5 Replies - 3048 Views - Last Post: 18 May 2009 - 10:35 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Developing Mobile Application

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:39 PM

Hi all,

I am new to this forum but seen response post i think this is the right place to post my question.

I have mobile application to develop which will be requested and download by any phone users. The application will allow users to make selections (like menu) after being downloaded. It has to work with any phone (model or type), not a WAP but just like the normal menus on phones (Phone book, Message etc).

1. What programming language will i need to learn to do this project.

2. Has anybody developed simillar application before that i can see.

Any assistance on this will be appreciated.

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Developing Mobile Application

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Developing Mobile Application

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

I'm going to move this to our "Mobile Development" forum since you're not sure what language you want to develop it in yet.

Thanks and welcome to Dream.In.Code! Good luck with your project!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:18 PM

Well to do it on pretty much any phone it will have to be written in java as non-pda phone don't support much of anything else to be user run.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:10 PM

View PostMezius, on 11 May, 2009 - 10:18 PM, said:

Well to do it on pretty much any phone it will have to be written in java as non-pda phone don't support much of anything else to be user run.

Sorry to point this out, but I doubt he will actually be coding in java unless he's using the android platform. There are a few phones that use java but the majority of them run their own. Such as Nokia, which runs embedded linux using QT/C++, or Apple's iphone, which is a combination objective-C and the cocoa framework. So really except for the android there aren't too many OS's based on java.

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:28 AM

well i'm a bit confused...so java is of no use for most mobile applications? does that include the iPhone? ..

Please, can anyone suggest a language in which it's possible to take care of all aspects of mobile development, GUI, graphics, code? are we saying C++? Surely not necesssary to learn a new language for every type of device? :angry:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:35 AM

View Postcoderinser, on 17 May, 2009 - 07:28 AM, said:

well i'm a bit confused...so java is of no use for most mobile applications? does that include the iPhone? ..

Please, can anyone suggest a language in which it's possible to take care of all aspects of mobile development, GUI, graphics, code? are we saying C++? Surely not necesssary to learn a new language for every type of device? :angry:

Unfortunately that's pretty much exactly what you will have to do. Most companies will in fact make their development proprietary for their devices. Examples include Iphone... language is Objective-C(with absolutely no java support unless it's in a web page), and Android = Java OS/ Java Applications, Sony/Nokia = QT/C++/Java. There are aspects of each language that cover all your bases like graphics, code, etc. But what you will have to do is pick which platform you want to develop for and then learn that language. Unfortunately that's just the way it is.

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1