new to web design and want some advice

Page 1 of 1

1 Replies - 1372 Views - Last Post: 12 May 2009 - 01:12 PM

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

HTML/CSS vs. flash/javascript

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:24 AM

So i'm wondering, currently i'm building my first website... Now it's currently all in HTML/CSS as I wanted to maximize the number of people that would be able to view my site. That being said, with straight html/css and some photoshop skills you can make your site look pretty good. But it still won't be as flashy as say if you add something like flash/ javascript. So in your opinion which is better. This is a personal website as well, just thought I should maybe put that out there. Also, I'm wondering, does javascript/flash limit your user base?

Cheers

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: HTML/CSS vs. flash/javascript

• R.I.P. ( Really Intelligent Person, right? )
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: HTML/CSS vs. flash/javascript

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:12 PM

If javascript/flash limits your user base, yes to some extent. But it's quite minimal, especially if you don't consider people surfing on work computers with limited privileges.

The real issue using javascript/flash is the Search Engine Incompatibility, search engines can't read the contents in a flash movie, and some of them disregard javascript, so if you have to use javascript/flash I wouldn't use it to write/display any content/data. I would though use, at least javascript, to enhance the user experience adding more functionality to my website.

And if you have to choose between javascript and flash I would definitely go with javascript since many applications wouldn't even be able to exist without it!

Hope this helps a little! :)

View Postmarkhazlett9, on 12 May, 2009 - 07:24 PM, said:

So i'm wondering, currently i'm building my first website... Now it's currently all in HTML/CSS as I wanted to maximize the number of people that would be able to view my site. That being said, with straight html/css and some photoshop skills you can make your site look pretty good. But it still won't be as flashy as say if you add something like flash/ javascript. So in your opinion which is better. This is a personal website as well, just thought I should maybe put that out there. Also, I'm wondering, does javascript/flash limit your user base?

Cheers

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1