0 Replies - 656 Views - Last Post: 23 April 2009 - 09:38 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Portfolio Generator - My Project

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:38 AM

Ok, I have been working on this for quite some time now and would like to get some feedback on it. Dream In Code has helped me out a lot with this project and I'm sure it wouldn't be as good as it is without the DIC help that I received.

Let me explain a little bit what the project is about and then I will let you know what I would like the DIC community to do for me.

The Portfolio Generator (not as cool as it sounds) was first created to store information that librarians would add into a database on their computer via the program and then it would take that information and export into a word document that was somewhat formatted but allowed them to go through and add their own style (so it is very bare bones). This soon grew to include an excel document as well, and this all started with a static database.

After the first release of it, people wanted a database that they could make the fields, and so that is what I have given them. The ability to add/edit/delete/create fields and tables at anytime through their use of the program. They start out creating a database, then they can add other fields and tables to it later. The information is all stored and can be backed up and restored, etc...

That is a brief description (any questions just ask).. Now what I want all the good people here at DIC to do is download it, try it, tell me what you think - How could it be better? What can I add to increase functionality? How was the UI - to cluttered, easy to navigate, everything named logically? Etc.. Just whatever you want to say about it - good or bad, I want to hear so that I can make this program as awesome as possible.

I attached a zip file and since the code is to big this just contains what you need to install it on your computer. There are some system requirements however - Microsoft Access is needed for the database (I would have used SQL Server but the librarians are not allowed to have that), also word and excel, I am not sure if it will work on a Mac - never been tested, and I think you will need the .net framework, and possibly some other stuff that I don't know about because all the computers here already have it. So let me know if any issues come up in that department as well.

That is kind of a long post I know, but I look forward to hearing any feedback that you guys have for me on this.

Alright, well it won't attach so here is a link to a place you can d/l it from...Here

Also, I decided to upload all the code and stuff to the same place, diff link though Here

A quick note: I used Visual Studio 2005 and VB.NET

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Page 1 of 1