3 Replies - 1405 Views - Last Post: 26 April 2009 - 10:17 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Game(Engine) Ideas

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:34 PM

Hi, now i want to thank you all for your help, i have thought about this and made my decision.
i have also had a speak with some friends about it, those who dont know what im talking about, read my other topics or i can explain here...

My Game ideas:
3D FPS Sci-Fi Game, Im a big fan of crysis and im gonna steal some of their ideas about the jungle, the engine features, etc. So i'd want a game engine like the crysis game engine (NOT ALL THE FEATURES AND GRAPHICS THO, just a simple bad remake!)
I have been watching alot of behind the scenes how they made crysis and i got very interested, i know lots of guys who dont like crysis because it sucks ass, its bad because you maybe cant handle it, but even if i couldnt, i completed singeplayer campaign and started with my monster rig, however, back to topic.

Im new to C++ and i'd prefer that language as most uses it and its the most powerful language creating games.

I have some 3d experience so i can make models with.
I got the basics about C++ and now im gonna code my game engine and go on with DirectX coding the shaders to my engine.
But first im gonna give you an overview about how it looks from my perspective.

Game engine:
LAN Support (Maybe online, but not yet i think if its to hard)
DirectX 9 or 10/OpenGL, - what would you like?
Sound support
Map editor with a feature so you can click a button and it generates a map for you! - my friend did that but hes very good at C++ programming and i dont wanna bother him asking because he will just say that its hard.
Good Rendering Device - Friend can fix
My own script language or lua - Im good at lua
Import/Export feature
Singeplayer with Co-Op

The singeplayer is gonna be a designed storyline which you can like spawn 2 enemies and you can script them and edit the most you want, Thats how my gameplay is gonna be

Im using a physics engine which is pretty bad, but can i like download nvidias physic engine or can you like link me any good ones?
So all these i have listed about the game engine, can you try give me tutorials about that? ofc i will find most of this myself, but id stll want some help.
Also i may have forgot to add some stuff because im so tired, but when im back again ill edit it as fast as possible, tell me if this is possible for 3 guys, me, my friend(very good), another thats a 3D modeler (Experienced)
They are working on their own engine but id like to help and make my own engine aswell so i can learn something from this.
If you dont got a clear view about what this is all about, forgive me lol and ill add more...
(Im working on an "engine" where you can spawn a box and its included physics and you can move with an fps camera, but i wouldnt call that an engine, it has no features, nothing, just a game!)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game(Engine) Ideas

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game(Engine) Ideas

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

Moving to Game Programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

Sounds like a very cool and ambitious project. Have you done much programming? If not get good at programming first. Learn the language inside and out. C++ is a very good language for game programming.

Have you made many games? If not you might want to try a couple simple games, like Tetris and Pac Man. Tetris will introduce you to a lot of game programming concepts such as timing and collision detection. Pac Man will introduce you to the idea of AI. In the original game each of the ghosts had their own separate goals. One would try to find the shortest path to Pac Man, another just wandered around aimlessly, etc.

Have you done much 3D programming? If you haven't you might want to explore that first. The learning curve can be a little steep. Look at DirectX and OpenGL, see which one you like better. Use the one that you like and you think you can finish your project in.

About scripting, I don't know Lua so I can't say. In my XNA games I use XML. If you are good with Lua you might be better using that.

Try and do your project with you like.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

Ok thanks, will find something about DirectX then
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -