10 tips for programmer want to be's

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

19 Replies - 2602 Views - Last Post: 12 May 2009 - 06:48 PM

#1 jammmie999  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 117
  • Joined: 01-April 09

10 tips for programmer want to be's

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:13 PM

Hi guys what do you think of my list of top 10 tips for programmer want to be's.

http://jamie.giggig.co.uk/blog/?p=67

Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 10 tips for programmer want to be's

#2 girasquid  Icon User is offline

  • Barbarbar
  • member icon

Reputation: 108
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,825
  • Joined: 03-October 06

Re: 10 tips for programmer want to be's

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:24 PM

Your post could use some more content - try turning each of your entries into a heading, and then writing a paragraph(or two) underneath each with your reasoning for why that entry deserved to be a heading. "Go mobile. Make your website work on a mobile phone (www.giggig.co.uk/mobile) Make a Mobile App." doesn't really make me think "I need to go out and do that".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Raynes  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 611
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,815
  • Joined: 05-January 09

Re: 10 tips for programmer want to be's

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:45 PM

The correct term is 'wannabe'. ;)

I'm not going to comment on number 1.

I suggest you proof-read it, and spell check it as well. I don't really think Hacking has much of anything to do with becoming a programmer. Maybe a script-kiddie.

"good look becoming a programmer"

"... don't bother becoing a programmer."

Just a few typo's I noticed.

This post has been edited by Raynes: 11 May 2009 - 02:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 c0mrade  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 20
  • View blog
  • Posts: 412
  • Joined: 16-November 07

Re: 10 tips for programmer want to be's

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

Quote

I have chosen these 3 because I am bias to .NET, and it is the biggest Software development Language.

Is it? News to me... (Back up your statement)

Quote

You will need PHP to create Dynamic Web Applications.

Good advice, god knows how one would develop a web application without PHP! (</sarcasm>)

Quote

HTML is the core Web Programming language.

HTML is not a programming language. HyperText Markup Language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is offline

  • Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

Reputation: 5345
  • View blog
  • Posts: 27,296
  • Joined: 10-May 07

Re: 10 tips for programmer want to be's

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

View Postjammmie999, on 11 May, 2009 - 03:13 PM, said:

Hi guys what do you think of my list of top 10 tips for programmer want to be's.


I think it's a shame you can't just post them here, & actually be a part of our community. Instead you would rather camp & leech visitors just for your blog...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Raynes  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 611
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,815
  • Joined: 05-January 09

Re: 10 tips for programmer want to be's

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:51 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 11 May, 2009 - 08:00 PM, said:

View Postjammmie999, on 11 May, 2009 - 03:13 PM, said:

Hi guys what do you think of my list of top 10 tips for programmer want to be's.


I think it's a shame you can't just post them here, & actually be a part of our community. Instead you would rather camp & leech visitors just for your blog...


Well shit. I have a blog as well, that isn't on this site. The leech visitors part I can understand, but it's alright to have my own blog right? :blink:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 jammmie999  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 117
  • Joined: 01-April 09

Re: 10 tips for programmer want to be's

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:40 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 11 May, 2009 - 08:00 PM, said:

View Postjammmie999, on 11 May, 2009 - 03:13 PM, said:

Hi guys what do you think of my list of top 10 tips for programmer want to be's.


I think it's a shame you can't just post them here, & actually be a part of our community. Instead you would rather camp & leech visitors just for your blog...


I am not trying to 'steel' all of the visitors. That is why I have links back to DIC and MSDN and CodeProject etc. See the Left naviagtion bar.

I have taken all of your comments in to consideration so please can you take another look and see if it meets your expectations

http://jamie.giggig.co.uk/blog/?p=67

Thank you

This post has been edited by jammmie999: 11 May 2009 - 11:54 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Pwn  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 19
  • View blog
  • Posts: 458
  • Joined: 25-November 07

Re: 10 tips for programmer want to be's

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:53 PM

View Postjammmie999, on 12 May, 2009 - 12:40 AM, said:

I am not trying to 'steel' all of the visitors. That is why I have links back to DIC and MSDN and CodeProject etc. See the Left naviagtion bar.


I don't normally follow links, so I'm not reading what you have to say.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 no2pencil  Icon User is offline

  • Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

Reputation: 5345
  • View blog
  • Posts: 27,296
  • Joined: 10-May 07

Re: 10 tips for programmer want to be's

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:03 AM

View PostRaynes, on 11 May, 2009 - 11:51 PM, said:

Well shit. I have a blog as well, that isn't on this site. The leech visitors part I can understand, but it's alright to have my own blog right? :blink:

There is a difference between having a blog (& even promoting your blog), & flat out starting a topic that's actually very interesting, that only points to your blog.

View Postjammmie999, on 12 May, 2009 - 12:40 AM, said:

I have taken all of your comments in to consideration so please can you take another look and see if it meets your expectations

I don't see why you can't post the content here... you could even point it back to your blog.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 KYA  Icon User is offline

  • g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

Reputation: 3105
  • View blog
  • Posts: 19,144
  • Joined: 14-September 07

Re: 10 tips for programmer want to be's

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:12 AM

That's what I was thinking.

Quote

content


From link
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is offline

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 9258
  • View blog
  • Posts: 34,735
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: 10 tips for programmer want to be's

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:28 AM

View PostPwn, on 12 May, 2009 - 12:53 AM, said:

View Postjammmie999, on 12 May, 2009 - 12:40 AM, said:

I am not trying to 'steel' all of the visitors. That is why I have links back to DIC and MSDN and CodeProject etc. See the Left naviagtion bar.


I don't normally follow links, so I'm not reading what you have to say.


I second this.. that and if you wanted me to read it you should have just posted it here and cited the location.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 Raynes  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 611
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,815
  • Joined: 05-January 09

Re: 10 tips for programmer want to be's

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 11 May, 2009 - 11:03 PM, said:

View PostRaynes, on 11 May, 2009 - 11:51 PM, said:

Well shit. I have a blog as well, that isn't on this site. The leech visitors part I can understand, but it's alright to have my own blog right? :blink:

There is a difference between having a blog (& even promoting your blog), & flat out starting a topic that's actually very interesting, that only points to your blog.

View Postjammmie999, on 12 May, 2009 - 12:40 AM, said:

I have taken all of your comments in to consideration so please can you take another look and see if it meets your expectations

I don't see why you can't post the content here... you could even point it back to your blog.


Very good point my friend.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 baavgai  Icon User is online

  • Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

Reputation: 5846
  • View blog
  • Posts: 12,703
  • Joined: 16-October 07

Re: 10 tips for programmer want to be's

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:18 AM

Quote

Number 1 .NET (C Basic, C#, C++) Number 2 PHP number 3 HTML.


I'm afraid I kind of stopped paying attention after this. Since "C Basic" isn't part of .NET and listing the Cs really misses the point of the thing. HTML is rudimentary, saying HTML is needed for web development is a little like saying letters are required for word processing.

Getting it right in the opening; that's a good tip, I think.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 Nykc  Icon User is offline

  • Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

Reputation: 729
  • View blog
  • Posts: 8,642
  • Joined: 14-September 07

Re: 10 tips for programmer want to be's

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:32 AM

Also wasn't this an actual post from Tech Republic about a month back?

Let me look for the link. I mean this was a real familiar read.

edit - here it is http://blogs.techrep...10things/?p=643

Of course the wording is different, but the point is the same.

This post has been edited by Nykc: 12 May 2009 - 11:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 Winstinology  Icon User is offline

  • I'm pretty good with a laser mouse..
  • member icon

Reputation: 7
  • View blog
  • Posts: 958
  • Joined: 08-May 08

Re: 10 tips for programmer want to be's

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:38 AM

I suggest saving up cash to purchase that Notepad software..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2