5 Replies - 694 Views - Last Post: 28 April 2009 - 11:26 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Mixed feelings.

Post icon  Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:19 PM

Well now that im starting to seriously look into college and my major its becoming increasingly stressful. Im struggling to determine what i want to major in Computer science or Computer programming or maybe software engineer. Ive been using collegeboard.com to help me determine but i'm still at a standstill. Computer programming seems like it would be the best bet for me since i want to just get right into coding and making programs for various things. But then it says that job's for this major are decreasing while it says that Computer scicence major's jobs are expected to increase greatly by 2016. Software engineer havent really looked into it that much so dont know much about the major or job's that i would get out of college for it. And it seems like people are saying that communication is a vital part in either fields. Now i have never been good talking with people i rather keep quiet and speak when spoken to or when i feel like i should say something. I like to think before i talk. I dont have a problem with crowds or talking to people just im not a good conversationist. I say what i need to say and thats it. Anyways i just wanted to vent this and see what people have to say about the 3 choices im juggling and if i might have a problem not being able converse. I hope i dont put it across like i cant read or talk properly from my knowledge i talk fine and can read alot better then a huge majority of my class.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Mixed feelings.

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Mixed feelings.

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:48 PM

Most schools do not have software engineering or computer programming majors... both of those categories usually fall under computer science. If you want to specialize in something like software engineering, you'd have to get your masters. Any jobs in this field will be just fine for years to come.

This post has been edited by thursdayniac: 27 April 2009 - 08:49 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:49 AM

If what you're looking for once you graduate is a programming job at a company, go into Software Engineering. It'll teach you more about the actual software development process. You'll still probably learn a lot of the same things as Computer Science majors, but your later classes will have more to do with making actual code that people will use.

Though it doesn't really matter to companies which major you chose, any of them will work fine. What your major was really is just something that should matter to you.

As for becoming better with communicating, no class can really teach you that. It's all about experience around other people.

This post has been edited by BlakeJustBlake: 28 April 2009 - 12:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:51 AM

I am having the same problem... I'm not that sure at what I should pick either. I love making new websites, and messing with the programs, but I also like fixing computers in general, like putting them together and all that. So I am really confused.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:11 AM

There's not really a "fixing computers" major. If you like hardware more than software you can go with Computer Engineering or Electronics Engineering, but you'd probably be able to get a better job with that than computer repair person. You have to realize that it doesn't really matter what you get a degree in, if you're good at what you want to do, you'll be able to get the job in it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• May Your Swords Stay Sharp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:26 AM

Yes software engineering is more the process to building software. The designing, requirements aspect, etc. You do get alot of programming experience, because in order to practice this you need languages and how they work. You will also take some hardware courses to know at least the basics of this, at least we did. From taking these classes I can now see Software Engineering was the good choice, because I greatly prefer software stuff to hardware.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1