5 Replies - 781 Views - Last Post: 11 May 2009 - 08:36 PM

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

New to graphics design.

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

Hi,

I'm a total noob when it comes to graphics. I want to improve the logo for my business and I don't have a clue where to start. I went to a web site about creating logos. They all talk about adobe photoshop or GIMP. I downloaded GIMP but don't have a clue where to begin.

I have a background image that I want to use:

Attached Image

I want to do something interesting with the text that will go on top of it.

I think it will in no doubt be better than what I have:

Attached Image

Or could you perhaps give me an idea where I could learn how to make a logo?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New to graphics design.

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New to graphics design.

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:54 PM

http://gimptalk.com/
^ They have a lot of tutorials and examples of Gimp-created artwork. That is where I learned a lot of Gimp.

HTH
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:58 PM

I'm looking at the link. I found a sort of a beginner tutorial on creating a logo with GIMP. Didn't find it all that hard. Just gotta find a way to do something attractive to the eye. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:01 PM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 8 May, 2009 - 01:58 PM, said:

I'm looking at the link. I found a sort of a beginner tutorial on creating a logo with GIMP. Didn't find it all that hard. Just gotta find a way to do something attractive to the eye. :D

Maybe you could just do it with super-fast polygon evolution :D

This post has been edited by StarBP: 08 May 2009 - 03:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

It depends how in-depth you want to get with your logo creation. The best first step is to get out a pencil or pen, and just doodle what it is your mind.

Don't worry if the drawings are "good" or "bad." The idea is to do a few drawings, back to back until something you sort of like comes out.

From there, you can go a step further and ask others in the company to vote on the sketch, or if you want to keep the images secret, just interview them about what imagery they see when they think of your company.

This gets the team involved, and elevates morale -- everyone has an opinion on design!

After you've got something you like on paper, then you should move to Gimp or Photoshop.

A lot of designers will do google image searches to get reference pics -- be sure to alter any pics you grab so not to infringe to hard on copyright laws.

Good luck -- and don't be afraid to sketch with pencil, crayons, and even paint!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:36 PM

View PostSolaris, on 11 May, 2009 - 08:24 PM, said:

It depends how in-depth you want to get with your logo creation. The best first step is to get out a pencil or pen, and just doodle what it is your mind.

Don't worry if the drawings are "good" or "bad." The idea is to do a few drawings, back to back until something you sort of like comes out.

From there, you can go a step further and ask others in the company to vote on the sketch, or if you want to keep the images secret, just interview them about what imagery they see when they think of your company.

This gets the team involved, and elevates morale -- everyone has an opinion on design!

After you've got something you like on paper, then you should move to Gimp or Photoshop.

A lot of designers will do google image searches to get reference pics -- be sure to alter any pics you grab so not to infringe to hard on copyright laws.

Good luck -- and don't be afraid to sketch with pencil, crayons, and even paint!

Thanks for the advice. My company is just a small business that I use to show case the books I wrote. I'm thinking of adding a selection of short stories to the site. I've got something simple that I like. I was trying to make it like a bookshelf.

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1