2 Replies - 3158 Views - Last Post: 09 March 2005 - 09:26 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Asp .net Database And Frontpage Extensions

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:10 PM

hello, I searched the forums first to see if anyone has had this problem as well, but I was unable to find anything that seems to lead me in the right direction.

I have been working on an ASP .NET (c#) project in visual studio .net in which the user submits a number into an access database. I've gotten everything working correctly when testing on my local machine and local IIS server. I can submit a number to the database and everything works fine.

The problem comes when I try to copy the project over to the server I'm required to use. The only method i've been given to publish files is through frontpage extensions, which is still not a problem because visual studio gives me the option to publish to a frontpage server.
I can upload everything just fine and my asp .net code works, but when I try to submit a number to the database I get the following error:

Status:  System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file 'd:\Inetpub\wwwroot\testing\ip\db\hcdb.mdb'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data. at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.ProcessResults(Int32 hr) at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.InitializeProvider() at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open() at head_count2.WebForm1.btnSubmit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Now I have had this error before on my local machine, and I just had to change the permissions of the folder and the database. After playing with the permissions everything worked fine on my _local_ machine.

With frontpage extensions i have no options to change permissions or anything, but I am thinking that I should not have to, because when i create a database project in frontpage using asp .net. It is able to connect to and use an access database just fine, but thats using the frontpage database wizard.

So right now I'm pretty much lost as to what I should do, and as a last resort i wound up here hoping that someone will point out where I am going wrong.

Let me summarize what I do when I publish my project.

1. make sure everything runs fine on loal machine.
2. change path to database in the ConnectionString to the correct path on the remote server.
3. Save, build project.
4. go to Project->copy project ->frontpage access method, copy all source files in project folder
5. test by accessing the web URL,

Thank you for your help guys.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Asp .net Database And Frontpage Extensions

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Asp .net Database And Frontpage Extensions

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:28 PM

Sounds like you may not have permissions on the folder in which the db resides, or more to the point (if you're using IIS), the anonymous internet user account may not have permissions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Asp .net Database And Frontpage Extensions

Posted 09 March 2005 - 09:26 AM

Yes - You need to configure your IIS to run as a local system user in the administrator group or grant the rights to the anonyomous user.

Neural
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1