Which programing language is best?

Programing language best for POS/Dealer Program

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 9592 Views - Last Post: 08 May 2009 - 06:24 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Which programing language is best?

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:54 PM

I am considering writing a POS/dealer program specifically for archery dealers. They are what you would consider an orphan group that have some very specific needs but there is not enough of them that any company would go to the time or expense to write a program just for them. Many of these dealers are still handwriting their sales receipts. Therefore they don't have their information in a usable form to be able to make crucial ordering decisions for the next year. Most important is it has got to be free for the dealers because most of them run on a shoestring budget.
I used to be an archery dealer, got hurt in a car accident and physically can't run a shop anymore. I can either rattle around in this house and go insane or I can put my time to good use. This is a group that can certainly use the help. I also have a bachelor degree in accounting so with my background I will also incorporate various reports and charts in easy to read formats that will nudge them in the right direction to keep their businesses healthy and help with their buying/ordering. They are going to need a lot of list boxes and check boxes to keep it really simple for them.
Yes I understand this would be a sizable project. I have always had the ability to take what I read in a book and put it to practical use. The body may be dinged up but the mind still works (most days that is).
I considered keeping it simple and using excel and VB6. I have just finished a little program using VB6 and Word for a small manufacturer so that the dealers have user forms to fill in their information that wasn't too bad. I'm down to the end of it if I can ever figure out how to get it to take the user back to the top of the document after they close print preview and get the user forms to take the data the user inputs and make it the default input for the text boxes in the user form. Evidently those two things are either extremely stupid questions or extremely hard ones. I posted it in the VB6 forum and no answers yet so at least I don't feel so bad about not being able to find it own my own. I am starting to think that it may just be a limitation of VB6 which is why I am a little concerned to try to use it for writing this program.

So here is a summary of what the program needs the ability to do:
1. Program needs to be able to read and write to a database
2. Needs to be adaptable to a bar code scanner and possibly a cash drawer
3. Needs to be able to send to the screen and printer reports, charts, etc....
4. Needs to be able to sort data in multiple ways
5. Needs to be able to do basic math and formatting
6. Needs to be able to email order request to manufacturers
7. Print receipts on plain paper or to a receipt printer
8. Needs to prompt the user for needed information with list boxes, check boxes or user forms.
9. Security past preventing the user from getting in and messing up the code is a moot issue since it will be free for dealers however it would need to be able to send secure emails.

What programing language would be best for this particular application?
What books do I need to get?
What software do I need to get?
Are there any web sites for reference of the particular language you suggest?
What features of a particular language makes it best suited for this application?

Contrary to popular belief old dogs can learn new tricks, it just takes us a little longer to hobble from point a to point b.

Thank you for any help or suggestions you can offer.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which programing language is best?

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which programing language is best?

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

First of all, it really depends what programming language you feel comfortable with. If you feel comfortable with VB6, go ahead with it! There is no programming that can't do something. It all depends on the complexity of the implementation. However, my personal advice would be getting Visual Basic 2008 (based on the .NET platform), since you are familiar with VB. VB2008 will offer easier development and it is supported by Microsoft, while VB6 is already considered outdated. But that's just my advice.

Speaking about books, try browsing Amazon for several books on the topic. I would recommend starting with some introductory guides first. Avoid reference guides if you are a beginner.

About software - this is directly connected to the programming language you are planning to use. If it is a .NET one, then you will probably have to use Microsoft Visual Studio. For C++/Java you will probably have to try Eclipse and/or NetBeans. Well for VB6 obviously you will have to use the VB6 IDE.

The website you probably want to look for reference is Dream.In.Code. We have tutorials that can introduce you to the basics of software development with different programming languages. For .NET languages I would recommend MSDN.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:42 AM

View PostSLake2000, on 5 May, 2009 - 04:54 PM, said:

I am considering writing a POS/dealer program specifically for archery dealers. They are what you would consider an orphan group that have some very specific needs but there is not enough of them that any company would go to the time or expense to write a program just for them. Many of these dealers are still handwriting their sales receipts. Therefore they don't have their information in a usable form to be able to make crucial ordering decisions for the next year. Most important is it has got to be free for the dealers because most of them run on a shoestring budget.
I used to be an archery dealer, got hurt in a car accident and physically can't run a shop anymore. I can either rattle around in this house and go insane or I can put my time to good use. This is a group that can certainly use the help. I also have a bachelor degree in accounting so with my background I will also incorporate various reports and charts in easy to read formats that will nudge them in the right direction to keep their businesses healthy and help with their buying/ordering. They are going to need a lot of list boxes and check boxes to keep it really simple for them.
Yes I understand this would be a sizable project. I have always had the ability to take what I read in a book and put it to practical use. The body may be dinged up but the mind still works (most days that is).
I considered keeping it simple and using excel and VB6. I have just finished a little program using VB6 and Word for a small manufacturer so that the dealers have user forms to fill in their information that wasn't too bad. I'm down to the end of it if I can ever figure out how to get it to take the user back to the top of the document after they close print preview and get the user forms to take the data the user inputs and make it the default input for the text boxes in the user form. Evidently those two things are either extremely stupid questions or extremely hard ones. I posted it in the VB6 forum and no answers yet so at least I don't feel so bad about not being able to find it own my own. I am starting to think that it may just be a limitation of VB6 which is why I am a little concerned to try to use it for writing this program.

8. Needs to prompt the user for needed information with list boxes, check boxes or user forms.
9. Security past preventing the user from getting in and messing up the code is a moot issue since it will be free for dealers however it would need to be able to send secure emails.

What features of a particular language makes it best suited for this application?

Contrary to popular belief old dogs can learn new tricks, it just takes us a little longer to hobble from point a to point b.

Hi, I agree with Core, i would definitely suggest Visual Studio, although you can use the Express versions of the software to try out first if you don't want to buy the full blown development studio.

I started with Java a few years ago, and I'm very good at that and other Object Orientated languages now, well its my job. The Microsoft MSDN is a great help too, you can read it online.

Books-wise, MS do a few C#.NET or VB.NET For Beginners guides, which cover enough basics to do what you need. Most other things you can find on the tutorials or in messages on here.

Security wise, unfortunately .NET can be decompiled using various programs, but there is a free code obfuscator in Visual Studio. There are also functions in .NET for sending emails from within your program.

Hope that helped
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

View PostSLake2000, on 5 May, 2009 - 04:54 PM, said:

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code > sword
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:24 AM

From what I understand of your requirements my suggestion would to use Java.

Java can run on any hardware and Operating System (well any OS which supports the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) which is every OS you need to worry about.

Because Java has 'built in' GUI features you will have a whole package to work with without having to learn a lot of disparate libraries etc.

Java also has excellent online tutorials and reference sources
http://www.dreaminco...wtopic32384.htm
which makes life a lot easier for the developer than dealing with some languages.

As far as 'first book' here are a few good options
http://www.amazon.co...i...8891&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co...r...8911&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co...e...8972&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co...e...8972&sr=1-2
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1