7 Replies - 868 Views - Last Post: 29 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

VOIP/VOICE RECOGNITION/SYSTEM CONTROL

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

So, a thread on here got me thinking. What if you could do 90% of your pc related chores with your voice. It would save typing, increase your productivity, prevent carpal tunnel, and let people do what they love to do, talk. I have used MS Office's VR utility, and it is very good. I can almost play Battlefield 2 with just a headset. So I started thinking, what if I could play Battlefield with my headset alone. Or make games that are controlled with only a headset. Or, if that's too zealous an idea, what about a VOIP application that also acts as a VR/System Commander that you could use in games, or better yet, incorporate into games, much like PunkBuster is incorporated into games. The interface would be simple, let the user set 2 buttons, yes, 2 buttons, or even just one button, to toggle between VOIP and VR. Talk with your buddies in game, let them know you're getting ready to throw a grenade/drop artillery/whatever, hit a button, speak a command, and then quick click of a button and you're back to talking to your mates.

Anyway, I haven't even started this project, just throwing it out there to see who might be interested in such an undertaking. I would not necessarily be the person in charge, but I do want to be included in the development of this project, if anybody is interested. I need experience, and this would be a good way to get it.

So, I'm thinking Open Source and free, but let's open discussion on this and see if we can get the ball rolling.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: VOIP/VOICE RECOGNITION/SYSTEM CONTROL

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: VOIP/VOICE RECOGNITION/SYSTEM CONTROL

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

I can see a lot of uses for software such as this, so I don't want to narrow it down to just gaming. I want it to be much more expandable indispensible than that.

This post has been edited by Pwn: 26 April 2009 - 12:54 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:05 PM

View PostPwn, on 26 Apr, 2009 - 11:45 AM, said:

So, a thread on here got me thinking. What if you could do 90% of your pc related chores with your voice. It would save typing, increase your productivity, prevent carpal tunnel, and let people do what they love to do, talk. I have used MS Office's VR utility, and it is very good. I can almost play Battlefield 2 with just a headset. So I started thinking, what if I could play Battlefield with my headset alone. Or make games that are controlled with only a headset. Or, if that's too zealous an idea, what about a VOIP application that also acts as a VR/System Commander that you could use in games, or better yet, incorporate into games, much like PunkBuster is incorporated into games. The interface would be simple, let the user set 2 buttons, yes, 2 buttons, or even just one button, to toggle between VOIP and VR. Talk with your buddies in game, let them know you're getting ready to throw a grenade/drop artillery/whatever, hit a button, speak a command, and then quick click of a button and you're back to talking to your mates.

Anyway, I haven't even started this project, just throwing it out there to see who might be interested in such an undertaking. I would not necessarily be the person in charge, but I do want to be included in the development of this project, if anybody is interested. I need experience, and this would be a good way to get it.

So, I'm thinking Open Source and free, but let's open discussion on this and see if we can get the ball rolling.

Interesting Idea. Now I'm not a huge gamer but it seems that there is really no possible way that you can play a game as well using a headset as with a mouse. So I'm just wondering how you are planning on integrating this in? I think this could be a huge seller especially when it comes to Universal Access. I'm not interested in joining the project at the moment(to many others on the go).

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

You've played squad based games before? Like the Call of Duty-like game where you give commands to your virtual squad (can't remember the name, but it was fairly popular). The interface for giving commands to your squad was horrible. Instead of remembering what buttons give what commands, and there were quite a few, it'd be easier using voice. Also, the commander role in BF2, where you usually just hide somewhere and pull up a map and click to give commands. I think both of these would be great uses for this.

In BF2 instead of clicking with a mouse, just hover your mouse on the area and then say a command like drop artillery or drop vehicle. Or tell squad alpha to move here and squad bravo to attack here.

As far as integrating this, it would could be modular. You have the basic program which is useful in and of itself for basic computer usage, then you can download/install modules that work with this application or that application very well. I mean, the limits are way out there and this can be taken as far as you want. As far as integration, well that would take collaboration with the software developers who make the other software.

Don't get me wrong, I know this is potentially a huge undertaking, and I'm not saying it can be done in a month. It will take lots of planning to get it right. First though, you gotta get a product and let them see it in action before you can sell them on the idea. Could take 5 or 10 years to get it where I envision it.

This post has been edited by Pwn: 26 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:26 PM

Might even be able to get a headstart on production by talking to Microsoft and getting them to license their VR software as an initial base to go off of. Their product is already pretty much integrated into Windows starting with Vista. With Windows 7 coming out, might even be able to get something put into that. Well, ok, little late for that, but you get what I'm saying.

Of course, that would limit it to Windows machines, so maybe that's not the best of ideas. Where to start is the toughest part of a project.

This post has been edited by Pwn: 26 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

Looks like Microsoft is already on this. They have speech recognition already in Age of Empires: AOK. So, this wouldn't be revolutionary, and there are already APIs that can be used.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:28 PM

Some of the Rainbow games have voice recognition as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

So, 3 days and only 2 posts, sounds like nobody is interested.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1