3 Replies - 993 Views - Last Post: 19 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to nail an interview

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:52 PM

I'm looking for some feedback on how to prepare for an interview, what to do, how to act, etc...
Something similar to the 'How a programmer reads your resume (No, Really)' topic

Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to nail an interview

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

Well I would like to think there is a sure fire way of nailing an interview. But lets face it, it all depends on the company and both your needs and your employers needs.

There are some jobs you just won't be suited for. What you can do however is increase your odds by understanding the company, dressing nice, be presentable and courteous and identify what the employer is looking for in their candidate. Plus of course, especially in IT, know your stuff!

Most employers are looking for drive, the ability to adapt, can hit the ground running and come as a value to the company at a reasonable price. After all, it is just like they are buying your service. Just like the products at the grocery store, products which have a great presentation, has a reputation for being good, works well and fits well with the customer's needs gives you the best opportunities.

Typically I like to research the company, know the name of key people, understand the office culture, and come up with great answers to some common questions like strengths, weaknesses, where you can be the most effective in a companies business. If you see that you can greatly improve their web product with some few changes, mention that. Try to quantify it. Employers like it when you say things like "With little cost and a few changes, I could make this application 25-35% more efficient which will result in potential business of $29,000." Same with costs... "With this change I can cut the cost of your service by 10% which can help you make it cheaper to your clients and snag more business.

If you look good, know your stuff and how you will fit into the company then the better you will be to pitch yourself to them and feel them out. However, don't let your anxious desire for a job outweigh warning signs. I have run into many of them in my job hunting including "how expendable would I be". "Is this a solid gig or are they trying to fill something that might be short term?" "Where is the money coming from to pay me?"

That last question has served me well. I went to one company once where I asked that and asked if they were on startup capital or had a solid business plan. Their answer was very shady and didn't quite jive with my expectations. I thought I wanted the job until that answer. Lets just say that ever since then I have kept up with them and STILL they are looking for someone to fill that job.

Oh and one last tip, do have some questions ready for them as well regarding their company and operations. Be genuine in asking and listen to the answer. They like interviewees who show interest beyond the paycheck. Try to avoid talking about pay your first interview. If they call you back for another, then perhaps you can talk more about money.

:)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 19 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How to nail an interview

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:49 PM

Good stuff, thank you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +