1 Replies - 700 Views - Last Post: 08 May 2009 - 03:55 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Want to use publish and want to end up with one .exe?

Post icon  Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:03 PM

Hi there. I have Visual Studio 2008 Pro. First of all, I realize that an executable gets placed in the bin directory, but I don't want to go there everytime I build by project. Also, building doesn't seem to increase the version number. I want to be able to use the publisher, which increases the version number, but I want to only end up with a single file, an executable. I also want it to be able to check for updates.

Is that even possible?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Want to use publish and want to end up with one .exe?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Want to use publish and want to end up with one .exe?

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:55 PM

View Posttgp1994, on 8 May, 2009 - 12:03 PM, said:

Hi there. I have Visual Studio 2008 Pro. First of all, I realize that an executable gets placed in the bin directory, but I don't want to go there everytime I build by project. Also, building doesn't seem to increase the version number. I want to be able to use the publisher, which increases the version number, but I want to only end up with a single file, an executable. I also want it to be able to check for updates.

Is that even possible?

Well yes and no. You can build your project into an executable but you will end up with a supporting folder of all the elements needed for install.

You have several tools to use in order to distribute your project.

Windows Installer, 3rd party publisher, and the publisher built into Visual Studio professional. If you have express i believe this is not installed.

To find the built in publisher to go Project-><project name> properties. Click the Publish tab.

You can set version numbers, set update locations and for it to auto update ect.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1