• +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Swine Flu

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:12 AM

View Postabsynthe, on 28 Apr, 2009 - 06:32 AM, said:

View PostSayMoi, on 27 Apr, 2009 - 01:38 PM, said:

Haha, I was wondering when we'd see this topic appear…

Well, I shall open up an interesting theory. Anyone here heard of essential oils? If not…they're basically natural plant extracts with homeopathic medicinal properties. A bit more interesting…anyone here heard of the Thieves essential oil blend? The legend is that back in the days of the Black Plague, the Thieves wore masks drenched in this combination of oils (clove, cinnamon, lemon, rosemary, to name a few) so they could rob the bodies of dead victims. I predict a sudden sale rise for the Thieves company (harborers of the long-locked-up secret) in the next few weeks…

Now that was intelligent! I love new people :)

LOL…I take that as a compliment regardless of intended insult towards intelligence and/or self-proclaimed nubes… :D
It's a tough job, but someone has to take responsibility for teaching the world's programmers how to have intelligent discussion! (And don't worry, I'll degrade to flaming and petty ranting with bad grammar soon enough. :P)

This post has been edited by SayMoi: 28 April 2009 - 12:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:55 AM

Pg flu, bird flu what ever. Where does it come from? Probably us trying to mutate animals.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:37 AM

It comes from cloning. Ask Dolly (???)

Besides, people have been getting sick from animal viruses for years. Rats carry lots of viruses that make people sick, and lets not forget about Anthrax. ;)

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 28 April 2009 - 05:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:50 AM

Ahh.. Circle of Life and Death.

This post has been edited by firebolt: 28 April 2009 - 05:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

View PostSayMoi, on 28 Apr, 2009 - 01:12 AM, said:

View Postabsynthe, on 28 Apr, 2009 - 06:32 AM, said:

View PostSayMoi, on 27 Apr, 2009 - 01:38 PM, said:

Haha, I was wondering when we'd see this topic appear…

Well, I shall open up an interesting theory. Anyone here heard of essential oils? If not…they're basically natural plant extracts with homeopathic medicinal properties. A bit more interesting…anyone here heard of the Thieves essential oil blend? The legend is that back in the days of the Black Plague, the Thieves wore masks drenched in this combination of oils (clove, cinnamon, lemon, rosemary, to name a few) so they could rob the bodies of dead victims. I predict a sudden sale rise for the Thieves company (harborers of the long-locked-up secret) in the next few weeks…

Now that was intelligent! I love new people :)

LOL…I take that as a compliment regardless of intended insult towards intelligence and/or self-proclaimed nubes… :D
It's a tough job, but someone has to take responsibility for teaching the world's programmers how to have intelligent discussion! (And don't worry, I'll degrade to flaming and petty ranting with bad grammar soon enough. :P)

No, honest to god it was a compliment. I love new smart people that can add to the boards.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:04 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:20 AM

a) there are 7 cases in austin and schools shutting down about an hour away from here . gotta love being close to mexico. i mean normally its good because of the super cheap drugs. but come on .

now i got this email from my gp today :

=============================================

Earlier today the North Texas Conference Committee on Emergency Response was briefed on the Swine Flu outbreak. CUMC members Marji Bishir, Steve Rice, Debby Bowles, and I serve on that committee and participated in this meeting. We agreed that the following communication is appropriate and timely.

We learned that: (1) There is no cure for this disease; (2) By its nature we are at least 2 days behind knowing its pervasiveness because that is the incubation period between its inception and symptoms developing; (3) It is highly, highly contagious. This cannot be overemphasized. (4) The local situation is changing rapidly and the progress of this outbreak in the Dallas County area is a major concern; (4) If present trends continue there is a strong possibility this will be classified as a "pandemic" by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in a matter of weeks, if not days.

If --- please understand "IF" --- a pandemic is declared by the CDC, one course of action is that ALL public places such as grocery stores, schools, and churches will be closed to limit the spread of the disease.

One should also be aware that a true pandemic will overwhelm local hospitals, emergency care centers, and doctors' offices.

The committee members agreed that it is appropriate for us to recommend that each family stock up on staples - food (don't forget your pets), medicines, drinking water, batteries, etc. at your earliest convenience.

You are also encouraged to check the following website for twice-daily updates from the Texas Department of Public Safety: http://www.txdps.sta...sitrepindex.htm.

Needless to say, our first step is to pray for the victims of this disease and for God's intervention to stop its spread.

=========================================================

i'm sorry, but this sounds like a shit load of crazy .
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:22 AM

If this was Ebola I'd be more concerned.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The cheese stands alone..
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:22 AM

NO pig flu in India yet...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:42 AM

I just hate getting sick...ugh. It's spreading just like the flu so its probably a sure thing alot of us here at DIC will eventually get it.

It falls under one of these rules of probability:

P(A happens) = (# times A happened) / (# trials)

# Exclusivity. If A and B can't both happen at the same time (in which case we say that A and B are mutually exclusive), then

P(either A or B happens) = P(A happens) + P(B happens)
# Independence. If B is no more or less likely to happen when A happens than when A doesn't (in which case we say that A and B are independent), then

P(A and B both happen) = P(A happens) * P(B happens)
# Sub-Events. If whenever A happens B must also happen, then B must be at least as likely as A, so

P(A happens) <= P(B happens)

81 cases as of now in the states. 5 has been hospitalized and one dead. How would you figure the odds up on that with population? Roughly 1 out of a 100 dies I guess? If that is true with the population of the states then:

1% of 304,059,724 = 3,040,597 people

Course thats if it becomes a pandemic.

Regardless, I hate being sick and hope I get it early before the meds run out.

This post has been edited by absynthe: 29 April 2009 - 08:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

View Postabsynthe, on 29 Apr, 2009 - 04:42 PM, said:

1% of 304,059,724 = 3,040,597 people

Course thats if it becomes a pandemic.

I *kind of* follow the probabilities, but the three million is a bit extreme…I think it would be incredibly difficult for it to infect every single person in the entire country.

On the other hand, take the Mexican numbers (which I find more reliable that one out of eighty something), and we have…

159 / 2657 = 6% dead = 18,195,520 people dead

1311 / 2498 = 52% of the remaining hospitalized = 148,649,386 people in the hospital

…then even factoring in the small likelihood of every single person getting sick…AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

This post has been edited by SayMoi: 29 April 2009 - 12:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

You guys are stupid. There isn't anything gonna happen. *will be the first one to die*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:52 PM

"Normal" flu kills 34,000 people a year.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bassface
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:05 PM

View PostKYA, on 29 Apr, 2009 - 06:52 PM, said:

"Normal" flu kills 34,000 people a year.

That's true, but a great percentage of that 34,000 being the elderly or young children.

@SayMoi
"I *kind of* follow the probabilities, but the three million is a bit extreme…I think it would be incredibly difficult for it to infect every single person in the entire country."

What country do you live in with 3,040,597 people :blink:.

But everyone made a great fuss on bird flu (not including Asia as its a huge problem there). I mean people panicked when a pigeon was found dead in the street!! It had been kicked by a young child is all. Psh.

My girlfriend was getting worried about this Pig Flu or Swine Flu, we could all die...blah, blah, blah.
I'm not worried at all, people worry over everything these days, the news and newspapers just over exaggerate and make it seem like we will all die soonish.

But screw you all like to see the flu get us on this here island! what...wait...OH FFS SCOTLAND!, i say put fences up at the english-scottish border :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »