Software used in game development.

Only the programmers software

Page 1 of 1

12 Replies - 9068 Views - Last Post: 21 May 2014 - 04:22 PM Rate Topic: -----

• En man från Sverige!

• View blog

Software used in game development.

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:28 PM

I wonder what kind of programs & tools are used in game development(only the programmer not level design, audio etc)
aside from a IDE. Anyone knows what the dev-teams on places like Blizzard,
Grin, EA etc are using? I guess not every team uses the same software but
similar ones. Guess some of them are using some kind of SVN and stuff like that.

I am asking because I do not know and in a semi-near feature(3 years) I will go
to school and study to be a game developer so I might as well start to learn how
to use the tools that might come up both in school and at a job.

If you know what commercial and open-source programs & tools are/might be used
please tell me both. I don't know if so many Swedish companies uses open-source
so it would be good to see the commercial options too.

Preferably with links to the programs/tools or a name on the company that develop
the programs/tools.

Best regards!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Software used in game development.

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Software used in game development.

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:12 PM

Most large game dev companies write their own tools. It all depends on what engine you're working with, file formats (usually custom ones) etc. It wouldn't hurt to start learning general development tools though. Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

Well IDEs are probably the tools used by every game development companies, so that's pretty obviuos. EA uses Visual Studio (they require the advanced knowledge of this IDE when hiring developers). Microsoft Game Studios uses Visual Studio too. I would assume that major game developmewnt companies mostly use Visual Studio (specifically, Visual C++, included in that major package), since they develop games for Windows and Xbox 360.

Another part of the developer's toolbox in a major company would be the game engine. In the current situation major game developers either develop their own game engines (which are not available for external developers) or buy specific enterprise-level engines (which are very expnsive and are only licensed to game development studios).

Version control is a 'must-have' element in every development environment where the project has more than one code file, therefore, yes, game development companies use source control and collaboration software.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• En man från Sverige!

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

View PostCore, on 8 May, 2009 - 03:33 AM, said:

Version control is a 'must-have' element in every development environment where the project has more than one code file, therefore, yes, game development companies use source control and collaboration software.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe you can describe what a build server is. It sound to me like a good tool(?) to have available.
I am reading a article in Game Developer Game Career Guide, fall 2005 it say this:

"2:12 PM The build just broke! The build server detected a failed build and notified us through a system tray application. I bring up the latest build log and I see that one of the unit tests failed in release mode. Tyson, who is sitting at the station next to ours, says, “Oh yeah, I know what that is. I’ll fix it right now.”
In less than 30 seconds, he makes the change and checks it in. A few minutes later, the build system reports a passing build, and everything is back to normal.

2:17 PM We identify the memory leak. It was a misuse of reference counting. To find it, we first wrote a unit test that showed it failing, and then we fixed it in the physics library. We check in our code."

Is there any open-source options there that a normal developer/develop team can use. I guessing a commercial system would be quite expensive.
About the "check in our code" do they refer to a SVN then or what do the refer to?

I am trying to learn to use SVN but the projects I do now might be a bit overkill for a SVN. Well one project might be suited for SVN but I am stuck there
so that will be tried later on.

This post has been edited by FrozenSnake: 07 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:31 AM

I use an IDE to manage a massive clump of code. I also let people see the source code every time I post something so they can tell me if there's something stupid in it. I'm going to learn how to work on a build farm next semester for design of large programs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

I would love to know this as well but it seems that game coimpanies are pretty secretive about the in's and out's of this type of thing.

I think visual studio c++ is a definite IDE for most game companies which means I have a lot of learning to do on that side of things, good thing is I can pick up software packages pretty easily. :^:

Some version checking software is definitely a very worthwhile thing to learn so I'm told.

What IDE are you using at the minute?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• En man från Sverige!

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:11 PM

I use Visual Studio 2008 (not express). But I am not so familiar with all the things I can tinker with in it. And for SVN i use TortoiseSVN.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:35 PM

I don't really use anything special, just Code::Blocks for the IDE and OpenGL/GLUT with some custom texture headers for my libs. Works great, Completely free, and 100% cross-platform.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

I don't use all the advanced features of the IDE, just the compiler and the completely amazing debugger which can dead-eye most of the bugs I end up hitting in my program at run-time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• En man från Sverige!

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:42 AM

View PostWolfCoder, on 9 May, 2009 - 02:13 AM, said:

I don't use all the advanced features of the IDE, just the compiler and the completely amazing debugger which can dead-eye most of the bugs I end up hitting in my program at run-time.

I read in a article that some companies uses something called PC-lint or another software of the same kind.
Is that something good to learn how to use?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:09 PM

You should use whatever you feel like. That's what game makers/companies do anyway, it just happens that Visual Studio is one of the few things Microsoft did right.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• En man från Sverige!

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:25 AM

View PostWolfCoder, on 10 May, 2009 - 05:09 AM, said:

You should use whatever you feel like. That's what game makers/companies do anyway, it just happens that Visual Studio is one of the few things Microsoft did right.

True true, but it's good to have some knowledge in common used software. Many companies probably uses some type of SVN or similar if I cannot use it they probably hire someone that can :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

Well, the team I'm currently in uses Unity3D for the game development and Github for source control, both are free and easy to use, we may be migrating to cry engine in the future for greater control over the game source code, but generally unity does fine in handling a lot of mundane work such as loading textures, and handling assets. The unity editor is also customizable by user written scripts so we suited it to our needs. Quick shipping is crucial for a game and using a game engine helps a lot in reducing time money and effort in building and shipping the game. It also didn't hurt that I used Python or Boo to script, so generally we can code hard and fast
As for the source control, Github is useful enough, providing many services that you can utilize, and the git repos might reduce build errors since everyone could test on the fly before merging

Generally unity uses monodev to write, and since it is integrated with unity, the compiler compiles quickly and shows errors in the unity engine before allowing it to run, so breaking the build occurs very less when you use strict languages like c sharp or boo
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1