Anyone up for making a small game?

Programmers look here!

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

21 Replies - 16383 Views - Last Post: 13 January 2011 - 03:42 AM

#1 Intermission  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 42
  • Joined: 25-April 09

Anyone up for making a small game?

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:57 PM

Hey everyone,

I am new here and I have always wanted to create a game for a while now, I am a Animator, texture artist and 3D modeler so I can take the role of a few jobs. But I am not a programmer, which is a problem. So i was wondering if a few of you skilled programmers would like to take on the challenge of creating a game. I also know some people who could help with the art side of things.

We could talk about the specifics later.

PM me or post here,

thanks,

Intermission

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Anyone up for making a small game?

#2 JackOfAllTrades  Icon User is offline

  • Saucy!
  • member icon

Reputation: 6039
  • View blog
  • Posts: 23,441
  • Joined: 23-August 08

Re: Anyone up for making a small game?

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:13 PM

Moving to Post a Job
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Intermission  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 42
  • Joined: 25-April 09

Re: Anyone up for making a small game?

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:52 PM

Sorry for the lack of info guys, but I am really open to anything, hopefully keeping it small, maybe a RPG or FPS

but like I said all i need is programmers I got the rest of the team taken care of
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is offline

  • Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

Reputation: 5191
  • View blog
  • Posts: 26,903
  • Joined: 10-May 07

Re: Anyone up for making a small game?

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:10 PM

View PostIntermission, on 25 Apr, 2009 - 06:52 PM, said:

but like I said all i need is programmers I got the rest of the team taken care of

What exactly does the rest of the team consist of?

Audio, sound effects, voice actors, plot, story line, graphics?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Intermission  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 42
  • Joined: 25-April 09

Re: Anyone up for making a small game?

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:18 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 25 Apr, 2009 - 05:10 PM, said:

View PostIntermission, on 25 Apr, 2009 - 06:52 PM, said:

but like I said all i need is programmers I got the rest of the team taken care of

What exactly does the rest of the team consist of?

Audio, sound effects, voice actors, plot, story line, graphics?



graphics are all pretty much covered, the rest are all pretty easy to obtain, and as for plot/storyline we will talk about that after i find programmers to walk with
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is offline

  • Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

Reputation: 5191
  • View blog
  • Posts: 26,903
  • Joined: 10-May 07

Re: Anyone up for making a small game?

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

Can you provide a website, or snapshots of examples of your previous work? It could generate some more interest.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Intermission  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 42
  • Joined: 25-April 09

Re: Anyone up for making a small game?

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 25 Apr, 2009 - 05:22 PM, said:

Can you provide a website, or snapshots of examples of your previous work? It could generate some more interest.


i can try,

i can post some old examples of my mapping and ill try to find some old models, as for animations i cant provide previous examples right now but i can throw something together
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Intermission  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 42
  • Joined: 25-April 09

Re: Anyone up for making a small game?

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:33 PM

http://www.game-arti...-first-map.html

thats my first map, so you can see i can throw together a map both indoor and outdoor settings.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 SixOfEleven  Icon User is offline

  • using Caffeine;
  • member icon

Reputation: 945
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6,342
  • Joined: 18-October 08

Re: Anyone up for making a small game?

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:50 PM

I'm going to pester you a little. :)

Do you have any idea what language and graphics API you want to use?
Are you interested in a scripting language?

As to making a game, it would be a good idea to have some sort of plan that you can present. Many programmers fall into the trap... I want help to make the next great game ... and the project isn't very well thought out and those involved get frustrated and quit. I know I've fallen into this trap once.

When you have a good idea and a plan you might get a few more bites.

I don't know who said but somebody said:

If you fail to plan, plan to fail.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 Intermission  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 42
  • Joined: 25-April 09

Re: Anyone up for making a small game?

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

its all good,

as for language im thinking C++ or we can go really simple and go flash game. As for the plan like I said I don't have a plan thats what i want the team to decide after, so that the game is fun for everyone to work on
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 SixOfEleven  Icon User is offline

  • using Caffeine;
  • member icon

Reputation: 945
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6,342
  • Joined: 18-October 08

Re: Anyone up for making a small game?

