Software Development on a (New) MacBook

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

34 Replies - 3237 Views - Last Post: 19 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

#16 cfoley  Icon User is online

  • Cabbage
  • member icon

Reputation: 1989
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,124
  • Joined: 11-December 07

Re: Software Development on a (New) MacBook

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

View Postmarkhazlett9, on 19 Apr, 2009 - 04:11 PM, said:

Secondly, the biggest perk for OS X is it's ability to do graphics work. In other words if you're in web development I don't think I would choose anything else.


I've heard this before, and I know back in days of yore, macs had better synchronisation with the monitor. These days that is sorted out on all platforms, yet graphics is still very commonly cited as on of Macs' strong points. What keeps macs ahead in graphics work these days?

And indeed web development?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 KYA  Icon User is offline

  • g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

Reputation: 3101
  • View blog
  • Posts: 19,141
  • Joined: 14-September 07

Re: Software Development on a (New) MacBook

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:13 AM

Perhaps plug n play was not the best example wordage. How about wide range compatibility instead?

This post has been edited by KYA: 19 April 2009 - 11:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 markhazlett9  Icon User is offline

  • Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

Reputation: 60
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,666
  • Joined: 12-July 08

Re: Software Development on a (New) MacBook

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:15 AM

View Postcfoley, on 19 Apr, 2009 - 10:12 AM, said:

I've heard this before, and I know back in days of yore, macs had better synchronisation with the monitor. These days that is sorted out on all platforms, yet graphics is still very commonly cited as on of Macs' strong points. What keeps macs ahead in graphics work these days?

And indeed web development?



I agree that it is commonly used with all OS's. In my opinion the one thing that makes mac's more commonly used for graphics/ video/ photo work is the display. The mac's all come with a spectacular display that can be configured to the nine's for color, white point, etc. I think that's what makes it the most commonly used.

View PostKYA, on 19 Apr, 2009 - 10:13 AM, said:

Perhaps plug n play was not the best example wordage. How about wide range compatibility instead?



haha ok I may agree with that :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#19 c0mrade  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 20
  • View blog
  • Posts: 412
  • Joined: 16-November 07

Re: Software Development on a (New) MacBook

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:19 AM

Jesus christ..

Quote

If I wanted UNIX...I'd use something that's actual *nix.

Seriously? How is OS X any less of a UNIX than Linux???

Quote

Either bask in the total freedom *nix offers or enjoy the plug n' play compatibility Windows boasts. Why constrict yourself?

Uh.. yeah, why restrict myself if OSX offers the plug and play compatibility of Windows with the total freedom of UNIX. That's like saying "why install KDE when you can have the total power of Linux"...


Please guys.. if you know what your talking about help me out. If not, stop ruining this thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 KYA  Icon User is offline

  • g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

Reputation: 3101
  • View blog
  • Posts: 19,141
  • Joined: 14-September 07

Re: Software Development on a (New) MacBook

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:25 AM

View Postc0mrade, on 19 Apr, 2009 - 11:19 AM, said:

Jesus christ..

Quote

If I wanted UNIX...I'd use something that's actual *nix.

Seriously? How is OS X any less of a UNIX than Linux???

Quote

Either bask in the total freedom *nix offers or enjoy the plug n' play compatibility Windows boasts. Why constrict yourself?

Uh.. yeah, why restrict myself if OSX offers the plug and play compatibility of Windows with the total freedom of UNIX. That's like saying "why install KDE when you can have the total power of Linux"...


Please guys.. if you know what your talking about help me out. If not, stop ruining this thread.



OS X tries to have both and ends up with neither. How am I ruining the thread?

Not entirely unrelated, but one mouse button??. My productivity is severely hampered ;)


edit: In the spirit of not wanting to derail any further, I apologize for not liking Macs and providing info on why I don't like them.

This post has been edited by KYA: 19 April 2009 - 11:32 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#21 markhazlett9  Icon User is offline

  • Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

Reputation: 60
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,666
  • Joined: 12-July 08

Re: Software Development on a (New) MacBook

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

View PostKYA, on 19 Apr, 2009 - 10:25 AM, said:

OS X tries to have both and ends up with neither. How am I ruining the thread?



I don't think you're ruining the thread. It's good to have opinions from both sides.

Using OS X for pretty much my entire life I will say this... There are definitely times when doing things on Windows is easier. Now that being said, I find this to be solely because the Windows market share is still so large that lots of companies will solely develop for Microsoft platforms. I think that will gradually change as OS X gains more market share.

View PostKYA, on 19 Apr, 2009 - 10:25 AM, said:

Not entirely unrelated, but one mouse button??. My productivity is severely hampered ;)



It's a good thing the news ones don't even have one button then :)...lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#22 c0mrade  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 20
  • View blog
  • Posts: 412
  • Joined: 16-November 07

Re: Software Development on a (New) MacBook

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

View PostKYA, on 19 Apr, 2009 - 10:25 AM, said:

View Postc0mrade, on 19 Apr, 2009 - 11:19 AM, said:

Jesus christ..

Quote

If I wanted UNIX...I'd use something that's actual *nix.

Seriously? How is OS X any less of a UNIX than Linux???

