NEWBIE to FTP and all things related.

Issues with understanding FTP - using filezilla. Also a host question.

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 492 Views - Last Post: 23 April 2009 - 07:19 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

NEWBIE to FTP and all things related.

Post icon  Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:12 PM

Hey everyone! You guys seem to really know your stuff so I'm confident I'll find some help here. I browsed through the entries before becoming a member. I didn't have much luck with the problems I've been having.

I am VERY familiar with webdesign, coding, graphics, and blogging. I've been doing websites (as favours and for personal use) for YEARS... I've even owned my own domains in the past making only ONE major mistake. I used the cheap "cloak URL" option rather than taking the time to learn how to use FTP software.

I recently downloaded FileZilla - as it seemed to be the one most recommended. I have NEVER done any FTP stuff in my life. I'd like to finally have my OWN space, banner and ad free, that has extension links like

www.yourdomainhere.com/images/picture01.png - you know?

Well, I have NO idea how to get FileZilla to connect. I'm hosted at bravehost and am considering transferring, but I'll get to this eventually.

How can I get filezilla to connect? What information will I need and where do I get this?

Also, I'm not sure how much of a fan of bravehost - any suggestions on another company I could transfer to that is a little more user friendly?

Thank you all SO much!

-DangerB-

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: NEWBIE to FTP and all things related.

• Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: NEWBIE to FTP and all things related.

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:23 PM

Hello,
Well I don't know what bravehost do but you nroamlly create a ftp account.
So you have a server Such as ftp.yourdormain.com then you have a username:ftp_name@yourdormain.com(could be different)
Password:something.

If you need some help really badly I'll come and do it via IM for a small fee.

Also Look into Chmod It's to do with Writing and loading pages

All the best :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: NEWBIE to FTP and all things related.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:19 AM

I like HostMonster for hosting, personally. Their uptime is usually great and their cPanel is amazingly easy to figure out. As far as FTPing, I use FireFTP (a FF addon) and I love it. But regardless of what FTP client you're using, sbell is right - you'll have to create an FTP login in your hosting account.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1