13 Replies - 1318 Views - Last Post: 30 April 2009 - 06:16 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need help desiding how to make the game

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:31 AM

Hey there, Im new here and i have made some desiscions.

Im also new to game programming but i have some friends that can help me
I wanna make a game engine from scratch by myself that supports 3D, all networking like TCP/IP, LAN, DirectX Shaders,can import/export stuff, animation feature, map editor, is there anybody that has the same question like me and have got that answered?

The Game im deciding on: Zombie game, you shall defend and help survivors, shoot the zombies with the guns you can find etc,i know, similiar to the last stand but with lots of more features and 3D.

I have checked the site marek-knows.com and thought about buying the openGL game engine but stll unsure as i want to code in DirectX

So how should i start basically?

Im bored and its boring coding normally C++ apps.
I want to make a huge project like in this series:

Part1: Rendering Device
Part2: Input
Part3: Component and Game screen, Shaders, etc.

Programming Language: C++/C#/XNA
Graphical API: DirectX 10 (Windows vista 32bit)
3D modeling software: 3ds max 2010
Texturing Tool: Photoshop CS4
Sound: ?

I saw the Ghost toast here on DIC aswell, pretty cool and wish i could make it myself but i think its abit to hard, if there were some kinda step-by-step, like i showed.

I have found InnovationEngine but that didnt turn out well because it was most out of date and lots of errors were found, im stuck here..:(

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need help desiding how to make the game

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need help desiding how to make the game

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

Hi there

Wow! Thats a lot of info :P

How much experience do you have in c++? If you have a specific idea it might be easier to focus on just that rather than writing an engine, wouldn't you agree?

I would first like to recommend the Irrlicht Engine its free,open source and it'll have you making games in no time (depending on your c++ experience).

That said its gonna be very hard and time consuming to implement all the features you mentioned but that doesn't mean you shouldn't attempt it. I'm still gonna recommend that you start a little smaller just to get a feel for 3d programming as it is a hell of a lot of stuff to get your head round, even using a pre-built engine like Irrlicht.

Good luck to you and I hope to help you along with more specific questions when the time comes :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:11 AM

well yes i know about the open source engines but i wana make my own so it becomes fun and i actually learn something, the irrlicht, i cant customize that and i cant customize it to like a jungle editor, or can i?
maybe i can, but its very hard to configure i think.
They actually give out the source code?

But if id make my own engine, would it be better?
(ofc it depends on my experience, well, i dont know where to start learning)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:32 AM

:blink: Irrlicht is an engine written in c++ you have to write your own code, it just abstracts out all the low level stuff so that you don't have to spend years learning 3D maths and your chosen API.

But if you are really dead set on writing your own 3D engine then your gonna have to learn some 3D maths as well as OpenGL or DirectX, I personally recommend OpenGL as it is platform independent.

This book is quite good
http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/1558605932

And for the maths
http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/1556229119

As you can see these books have a combined page count of over 1000 pages, its a huge topic which is why most developers specialize in different areas of programming.

if you were to write a game and abstract irrlicht even further then you would get a lot of experience, it is still not gonna be easy and you will see results very quickly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

Well the question is do you want to make an engine then a game or a game?

If you want to make a game then skip building your own engine and use an open source one.

My guess is if you do not know where to start you've... taken a class or two of C++ in high school? stayscrisp is right - start smaller. Grab a well reviewed open source engine and start with getting things to show up.. then move from there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

You are right, im gonna start smaller but i thought that its the same like , FPScreator and C++, its prebuilt shit, it sucks
i think my question was that, is irrlicht prebuilt code you cant change?
something like that

I think im going with the design plans then ill learn DirectX because it looks better than opengl, opengl gets me confused.
But how do you program DirectX, whats the programs you need?
i have the SDK already.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:55 AM

C++ is a programming language it is not "prebuilt shit" :blink:

DirectX is written in C++ so is OpenGL.

I think that maybes you might need to start out with something 2D that gets you comfortable with C++ as a language, I know that this sounds not quite as exciting as an action packed 3D zombie game but it is more realistic.

