Subscribe to tlhIn`toq's Blog        RSS Feed
***** 6 Votes

This is the 'Help me with my homework' article you wanted.

Icon 12 Comments
There are a lot of threads about doing homework, and about questions regarding homework. Yet we still get tons of questions for the same things over and over... see the same problems over and over... so I'm going to throw my hat in the ring of trying to cover these in one place rather than have so many people waste so many man-hours saying the same things over and over.

In an effort to keep this page from becoming a mile long I am making liberal use of the spoiler tag. Click it to expand a section.

First and foremost:
We will not write your homework for you. Period.
We will not just give you code for your problem even if you don't identify it as homework.
Spoiler

Read both of these articles:
Stages of asking for homework help on a forum.
I don't want you to write my code, just give me ideas on how to solve my problem.

So students, lets go over tlhIn`toq's rules:
Spoiler

Debugging your own code:
Learning to debug one's own code is an essential skill. Sadly, one that apparently no college course teaches. Silly if you ask me.
Spoiler

Keep your code neat and tidy. (I don't care what you do with your dorm room)
If your code is a mess of spaghetti then how can you follow it? How do you expect us to follow it to help you? How can you manage it in the work place when you have to come back to code you haven't worked on in 6 months?
Spoiler

Plan before you bang on the keyboard. (Remember this from the rules above?)
You would not start throwing together random food items, then half way through ask yourself "How should I make a cake?" You would not just start pouring concrete and hammering wood together, then a month later ask "What is the plan for this house?"
Spoiler

Homework logic: Console pyramid, triangle, diamond out of asterisks
Spoiler

Homework logic: Phone number from words
Spoiler

Homework logic: Quiz program
Spoiler

12 Comments On This Entry

Page 1 of 1

Bryston Icon

31 January 2012 - 04:28 PM
Great stuff, some good tips there. Many thanks from a complete beginner.

RudiVisser Icon

05 March 2012 - 03:46 AM

Go get some sleep... food... have a quick shag...

Awesome. But they're Comp Sci students, the latter isn't happening :D

tlhIn`toq Icon

05 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

RudiVisser, on 05 March 2012 - 04:46 AM, said:

Go get some sleep... food... have a quick shag...

Awesome. But they're Comp Sci students, the latter isn't happening :D

The cool nerds may get some... After all 'nerd' is the new 'cool'... Didn't you see Wargames? Even nerdy Broderick got a hottie.

aaron1178 Icon

25 March 2012 - 09:32 PM
tlhIn`toq did I ever mention you are my idol? :pimp: after reading this article about five times, I have just begun to plan my code / project.

THANK YOU :taz:

tlhIn`toq Icon

26 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

aaron1178, on 25 March 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

tlhIn`toq did I ever mention you are my idol? :pimp: after reading this article about five times, I have just begun to plan my code / project.

Glad it helped. I just wish I had more free time to add other common homework scenarios that we keep seeing questions for: The ATM machine, Soda machine, Food server ticket, et.al.

mazetar Icon

05 April 2012 - 02:41 PM
Thanks for creating this :)
I'm not a student so I dont have homework to deliver, but still its a good read for me :)
Thanks

AmbientTech Icon

25 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

I'm not a student so I dont have homework to deliver,

I'm in the same boat. Not really an official student. My homework is what I assign myself. But that does not in the least reduce the value of this article. There are a lot of useful tips and hints in here that, while I may have known of them, never even considered doing that way.
Very sincere thank you.

tlhIn`toq Icon

25 April 2012 - 03:48 PM
I've always taken a fuzzy view on the definition of 'student' and 'homework'.

I don't limit 'student' to

one who is paying for enrollment in an institution designed to slow down learning so they can take lots of your money for 4 years.

Anyone working their way through a self-teaching book, series of books or on-line tutorials, on-line course is a student. They are after all going through a course and learning new material. Most books have exercises at the end of each lesson. The chapter might walk you through building a simple widget. Then the exercise says "Now add the following 5 functions to the widget": That's the homework.

Based on the numerous students I've answered questions for here, I have come to the conclusion that structured courses for introduction to coding is a huge waste of money and a slow-down to actual learning. The students in C# 101 courses seem to learn less than the average "Learn C# in a month" books teach, and it takes them an entire school year to do it.

Personally if I were in those shoes today, I'd dedicate myself to going through all the books and tutorials I can find on-line. I'd learn the 101 and 102 level stuff on my own in a lot less time. Then go sign up for the 103 level course and challenge the requirements to show I know the material; thus putting me 1-2 years and 10-20 thousand dollars ahead of my fellow students (competitors for jobs).

moopet Icon

25 August 2012 - 02:32 AM
"You are not paying for variable names by the byte"

Couldn't have said it better.

Klius Icon

30 April 2013 - 11:14 AM
There are some great tips in this post that i'm going to keep stuck in my head from now on,
so i thought that i should gave you thanks for this helpful post!

Michael26 Icon

13 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

tlhIn`toq, on 26 March 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

aaron1178, on 25 March 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

Glad it helped. I just wish I had more free time to add other common homework scenarios that we keep seeing questions for: The ATM machine, Soda machine, Food server ticket, et.al.

Are you gonna update this tutorial?

tlhIn`toq Icon

14 January 2014 - 05:39 AM
Nice to know this still gets read. My life calms down the middle of next month and I'll have more free time. So yea, I'll probably get back into doing more tutorials. Thanks for nudging me on this article as I honestly forgot about updating it with other scenarios.
Page 1 of 1

Trackbacks for this entry [ Trackback URL ]

There are no Trackbacks for this entry

September 2014

S M T W T F S
1415 16 17181920

Recent Entries

Search My Blog

1 user(s) viewing

1 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)