1 Replies - 12609 Views - Last Post: 01 May 2009 - 01:05 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Setting up a Makefile project in Visual Studio

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:05 PM

Hi everybody,
I'm starting to try and teach myself Visual Studio, and I have a project (on my hard drive) whose code is structured like this:

Main Directory
->Object_Folder (contains C++ code to make C++ class)
->->Object_Folder Makefile
->Source_Folder (contains C++ code in headers and .cpp files to which the class in Object_Folder is a wrapper)
-->Proxy_Folder (.cpp Files)
-->->Makefile

The Makefile in the Object_Folder compiles the code in the Source_Folder and the Object_Folder, then links them into a .dll. The Makefile in the Proxy_Folder compiles the code in the Proxy_Folder and links it to the .dll.

After all this background, my question is this:
How do I set up this sequence of actions in a project in Visual Studio, preferably without using absolute paths? Is there a way this can be done? I'm a complete newcomer to Visual Studio, so if anyone could explain how to do this, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Zel2008

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I have Visual Studio C++ Express Edition 2008.

This post has been edited by Zel2008: 01 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Setting up a Makefile project in Visual Studio

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Setting up a Makefile project in Visual Studio

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

Well, since Visual Studio is an IDE it more or less uses a make file itself automatically just when you tell it to "build"

I have never actually setup a "makefile" to work from the directory on a Windows system like I have on the normal Unix/Linux system where you have the makefile and just type "make" in which it will only compile parts that have changed.
Again Windows does this automatically when you select build, in the sense it won't compile items it doesn't have to simply because there have been no changes to them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1