There are a lot of threads about making all kind of games around these forums, they are very helpful. Read around and listen to what other people have asked and got answers for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:28 PM

View Postxerox23, on 27 Apr, 2009 - 12:45 PM, said:

You are right, im gonna start smaller but i thought that its the same like , FPScreator and C++, its prebuilt shit, it sucks
i think my question was that, is irrlicht prebuilt code you cant change?
something like that

I think im going with the design plans then ill learn DirectX because it looks better than opengl, opengl gets me confused.
But how do you program DirectX, whats the programs you need?
i have the SDK already.

You need a compiler.. some sort of way of creating 3d models or graphics (blender is free, gimp, inkscape, etc).... the libraries.. and you should be off from there. Seriously - go get a book on 'directx game development' and you will have a better idea.

Though I staycrisp is right - start with a 2d and then go from there. I am betting a fist full of Canadian currency that you are fairly new to all of this. Side note Canadian currency is traded in pucks of maple syrup and Canadian bacon.

Prebuilt shit irrlicht is not. I don't know what engines you have looked into using, but I wager you are the one causing the errors not the compiler.

Additionally - why much around with the code of the game engine? Frankly that sounds a bit above your head. I would get the concepts of MAKING a game down, good programming practices, and some experience before you start fiddling with the engines out there.

View Poststayscrisp, on 27 Apr, 2009 - 12:55 PM, said:

C++ is a programming language it is not "prebuilt shit" :blink:

DirectX is written in C++ so is OpenGL.

I think that maybes you might need to start out with something 2D that gets you comfortable with C++ as a language, I know that this sounds not quite as exciting as an action packed 3D zombie game but it is more realistic.

There are a lot of threads about making all kind of games around these forums, they are very helpful. Read around and listen to what other people have asked and got answers for.

word.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:29 AM

stayscrisp you mean like the last stand?
check out the game at www.armorgames.com

Well, i meant that fpscreator was built in C++ but fpscreator is so limited that you cant make your game more customizable, then for that you need c++, sorry i was tired yesterday lol..
And yes i will start with a 2D game right now, do i need a graphic API for that too
like opengl?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:59 AM

Well you could attempt to recreate the last stand but that game is written in Flash Actionscript.

Actionscript as the name suggest is a scripting language and therefore is a bit easier to program in, as in you wont have to write code to return mouse coordinates or draw sprites.

So lets say no....not like the last stand, possibly a space shooter would be quite fun and achievable.

So the best thing to do right now is to design your new 2D game from the ground up before you start trying to learn how to code it, this makes it a lot easier in the long run. You could even make a zombie space shooter clone with attack patterns and so on....if you get my meaning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:51 AM

Yea i get it, zombie space shooter... rofl.
I know what i need to make 3d games, but what do i need to make 2d games?

any graphical API ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:02 AM

Ok well you will need the SDL library, Its is not the only 2D graphics API but in my opinion it is the best and also has lots of more game specific functions. Also if you move onto OpenGL SDL has support for that as well.

Install it by following these instructions.

Heres a hello world to test you have set it up right :D
#include "SDL.h"

#define SCREEN_WIDTH 320
#define SCREEN_HEIGHT 240
#define SCREEN_DEPTH 8

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
	 SDL_Surface *screen;
	 SDL_Surface *bmp;
	 SDL_Rect	targetarea;

/* Initialize SDL */
	 SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO);

/* Initialize the screen / window */
	 screen = SDL_SetVideoMode(SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT, SCREEN_DEPTH, SDL_SWSURFACE);

/* Load test.bmp */
	 bmp = SDL_LoadBMP("test.bmp");

/* Draw the image to 10, 20 */
	 targetarea.x = 10;
	 targetarea.y = 20;
	 targetarea.w = bmp->w;
	 targetarea.h = bmp->h;

SDL_BlitSurface(bmp, NULL, screen, &targetarea);

/* update the screen (aka double buffering) */
	 SDL_Flip(screen);
	 while(1);
}

Exchange test.bmp for an actual bitmap that you would like to load.

Good Luck :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:03 AM

Thanks, i also have another question, Does VS c++ 2008 deliver better performance than VS c++ 2005?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:16 AM

Nope
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -