• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 1206 Views - Last Post: 03 May 2009 - 11:22 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

My first Website!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

:) Hello all.

First of all this isn't spam, there's no ads on this page that I'll get money from extra traffic, I just honestly want everyone's opinions.

I've been following a tutorial from learnflash that has helped with the ActionScript and I've got a bunch done, but I'm not quite finished.

Http://www.zumiephoto.com

I finished my home page and added some content. If you can't tell I'm pretty excited about it.

So my questions are, does it look okay in everyone's browsers?
Any and all suggestions of course.
I'm using google analytic's.

Of course I'm going to finish the content on the rest of the site, but what should be my next steps!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My first Website!

#2 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My first Website!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:10 PM

I'll take a look in a second, but first thing's first. Moved to site check :)

Okay, my first little issue is that most of it isn't complete - no content. Other than that the colors look nice. It seems functional, and looks appealing.

The only other thing that I have a problem with is the dual navbar look. While the second one is just for the current page (fromw hat I can tell) I would urge you to change the background colors, or take the background gradient out all together. That way you don't have 2 of the same looking things right next to eachother (which can be a little repetitive).

The top navbar looks nice, I like that it has the little moving line on the bottom, that makes certain that the user knows what link they are currently over, and adds a move HTML feel to the site (likely a good thing as many people still don't like flash sites). The only thing I would change with it is have the white rectangle (on the current page) with rounded corners, not much but noticeable, and then make it a little shorter, like 4 pixels and center it along the y-axis of the navbar, so it will have a little outline of the navbar background visible around the link (I think that would look pretty cool).

Looks pretty nice so far, and I would really like to see what the finished product turns out to be :) Keep it up.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:16 PM

Sorry for my "childish" thoughts. Is it just me or does the image seem like someone is giving you the finger?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:09 PM

View PostBetaWar, on 20 Apr, 2009 - 08:10 PM, said:

I'll take a look in a second, but first thing's first. Moved to site check :)

Okay, my first little issue is that most of it isn't complete - no content. Other than that the colors look nice. It seems functional, and looks appealing.

The only other thing that I have a problem with is the dual navbar look. While the second one is just for the current page (fromw hat I can tell) I would urge you to change the background colors, or take the background gradient out all together. That way you don't have 2 of the same looking things right next to eachother (which can be a little repetitive).

The top navbar looks nice, I like that it has the little moving line on the bottom, that makes certain that the user knows what link they are currently over, and adds a move HTML feel to the site (likely a good thing as many people still don't like flash sites). The only thing I would change with it is have the white rectangle (on the current page) with rounded corners, not much but noticeable, and then make it a little shorter, like 4 pixels and center it along the y-axis of the navbar, so it will have a little outline of the navbar background visible around the link (I think that would look pretty cool).

Looks pretty nice so far, and I would really like to see what the finished product turns out to be :) Keep it up.

Thanks for putting this in the right place!

I'm still working on the rest of it, but I couldn't help but to show everyone. It takes a ton of AS to make a site work! WOO!

I agree, I changed from a navbar, that animated onto the screen and was white, I won't go into detail but anyways I scrapped it, and ending up taking the navbar from the top and copy pasting it, I think I'll change the gradient to a soft blue on the bottom.

I don't completely understand, I think you mean to make the highlight go above the navbar with rounded corners like you see on a lot of HTML sites. I have it centered on the X axis right now, but they're all the same Y coordinates, so if I centered it on Y it wouldn't move at all. *scratches head* Sorry, I'm not understanding.

*category 5 brainstorm*

Wait! Do you mean it shorten in height, so you can see a bit of the gradient on top and bottom?

hmm, that's a mighty fine idea. I'm gonna try that.

*Update, with a rounded highlight, and a new navbar color on the home page only for comparison*

EDIT: Eww, the color I chose ended up blending quite awfully with the background. Oh well, more tomorrow.

View Postfirebolt, on 20 Apr, 2009 - 08:16 PM, said:

Sorry for my "childish" thoughts. Is it just me or does the image seem like someone is giving you the finger?

I suppose that it does, I'll add more work soon and get that pesky gesture off the home page. :P

This post has been edited by Dorito_125: 20 April 2009 - 10:11 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:11 PM

It's a lot better than anything I could ever think up. What is the purpose of this site?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 21 Apr, 2009 - 11:11 AM, said:

It's a lot better than anything I could ever think up. What is the purpose of this site?

Thanks! It's going to be my portfolio.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:06 AM

When I view it on my laptop (15in is pretty standard), it starts to use the VScroll Bar. So I would just make it a little bit smaller in height so it can suit almost all screen sizes.

Yes.. and the background doesnt really suit (for me anyways). Also, the font on the Contacts doesnt fit in with all the other fonts.

But this is all my own opinion which you dont have to go by.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

View Postfirebolt, on 23 Apr, 2009 - 02:06 AM, said:

When I view it on my laptop (15in is pretty standard), it starts to use the VScroll Bar. So I would just make it a little bit smaller in height so it can suit almost all screen sizes.

Yes.. and the background doesnt really suit (for me anyways). Also, the font on the Contacts doesnt fit in with all the other fonts.

But this is all my own opinion which you dont have to go by.

What's your resolution?

The contacts font is just a place holder until I can make a real contacts page - agreed.

I'll see if I can't make it a bit shorter, was the width okay in your laptop?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

Nice, it flows a lot more now :)

I like how the galleries page looks and the contact page looks pretty good so far too :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

What's your resolution?

It is 1280 by 800 and the width was perfect. But now the wine glasses interfere with the nav bar. Was that intended?
Heres a screenshot.
Attached Image

Oh yeh.. If you cant do anything about it, change back the height to what it was originally. Don't want to make too much trouble!

Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

You're right, dude. It does look like I'm being flipped off :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

View Postfirebolt, on 23 Apr, 2009 - 04:50 PM, said:

What's your resolution?

It is 1280 by 800 and the width was perfect. But now the wine glasses interfere with the nav bar. Was that intended?
Heres a screenshot.
Attachment attachment

Oh yeh.. If you cant do anything about it, change back the height to what it was originally. Don't want to make too much trouble!

Thanks.

Yeah I changed the stage from 450 px to 400 px and that cut off the bottom of the wineglasses and I didn't like it so I put them higher.

To see what it would look like, trying to get some opinions on that. I'm not sure how I feel about it. But at the same time I want everyone to be able to view it properly maybe I'll change the size of them. That's going to be a tedious job though.
Gah!

:crazy:

I put a real contact page up!

Still working on a products/services page.

What do y'all think sounds better, products/services?

I'm gonna be offering more services, but I could package them into bundles and call them products too. who knows.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:37 AM

Update!

Made some pretty decent changes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• blub

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:50 AM

View Postfirebolt, on 21 Apr, 2009 - 04:16 AM, said:

you mean those wine glases??? :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:40 AM

Yes.

Also, cant get the link working. (Date: 30/4, Time:5:40pm AEST)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +