castle Made of Sand....

This Frankenstein's monster of a voxel isometric game engine is sort of working now. It's been a rough time here and there, but I'm surprised it's gotten this far already.

The isometric perspective may drive you a little insane now, but that's why I need to spend extra time on getting a good lighting engine working so you can tell where things are with respect to the Z axis as well as make out the shapes of things. The view also does a cutout if you walk into a cave or little building- this is in fact a 3D (voxel) game being shown in a 2D manner.

Before the lightning engine, the shovel item type will be implemented- you need a way to erase mistakes. Even with the ghost block cursor and cursor's own drop shadow glow, you can make mistakes. Once you get used to it though, it becomes easier to build what you want. I don't recommend going nuts and branching or adapting the engine to your own game yet, I know there are thousands of bug fixes this pile of software needs to go through to even barely reach Beta. Should still be a fun trip as I complete this, though.

5 Comments On This Entry

Page 1 of 1

modi123_1 Icon

15 March 2013 - 06:56 AM
I would be interested in seeing the docs on the character creation and over arching world construct..

WolfCoder Icon

15 March 2013 - 12:41 PM
There's no organized docs, you usually don't need them unless your team is greater than 4 people and/or you need to organize stuff so you can propose for funding. It's a waste of time otherwise since you will be revising them constantly and tossing them in the trash anyway.

Character creation is simple. Most of the options are just for appearance, but the animal type effects your stats. There's a window implemented that tells you what sort of stats you'll get while making the character. Eventually, there will be mouseover tooltips to explain what each stat does. Later, you can select an affinity (there are several per animal type) and a trait (effects how you like to play) as you level up.

The main world is a giant 2048 by 2048 by 128 block finite cube. It took me quite a long time to walk its length, so I'm not worried about size. It is finite to increase stability, and the fact the generation function will be complex and won't be good for realtime chunk generation. Right now, it's just a Perlin Noise heightmap.

I might write documentation on the world generator because poor or no documentation exists for current constructive games. My engine uses a stratographic column method for land generation, then it will carve tunnels, rivers, plains, etc. and then a step after that would add explicit things like ruins, boulders, ore pockets, etc. I may do a write-up for the algorithm once I've gotten it to work.

modi123_1 Icon

26 March 2013 - 12:37 PM
Hmm.. seems odd... or I am just that paranoid I may put the project down for a bit of time and lose the spirit of what I was trying to accomplish, now months later. Most, if not all, of my projects have some sort of documentation.. It helps me to figure out where I was going, what I fixing, and what I should be getting to next.

Interesting.. well keep the world posted as it happens.

WolfCoder Icon

27 March 2013 - 12:08 PM
I've actually picked up code almost a year in hiatus and for some reason I remember what I was doing and where I should do things in the code.

Of course, I get away with it because I'm the only one working on this.

Maplestory Icon

01 July 2013 - 11:25 AM
I love what I'm looking at :D
Page 1 of 1

August 2014

S M T W T F S
24252627 28 2930

Information

Information