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:06 PM

View PostIntermission, on 25 Apr, 2009 - 05:55 PM, said:

its all good,

as for language im thinking C++ or we can go really simple and go flash game. As for the plan like I said I don't have a plan thats what i want the team to decide after, so that the game is fun for everyone to work on


For a 3D game I don't think C++ can be beat for performance. I've never really tried Flash so I can't offer any advice on that. If you want help coming up with an idea I would be happy to help you make your plans. I can't help with programming at the moment, I've got too many projects on the go as it is. :)

You could try a third person shooter, those can be fun. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 Intermission  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 42
  • Joined: 25-April 09

Re: Anyone up for making a small game?

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:10 PM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 25 Apr, 2009 - 06:06 PM, said:

View PostIntermission, on 25 Apr, 2009 - 05:55 PM, said:

its all good,

as for language im thinking C++ or we can go really simple and go flash game. As for the plan like I said I don't have a plan thats what i want the team to decide after, so that the game is fun for everyone to work on


For a 3D game I don't think C++ can be beat for performance. I've never really tried Flash so I can't offer any advice on that. If you want help coming up with an idea I would be happy to help you make your plans. I can't help with programming at the moment, I've got too many projects on the go as it is. :)

You could try a third person shooter, those can be fun. :)


only problem with a third person shooter is that the programmers are put to work a lot, and i am not a programmer but i do understand its a long and hard process. but i would def be up for a third person shooter in the 3D department :)

This post has been edited by Intermission: 25 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 SixOfEleven  Icon User is offline

  • using Caffeine;
  • member icon

Reputation: 945
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6,342
  • Joined: 18-October 08

Re: Anyone up for making a small game?

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

View PostIntermission, on 25 Apr, 2009 - 06:10 PM, said:

only problem with a third person shooter is that the programmers are put to work a lot, and i am not a programmer but i do understand its a long and hard process. but i would def be up for a third person shooter in the 3D department :)


Just about any 3D game is a lot of work. Animation and collision detection can both be difficult subjects. If you would like to do a FPS/TPS I can give you a little idea to get you started. A small story line I was working on but due to schedule problems I couldn't finish. It is called Countdown to Destruction. The object of the game is to find and destroy the helicopter and disarm the bomb in 1 hour real-time. I think it could make a good starting game.

Here's the prologue:

Countdown to Destruction

Sgt. Broderick had a problem. It a small snipper force had taken out the rest of the police force. He did a quick search of the station. He didn't find anybody else alive. He grabbed a couple clips for his 9mm and a shot gun with a couple ammo belts from the weapons locker. He put two flack jackets on and headed out into the street.

Just outside the stations shots rang out. Broderick dove behind a lamp post and looked around. Two civilians lay dead in the middle of the street. Broderick cocked his 9mm and took a look around. He could see two men dressed in black battle fatigues with M16s looking down at the dead bodies. Broderick took a deep breath, calmed himself and squeezed a couple rounds at the men in black. The bullets hit them both square in the chest and they fell to the sun baked asphalt. Broderick went over to the bodies and found a radio.

He picked up the radio. "Henderson, Jackson, where are you?" A gravelly voice crackled over the radio. "We have an hour to get to the choppers so we can get out of here before the bomb goes off in an hour."

Broderick cursed to himself under his breath. Where the hell was the bomb and where were the choppers? It was bad enough that Waterton was being terrorized by these thugs, now it looked like there were planning on devastation on a much larger scale.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 Intermission  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 42
  • Joined: 25-April 09

Re: Anyone up for making a small game?

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

Very nice story, maybe if a few coders would be interested we could get this project rolling?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 SixOfEleven  Icon User is offline

  • using Caffeine;
  • member icon

Reputation: 945
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6,342
  • Joined: 18-October 08

Re: Anyone up for making a small game?

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

View PostIntermission, on 25 Apr, 2009 - 06:38 PM, said:

Very nice story, maybe if a few coders would be interested we could get this project rolling?


If you do find some programmers I would like to try and help you co-ordinate the project. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2