Subscribe to From the noob        RSS Feed
-----

First project

Icon 2 Comments
So I'm working on learning C#, and I thought what better way to learn than to make something? My first project will be a simple game, I'm going to build on it over time. The eventual end result will be a text-based game that pays homage to one of my most favorite games of all times, Legend of the Red Dragon or LORD as it was known back in the day. I'm not going to clone it, but I am definitely going to use some of the same basic ideas. LORD was arguably one of the first "MORPG" (Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) games ever made.

For those of you who weren't born, didn't frequent BBSes, or just simply didn't know about them here is a PHP example of a LORD clone.

So essentially the first task will be to create the "forest fights". This was how you gained experience in the game, how you gained money to buy weapons and armor, and there were special random events that affected the character.

My implementation will be a bit different. There will essentially be at least 3 character types: Warrior, Mage and Thief. Each will have Health points and either Magic Points or Endurance Points. A normal attack will not cost MP or EP, however using special attacks will. Eventually, I will add in an Inn and Healer to restore these points.

First of all I will be implementing basic combat.

Type A to attack.
Attack does x + random damage
Monster attacks and does random damage between x and y
rinse and repeat until someone is dead.

Sure this isn't all that fun, but it's a start. Eventually, I think it would be neat to gui it up. But for now, I kinda want to do the console app.

What do ya'll think?

2 Comments On This Entry

Page 1 of 1

JackOfAllTrades Icon

23 October 2010 - 05:06 AM
L.O.R.D. wow...brings back memories of setting that up on my 2-node BBS back running under DESQView in the early 90s.

Tharkis Icon

25 October 2010 - 09:52 AM
Actually I set one up not too long ago, until the hard drive on that computer died. There's a lot of people who still run them with telnet interfaces. I still log in to a few now and again.
Page 1 of 1

Trackbacks for this entry [ Trackback URL ]

There are no Trackbacks for this entry

October 2014

S M T W T F S
    1 234

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Search My Blog

1 user(s) viewing

1 Guests
0 member(s)