How a programmer reads your resume (No, really.)

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 5759 Views - Last Post: 23 May 2009 - 05:37 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How a programmer reads your resume (No, really.)

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

mikeblas,
What company do you work for and what do they do? I ask because although this information you gave will be very useful it would be most useful for applying for jobs at similar companies to your own, so this would be good to know.

Also what are "document slingers" and "scrum"? (I'm new to all this stuff really)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

I work at Valve. We make computer games, but I work on Steam. I've been there a little more than two years. I was at Microsoft for almost fifteen years before that; there, I worked on Visual C++ and SQL Server, and a couple of other projects. Before that, I did consulting work for insurance companies and banks, mostly--doing some database work and systems software development. I've written a few books and a bunch of magazine articles.

It's very important to remember that the opinions I've expressed here are entiriely my own; I'm not instructing you at how to get a job at any particular company, nor am I saying that doing any certain thing will guarantee your employment anywhere. Every job, company, candidate, and interview is different.

Scrum is a formalized agile development practice, focusing mostly on the management of the process rather than the actual engineering or development practice.

A document slinger is a term I made up. It refers to someone who's involved with a project but does nothing more thna paperwork, planning, or tracking--they don't contribute to the product in a technical way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:58 AM

wow, my resume fails the test. VB is the first language I listed, I listed Word/Excel in my skill set...hell, this cartoon says I shouldn't be a programmer should be a plumber.

This post has been edited by Pwn: 23 May 2009 - 05:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:37 PM

Very helpful guys thank you!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +