Subscribe to Kamikaze Java        RSS Feed
-----

What is the point?

Icon 5 Comments
So why am I making this blog and going through the trouble of writing content, posting examples and documenting my progress when there is already so much code and tutorials on the net with some of the best available right here on DIC? The simple answer is to do my part to help the next guy just like me, or somewhat similar to me, or nothing like me at all but maybe that mystery person will like my style or method of presentation and get something useful from it.

At the age of 42 with 4 daughters, unemployed, dealing with some crazy adult ADHD, sitting in the worst depression since the great dustbowl and facing a future of NOTHING, I felt a lot of things including despair and fear. I'm not going to focus on the negative. What I am going to do is change, and I'm going to make a huge turn around, and I'm going to document the whole thing. I'm documenting this so someone else who needed the motivation to get out of that place of ultimate despair and desperation will see that it is possible to climb out of the hole and there is never a reason to give up.

This may sound silly to some people but that's OK. And maybe it isn't comfortable to be this blunt and share personal things but that's OK too. I don't have a lot of the silly kind of pride left though the haters will still hurt my feelings some. The chance I could help someone else get one day's worth of motivation out of my experiences far outweigh any emotional bruises I'll get along the way on this road trip.

Here is my first really silly thing to toss out for the day; I'm going to do all of this and make my turn around through programming. Yeah I'm going to change the world one Java program at a time! Well, I'll be starting with my world of course and I am already changing it one Java program at a time. Keep reading and you'll see how.

I'll be posting more tutorials and code examples like the last one on java console quirks. My next tutorial will be for the ultimate Java newbie who is self taught and is running in to naming convention issues in their IDE.

Side by side with the coding and tut's I'll flash back and give a little more background and how I got to this point and how you can avoid making a lot of the same mistakes I did.

I also welcome any comments or feedback either on my Java examples or the 'making a life change' categories. Are you or someone you know attempting to really master their first programming language, dealing with adult (or non-adult) ADHD, unemployed and not finding a job, or just interested in finding a decent source of motivation? If you share any of those or have some constructive feedback on any of my posts or are just passing through - post up a yo dawg. Share the love :rockon:

5 Comments On This Entry

Page 1 of 1

Sergio Tapia Icon

05 February 2011 - 06:05 PM
Hey good on you for making a change! I would suggest starting a series of conferences at your local community college or school and work on giving presentations. It's really nice and you share with people who enjoy programming.

Dogstopper Icon

05 February 2011 - 09:28 PM
Great to hear man! I hope that we can support you here at DIC!

badjava Icon

08 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

Sergio Tapia, on 05 February 2011 - 08:05 PM, said:

Hey good on you for making a change! I would suggest starting a series of conferences at your local community college or school and work on giving presentations. It's really nice and you share with people who enjoy programming.

That is a great idea ty! I will look in to that for sure. I haven't heard of that being done before, unless you mean basically starting a support group that uses the comm. college for a meeting place?

I actually just found a local support group for the adult ADHD and they even meet at one of the local colleges. :)

So you think starting a support group where ppl take turns presenting their code and tutorial examples would get some participation? Its hard for me to visualize since I've not met any one else in person yet who also has a passion for the programming thing.

moopet Icon

24 February 2011 - 03:11 AM
Not sure where you are, but where I come from we have quite a few local programming groups and I've tried some of them out and settled on a couple as being semi-regular things to do. They meet in pubs once a month or so or have talks when they can when someone's company donates an office for an evening. It's pretty good and appeals to all ages and experiences (I'm pushing towards 40 myself) and you get to blow off steam about how converting something to an int broke your whole program.

badjava Icon

02 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

moopet, on 24 February 2011 - 05:11 AM, said:

Not sure where you are, but where I come from we have quite a few local programming groups and I've tried some of them out and settled on a couple as being semi-regular things to do. They meet in pubs once a month or so or have talks when they can when someone's company donates an office for an evening. It's pretty good and appeals to all ages and experiences (I'm pushing towards 40 myself) and you get to blow off steam about how converting something to an int broke your whole program.

TY Moo,

I was having trouble finding local user groups but my googling terms weren't working. After your post I decided to try again and I was able to find some almost local user groups. I kinda live in the boonies but I found a group that meets about an hour from here, not too bad eh?
Page 1 of 1

Trackbacks for this entry [ Trackback URL ]

There are no Trackbacks for this entry

July 2014

S M T W T F S
27282930 31   

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Tags

Search My Blog

1 user(s) viewing

1 Guests