4 Replies - 466 Views - Last Post: 07 May 2009 - 10:10 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is there any programmer here that knows anything about emulator progra

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:44 PM

I am very curious and have a goal of writing my own emulator. I would like to write a simple game emulator at some point when i have enough knowledge. I have read quite alot on emulation and understand some of what i should actually emulate in form of C++.

Is there anyone that has knowledge or experience with emulator proramming?

I would really appreciate any advice or knowledge you have to share.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is there any programmer here that knows anything about emulator progra

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is there any programmer here that knows anything about emulator progra

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

Well, like any project that is actually useful (IMO), you'll need a solid base in the language. Then, you'll probably want to look at one of the game graphics libraries. Allegro and SDL are two popular examples (unless you want 3d, if so, use OpenGL). These will provide you with the basis. You will also need to get your hands on some bitmaps/models to put in your game. A simple mario emulator wouldn't be *too* difficult logic wise, as the game has pretty straightforward rules. Like anything worthwhile, it probably wouldn't be easy, but its much easier than cloning a more complex game. I can't stress enough the need to get a good artist working with you. Without graphics, your game is unplayable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:10 PM

View Postpolymath, on 6 May, 2009 - 02:37 PM, said:

Well, like any project that is actually useful (IMO), you'll need a solid base in the language. Then, you'll probably want to look at one of the game graphics libraries. Allegro and SDL are two popular examples (unless you want 3d, if so, use OpenGL). These will provide you with the basis. You will also need to get your hands on some bitmaps/models to put in your game. A simple mario emulator wouldn't be *too* difficult logic wise, as the game has pretty straightforward rules. Like anything worthwhile, it probably wouldn't be easy, but its much easier than cloning a more complex game. I can't stress enough the need to get a good artist working with you. Without graphics, your game is unplayable.

Thanks for you advice.

I think i was a but vague though, what i meant was a games console emulator. Such as a gameboy (as a feasable starting project). I think you were thinking of a simulator. Maybe im wrong though, does mario come on its own platoform games machine?

I have started using Qt as a framework for Gui programming, im hoping to use this as a basis for emulation. A few emulators were made with Qt. Mainly Pc emulators though.

Just to make it clear, i would like to make an emulator that is capable of playing roms from the original game. I dont mean, simulations, i mean the actual rom. So therefor i will need alot of knowledge of the console itself so i can emulate every part of it, like the cpu and memory addresses.

Maybe graphics and game programming is a better place to start though, emulation is very complex. I havent seen a simple emulated code yet...

thanks, anyone with any help or advice?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

OH. now i understand. It's still very complex. YOu'll need to learn about the architecture. Sorry, whenever i hear emulator i think of my friend blabbing on about his sega and supernintendo emulators :D. ANyway, i understand what you stay. That is very, very difficult. Depending on what kind of exe was used (IE, ELF executables are easier to emulate on linux than other types cause the interpreters already there), you could probably getaway with reimplementing a compatability layer without running in full emulation mode. This is how wine does it as far as i know. SOrry for the misguided information :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:10 AM

View Postpolymath, on 6 May, 2009 - 04:24 PM, said:

OH. now i understand. It's still very complex. YOu'll need to learn about the architecture. Sorry, whenever i hear emulator i think of my friend blabbing on about his sega and supernintendo emulators :D. ANyway, i understand what you stay. That is very, very difficult. Depending on what kind of exe was used (IE, ELF executables are easier to emulate on linux than other types cause the interpreters already there), you could probably getaway with reimplementing a compatability layer without running in full emulation mode. This is how wine does it as far as i know. SOrry for the misguided information :/

Yeah it is a really big challenge, thats why im giving my self plenty of time and resources to complete my goal. I think its achievable though, especially if i start really small. At the moment, im not even attempting to actually write an emlator, im just trying to understand all the componants that need to be emulated and how i would do that. There is alot to think about.

Thanks for your advice
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1