7 Replies - 1939 Views - Last Post: 15 May 2009 - 11:02 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Interview Questions

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:32 AM

I have an upcoming interview for a php developer position. I do know that I will be asked to write some scripts, so I was wondering if anyone knows what I should brush up on or what are the most common questions that are asked?

Thanks a bunch.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Interview Questions

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Interview Questions

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:37 PM

I'd probably use knowledge of OOP to filter out a lot of less serious PHP programmers.

Other than than, not sure. PHP is a supposedly simple language but has a TON of weird corner cases. They could quiz your knowledge of those to try and gauge your experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

It wouldn't hurt to do some homework on the company, & maybe get a feel for what work they do.

Other than that, it's really hard to say. Just study the basic, b/c you really don't want to botch those!

Most importantly... Best of luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:06 PM

Perhaps the biggest problem on the web is scale. It's easy to write a simple website; we get resumes all the time from "experienced web developers" who've done nothing larger than a site for their church, for example. I like to see people who have done more serious project that have thousands of users, millions of hits, and stress related systems--the back-end database or the file system supporting the web server.

If a candidate has impressed me that he's got the basics down, I'd probably work on asking questions about the finer points. How do you tune a PHP script that is using too much CPU? How do you measure how much memory a PHP script is using, and how can you address a script that uses too much memory? What debugging techniques do you use? How do you approach rolling out changes to large-scale sites?

I would take the programming for granted, nearly; either you know software development (particularly in a simple scripting language like PHP), or you don't. If you do, then you're able to think about the important things: how do you make your customers happy? How do you keep your site up even under load? How do you practically manage changes and decide what to do with your application based on your unlimited requests for improvements and limited resources on the team and on the servers?

The way we interview proves the candidate's core competency before exploring where they are with these less tangible skills and decision-making requirements.

This post has been edited by mikeblas: 12 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:41 AM

Hey,
I'd like to thank you all for your help.
To be honest mikeblas, that's where I'm at, I haven't worked on a major site like you've stated. Turns out, the minimum qualification was knowing how to scrape a site in php. I hadn't heard of that term or method until that day...On another note does anyone know of a free php ide that comes with php.exe installed? I have php expert editor, but when I run the code I get an error: "php.exe not installed" and "php may not be installed on machine". I thought when I downloaded the editor that it would automatically be installed, so forgive me for my ignorance.

This post has been edited by W3B5T4R: 13 May 2009 - 08:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:16 PM

View PostW3B5T4R, on 13 May, 2009 - 07:41 AM, said:

Hey,
I'd like to thank you all for your help.
To be honest mikeblas, that's where I'm at, I haven't worked on a major site like you've stated. Turns out, the minimum qualification was knowing how to scrape a site in php. I hadn't heard of that term or method until that day...On another note does anyone know of a free php ide that comes with php.exe installed? I have php expert editor, but when I run the code I get an error: "php.exe not installed" and "php may not be installed on machine". I thought when I downloaded the editor that it would automatically be installed, so forgive me for my ignorance.

That does not bode well for you being hired as a PHP developer...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:58 AM

good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:02 AM

Requirement #1 of a professional project: Be able to setup a development environment.

If you can not setup your own development environment your not done yet, back in the oven with you. I think this is doubly so for PHP since to really be a PHP developer you should understand how PHP fits in with the web server.

Take the time to work it out -- it will help a great deal.

Learn about some of the associated tools as well, such as source control.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1