Subscribe to In the Life of....        RSS Feed
-----

Woot Tracker Update

Icon 5 Comments
Success!! During this last week there was finally a Woot-Off. I was able to fully test the functionality of the tracker I created. And if worked flawlessly, don't you just love it when a plan comes together. :)

During the Woot-Off I decided to add a few more features to the program. The application wil now run from the system tray on minimize, without the application being visible in the task bar or on the desktop. This is a nice feature for those individuals, like myself, who don't like a lot of clutter. I also plan on adding the option to allow the application to start automatically when Windows starts, in a hidden state with the exception of the icon, which will be visible in the system tray.

Double clicking the icon in the system tray will make the application visible, for quick and easy access.

Since I decided it would run from the system tray, in addition to the desktop, I also added balloon tips for when a new item goes on sale. No need to maximize the application to see what the item is. The balloon tips will be automatic and will last approximately 3 seconds. In addition, a single tone alert will sound bringing it to the attention of the user that a new item is available. It will provide the name of the item, condition of the item sold, and also the price of the item. A simple click on the balloon will bring the application from its hidden state.
Posted Image

In addition, when you hover the mouse over the icon another type of balloon tip will pop up, giving a shortened name, price, and percentage remaining. Again, this is just to keep from having to maximize the window when you want to see the current status of the item for sale. The percentage sold only exists during a Woot-Off, I'm not sure why they don't provide that information in the XML file during a non-Woot-Off event. But whatever, I just work with the data they give me.
Posted Image

I'm disappointed they didn't sell any Bag O' Craps this last time. I really wanted to see if the built in browser would give me an edge in purchasing an item that usually only lasts a minute or two before it is sold out. As long as you log in through the built in browser, clicking the "I Want One" link will take you directly to the purchase screen. My data is already stored on Woots servers, so all I need to do is type in the credit card security number and click submit. The browser uses the HTTPS link, which provides all the necessary encryption you will find in a typical browser.

Now that I have successfully completed testing, I can continue into the last phase of this project which is finalizing the overall design. In addition, it has been suggested that I post the files for other users that may have an interest in using it for themselves. So I will create an installer for it, so that installation will be a simple process.

I also need to find some free file hosting, but I will check into that later.

On a side note, I'm still trying to come up with a name besides Woot Tracker for the application. Anyone got any ideas??

Ideas I've tossed around are:

1. Super Woot Tracker
2. Woot Tracker Supreme

I decided to use an Owl as the application icon....Hoot.....Woot...I dont' know maybe I will find something different.

Well thats it for now....until next time.

5 Comments On This Entry

Page 1 of 1

eLliDKraM Icon

29 April 2007 - 08:37 AM
that's pretty damn cool, man. good work

MarkoDaGeek Icon

29 April 2007 - 09:54 AM
Very nice!

Fygar Icon

30 April 2007 - 06:26 AM
NICE! Where do I get mine?!?!

Name: Woot Owl?

DilutedImage Icon

30 April 2007 - 09:23 AM
Very cool. Nice work!

A few name ideas: Woot Watch, Woot Aware, Woot Spy ...

p.s. Empty that recycle bin! :D

Jayman Icon

30 April 2007 - 09:53 AM
Thank you for the excellent suggestions and your wonderful praise.

I like the Woot Owl and the Woot Watch, they definitely sound better than just Woot Tracker or the ideas that I had come up with.

I should have this finalized in the next two weeks, depending on how much time I get to work on it. Either way, I will post a link in my Blog and in the Woot-Off thread, as to where it can be downloaded from.

Keep the name suggestions coming!!
Page 1 of 1

September 2014

S M T W T F S
21 222324252627

Search My Blog

1 user(s) viewing

1 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Recent Comments