4 Replies - 589 Views - Last Post: 20 May 2009 - 10:13 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Experienced opinions

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:15 PM

I am at best a middling coder. I have dabbled briefly in java and some some others but up to now the focus of my oft divided attentions has been VB.net.

I know enough to break things but not enough to do the really cool interface with external devices or create skynet on my laptop type things.

So my question is, would it be better for me to focus on vb.net(to learn how to bring about the end of the world or at the very least create an artificial girlfriend that dispenses ice cream from her nipples)
or
start with something a bit more low level like c or c+ and diversify?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Experienced opinions

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Experienced opinions

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:06 PM

Just go with the flow and if you have what it takes you'll get where you want to be in the end...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:22 AM

Firstly, have a good basic knowledge of each language that you have experienced with, and then, if you feel one language may help you, then enhance your knowledge with that one.

But if none feel right, then by all means start another language, but follow the process again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:10 PM

If you know VB.NET, I'd actually recommend learning C#. The syntax is close to that of C/C++, and as another .NET language you'll find an assortment of career opportunities since you would know both.

Of course it all depends on what you're actually doing. If you're doing web development work, .NET (VB or C#) and Java will probably be more valuable than C/C++.

While having a diverse background in many languages can help, it's like the old saying "A jack of all trades, a master of none." If you were really good at 2 or 3 languages, you'll command a higher salary than if you're just okay at 5 or 6.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:13 PM

I would learn the language you like the best first. If you like VB.NET then learn VB.NET inside and out. Once you know VB.NET then go for a C-style language like C/C++, C# or Java. C# would probably be the easiest to pick up if you know VB.NET because they use the same classes (name spaces). I can easily swap VB.NET/C# programs back an forth, though I keep wanting to put ;'s at the end of my VB.NET statements and // for comments. :D

I think you will have the best opportunities for a job if you knew two of the following three:

- A .NET language, VB.NET or C#
- C/C++
- Java

Those seem to be the most used languages, unless you are doing web development. If you look at the number of topics in these forums C++ has over 19,000. Java has over 12,000 and .NET languages combined have about 13,000.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1