Quote

Either bask in the total freedom *nix offers or enjoy the plug n' play compatibility Windows boasts. Why constrict yourself?

Uh.. yeah, why restrict myself if OSX offers the plug and play compatibility of Windows with the total freedom of UNIX. That's like saying "why install KDE when you can have the total power of Linux"...


Please guys.. if you know what your talking about help me out. If not, stop ruining this thread.



OS X tries to have both and ends up with neither. How am I ruining the thread?


1. You have not answered any of the questions I asked
2. When I did respond to your opinionated posts, you continued your argument without addressing any of the points I made in my response.
3. You continue to argue repeat yourself, without making any progress in your argument. Your posts are the equivalent to 10 year old's arguing: "yes it is.. no it isn't.. yes it is.. no it isn't.. yes it is...".

We get it that you are not for Mac's, you could have easily stopped at one post. I would have taken your opinion into consideration.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#23 c0mrade  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 20
  • View blog
  • Posts: 412
  • Joined: 16-November 07

Re: Software Development on a (New) MacBook

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:38 AM

Quote

edit: In the spirit of not wanting to derail any further, I apologize for not liking Macs and providing info on why I don't like them.

You have me wrong. I would love to hear why you don't like Macs, the problem is you haven't provided this information.

Your opinion is that your feel Mac's are too user friendly and restrict the power of their unix base. What have you done where the Mac's user friendliness got in your way? What have you not been able to do on a Mac that you could do on "pure" unix?


EDIT:

Quote

Not entirely unrelated, but one mouse button??. My productivity is severely hampered

This is one of the reasons I'm looking into the MacBook now. Their new design has no button (technically), the button is part of the glass trackpad (the bottom of the trackpad clicks). So you can configure the left side to left click, and the right side to right click.

Also gestures are really cool.

This post has been edited by c0mrade: 19 April 2009 - 11:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#24 markhazlett9  Icon User is offline

  • Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

Reputation: 60
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,666
  • Joined: 12-July 08

Re: Software Development on a (New) MacBook

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:47 AM

I would also like to point out the power of the development tools that come standard in OS X(Which is another great feature.. you never have to pay for development tools)... There are applications like instruments, which is an application to assist you with finding memory leaks, etc in your applications. Another is jar launcher, having the ability to natively launch jar's if you're a java developer this is huge. Also XCode which is one of the best C/C++/Obj. C IDE's I have ever used. This comes along with a ton of other developer tools which all come standard on you mac. So as for development on a mac I personally prefer to use it over anything else....

As for power of UNIX, google has released a plugin called Mac Fuse which allows you to mount something like 300 different file systems on your mac including your NTFS, EXT3,2 volumes. So if you are dual booting and need to go and grab a file from your windows side, the drive is mounted on your desktop and you have the entire Windows file system there if you need it. Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#25 c0mrade  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 20
  • View blog
  • Posts: 412
  • Joined: 16-November 07

Re: Software Development on a (New) MacBook

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

Quote

Another is jar launcher, having the ability to natively launch jar's if you're a java developer this is huge

Sorry, is that different to "java -jar thejear.jar"?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#26 markhazlett9  Icon User is offline

  • Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

Reputation: 60
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,666
  • Joined: 12-July 08

Re: Software Development on a (New) MacBook

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:55 AM

View Postc0mrade, on 19 Apr, 2009 - 10:54 AM, said:

Quote

Another is jar launcher, having the ability to natively launch jar's if you're a java developer this is huge

Sorry, is that different to "java -jar thejear.jar"?



Not sure what you mean by that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#27 c0mrade  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 20
  • View blog
  • Posts: 412
  • Joined: 16-November 07

Re: Software Development on a (New) MacBook

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:57 AM

To run a jar I would just do "java -jar TheJar.jar" on the command line, and the jar would run.

Do you mean something different? It's not really important.. you just threw me with that sentence.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#28 markhazlett9  Icon User is offline

  • Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

Reputation: 60
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,666
  • Joined: 12-July 08

Re: Software Development on a (New) MacBook

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:00 PM

Oh no it's pretty much the same thing as that on linux. You can do that same command on OS X, but the jar launcher allows you to just double click on the jar file and it will launch just like a regular application.

Cheers

ps. On OS X you have a full bash terminal so alot of the commands you are using on Linux will go un-changed on OS X

This post has been edited by markhazlett9: 19 April 2009 - 12:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#29 KYA  Icon User is offline

  • g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

Reputation: 3101
  • View blog
  • Posts: 19,141
  • Joined: 14-September 07

Re: Software Development on a (New) MacBook

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

I'm sorry, but is that really a reason to drop 2 grand on a notebook?

I could not help myself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#30 markhazlett9  Icon User is offline

  • Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

Reputation: 60
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,666
  • Joined: 12-July 08

Re: Software Development on a (New) MacBook

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:03 PM

View PostKYA, on 19 Apr, 2009 - 11:01 AM, said:

I'm sorry, but is that really a reason to drop 2 grand on a notebook?

I could not help myself.



Specs on a 2 grand macbook... btw for 2 grand you can upgrade pretty much everything on a macbook. Check it and compare it to a PC you like with the same specs. http://support.apple.com/kb/SP500
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3