4 Replies - 908 Views - Last Post: 02 May 2009 - 11:51 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Object Databases

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

I posted this in the DB forum, but I'm pretty sure that forum is dead... Sorry mods. I'm really just asking for opinions so I think it goes ok here.
~~~~~

Object databases have caught my attention recently.

Is anyone using object databases in production applications? What options are there?

What are the reasons why object databases are not in more common use?

I mean, in any moderately complex newly developed architecture, we do not aim have many clients interacting with a relational database, we have a business level facade to hide the implementation (This is pretty widespread, yes?) which is generally written in Java or *.Net. So I cannot see interoperability being a major reason to not use object databases anymore. Using an object database would eliminate so much of the mapping complexity, especially in large enterprise projects.

Is anyone familiar with DB4O?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Object Databases

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Object Databases

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

No one? Is this just obvious? Am I missing something?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:04 PM

Like many cases where a purported better tehcnology experiences a lack of adoption, the root causes can be traced to two main elements:

1. Mindset
2. Legacy systems.

I'll speak to #2 first. Most legacy implementations use more standard database models, mainly due to the fact that interoperability was an issue when the apps/systems were put in place. Even new additions to the enterprise scale system need to access the same data, which is already stored in a relational database system. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that a large scale data conversion from one system to another for an enterprise scale business would be a serious undertaking indeed...and the monetary benefits from moving to an object oriented db system likely do not even come close to the costs. :) Technology powers the world, my friend, but business still makes the real decisions. :)

On the matter of mindset...this is something that changes over time, and only if the benefits are proven time and time again. Some people prefer relational, they implement their systems that way, then fall into the point above.

I'm not saying that object database models will not reach enterprise or large scale adoption, but I have worked in several large scale businesses and have not seen it is a primary implementation yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perl Parson
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:32 AM

I don't think you're giving mindset enough credit (blame?). RDBMS are so deeply entrenched that most developers, when approaching data storage questions, automatically think in relational - or, really, SQL - terms, even when it's for an OO system. "I want to retrieve a specific object? What's it's ID/primary key so that I can SELECT on it?" "I want to find objects matching a certain criterion? What field am I searching, so I can write the WHERE LIKE clause?"

So long as programmers reflexively think in terms of SQL, they're not likely to start using non-SQL databases, or at least not as a first choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for the replies

I guess it's just a pity that there is no real open source object database. After more research, I found that Objectivity/DB is the common commercial object database (it even generates relational views to the data, so traditional clients can still access the data.. cool). DB4O is OK, but it's mainly embedded and is not really open source.

I think the future of data storage is storing data in a way that suits the data itself, instead of coercing everything into a relational format.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1