• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 1982 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

The Importance of Honours Math

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

How important is math in programming? I know it's sizable but would it be really necessary for me to stay in honours? If anything should come up in programming I can always learn it through other means (like I got a book on algorithms now and algorithms won't be learned in class for another 3 or 4 years). I fairly average, in and around 50-70 percent, but the work is increasingly getting harder and even with the teachers and my parents help my grades are failing.

Edit:
Honours is the "higher" maths and I'm in my second year in secondary education.

This post has been edited by abgorn: 20 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The Importance of Honours Math

• Black Hatter

• View blog

Re: The Importance of Honours Math

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

dude, don't do math it's not worth it, you'll probably graduate sooner if you do drop it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

View PostZerobu, on 20 Apr, 2009 - 09:26 AM, said:

dude, don't do math it's not worth it, you'll probably graduate sooner if you do drop it

It would help me graduate sooner but it'll lighten the load because in pass for a test it's only maybe 5-7 chapter, in honours it 12+
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:58 AM

just do normal math. you will be fine. if your struggling, it would be much better to do easier math and get a better grade than to not do so well. its not that big of a deal at this point for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

i dunno about u guys, but i prefer the serious math stuff because i tend to analyze algorithms from a mathematical perspective.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 KYA  Icon User is online

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:11 AM

We have so many math threads floating around nowadays.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:40 AM

It sounds like your a high school sophomore, so I'm guessing your in Algebra II honors having completed Geometry and Algebra I. In my school, if you stay in honors math from Algebra II, you go onto Precalc/Trig honors, then AP Calculus. If you drop out of honors afte Algebra II, add a year of regular trig before Precalc/Trig honors. From precalc/trig honors, you can also drop down to Calculus I (less than AP).

I would suggest staying in honors unless you're really not doing well in it. Good luck. And if you have math problems, post them in the Student Campus forum. Remember, there are more than 200k nerds on DIC to help!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• May Your Swords Stay Sharp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:04 AM

If you are doing bad in honors math don't worry about it, I had terrible teacher and book so old it was missing important pages for honors math and resulted in a low b grade, then had to get a wavier signed for in order to take AP Calculus. Then in AP calc had a good book and teacher and so easily got an A+ in the class. It depends on the material available and the teacher if you should take it or not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bastard Operator From Hell
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

Depends on the teacher, I am in AP Calculus And I am getting A average. back in Honors Geometry I failed the class because the teacher wasn't clear and we had to use some 20 year old books.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

Honors math isn't all it is cut out to be, I am a senior in High school currently, and I wish I hadn't taken the highest level math class available to me this year. I am swamped with other college level classes and my math grade is going down because I don't have the time (and need to pass 2 other classes to graduate) so I don't spend all my time on math, but I need other things more.

I figure I will retake this year in college just so I can understand it enough to feel comfortable. Take it easy on the math, it isn't something that is totally required through life, and really depends on what you are going into with college and a job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• class Me : Perfection
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:09 PM

I've been in honors math ever since it was available to me, and i've always got high A's in it, so i've never really had a problem like this. In fact, where i come from you are actually kicked out of honors if you have less than a B average for a quarter grade. If you are struggling, well, dropping out might be good if you are failing, at least then you will be able to keep passing grades. The disadvantage is being in AP looks really good when you apply for colleges, and dropping out might mean you won't be able to get into as good of a school. It also doesn't look great if you are doing horrible in AP either, so it really comes down to the question of how determined you are to be in a high math class. Other than that, i really don't have much to say.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:15 PM

Moving this thread to the Student Campus. Good discussion guys!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 KYA  Icon User is online

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:16 PM

You know what's sad? I took AP Calc as a junior in high school, didn't really apply myself got a C. I took calculus my senior year got an A. Took Calc I and II in college, got A's. :lol:

So apply yourself!

This post has been edited by KYA: 22 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:34 PM

Drop it.I'll be honest I have a decent grade but if I had to I could do really well but I think that Concentration on What you really and love that will seriously help you matters.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:32 AM

Do you really want to do maths? Do you think it would be a great deal of help in your job? This is something that you need to think about and not be influenced by other people's opinions.

But my opinion, nevermind if your grades are failing now. The chances of improving now are far greater than dropping even more. On the other hand, Maths is not of high importance in programming so I would also say demote levels to pass and ensure that you can suceed in the more important subjects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +