1 Replies - 723 Views - Last Post: 11 May 2009 - 12:05 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Scala

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:58 PM

You know when you find out about something, and the more you learn the more excited you get, and then you get to a point and the light bulb goes off and your just thinking "yes! this is exactly what I have been subconsciously craving my whole life"?

Well, "my whole life" may have been a bit of an exaggeration, but that is the feeling I've got about Scala.

It's one of these alternate languages for the JVM, so compiles down to Java-compatible bytecode, and seamlessly utilizes all of Java's libraries.

But unlike this wave of big, dynamic languages (Ruby, Groovy, etc.), it is statically typed and small. Compared to Java, it actually has less features. However, it provides an elegant extensible base upon which high level concepts can be gracefully implemented. It does this by blending ideas from the world of functional programming, with those of the object oriented world.

For example, Ruby, Groovy, and Python, all make life easier for programmers by providing native syntax for lists and maps. The Scala language has no built in list or map syntax, but is built in an extensible way which allows it's collection library to achieve the same effect.

Has anyone else used Scala? Are the same light bulbs going off in your head?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Scala

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Scala

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:05 AM

I'm learning Scala right now mostly to teach myself object orientation, and allowing me to remain programming in a functional style.

What you describe happened to me when I learned Clojure, but Scala is an awesome language all the same, Clojure is just /my thing/. Scala is a pleasure to use.

Singleton objects for the win!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1