• (3 Pages)
  • +

34 Replies - 3330 Views - Last Post: 19 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Software Development on a (New) MacBook

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:08 PM

As much as I despise Alienware, their 2 grand notebook has better stats. Look, I'm sorry for giving the appearance that I want to argue or flame macs, I don't. But the notion that the ability to single click a jar is a selling point of the mac platform is a little shaky.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

View PostKYA, on 19 Apr, 2009 - 11:08 AM, said:

As much as I despise Alienware, their 2 grand notebook has better stats. Look, I'm sorry for giving the appearance that I want to argue or flame macs, I don't. But the notion that the ability to single click a jar is a selling point of the mac platform is a little shaky.

haha one of many features KYA. As it is a feature I do like, I would not be sold on that feature alone either.

And I don't think you're flaming at all... I appreciate hearing from people who are "opposed" to mac's. Gives perspective you know

@Comrade

What I would do in your situation if you're wondering about how well development is on OS X then maybe head down to the apple store, they have all the dev tools installed there so you can try them out. Or if you don't want to do that find a friend willing to borrow you theirs for a day and give it a try and decide for yourself. We could all make arguments for and against and much as we want but in the end it's what you're comfortable with.

Cheers

This post has been edited by markhazlett9: 19 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:31 PM

I know, and I have.

But you can't really tell what it's like to live with something after using it for a day. Asking for opinions here is just a part of the decision making process.

@KYA, You finally mentioned something with actual merit ;). The cost is really the biggest drawback. Btw you still haven't given me reasons for your opinions, I wasn't kidding, I am interested to hear them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#34 cfoley  Icon User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:03 PM

You double click jars to run them on windows too. When you install the SDK or the JRE it creates a file association with javaw -jar. It's all done during the installation so from the user's point of view, it just works. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

View Postc0mrade, on 19 Apr, 2009 - 01:31 PM, said:

The cost is really the biggest drawback.

Agreed. My computer (HP Pavilion dv6000) is better than a lot of Macs that my friends have...and I paid like...half the price. :D :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +