3 Replies - 800 Views - Last Post: 13 May 2009 - 12:22 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Database Design/Modelling Question?

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:21 AM

I seem to be having a hard time trying to understand a question on one of my assignments.

I can't get ahold of my lecturer, and he doesn't seem to be replying to my emails. The problem then holds that the work has to be in by the end of this week and im stuck.

So i was wondering if someone could break down the question for me and put it into simple mans terms. Im not asking for it to be answered

PLEASE DO NOT ANSWER THE QUESTION, i just want it broken down.

Scenario:

[Fictional Company Name] have commissioned you to produce a news website. The website will contain some static (layout, color, theme etc.) data and some dynamic (News, Authors, Keyword, Dates) data. Each article is limited to 255 characters, and has a single author, a topic keyword and the time and ata of its publication are recorded. An author may write several articles over time, but only one article per day.

Question 1:

Use database design and modelling techniques to specify and document [Fictional Company Name]'s requirements. Using Normalisation and Entity Relationship techniques, design data models matching [Fictional Company Name]'s requirements.

Question 2:
Identify suitable client and server-side technologies capable of supporting required functionality. Identify, document and design web-based management and user interfaces to support defined functionality, including both simple and object-based techniques.

Please Help.

Thanks
Armanian

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Database Design/Modelling Question?

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Database Design/Modelling Question?

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

It's already all broken down, so I'm not sure what you're looking for here. Your classes, texts, and notes must have covered these topics?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:21 AM

to model an assignment such as this, you can find all objects.
For example an author would be an object, and so would an article.
For each such object you can create a table, so you get an authors table and a articles table.
Perhaps the articles can have different topics, and those topics would normally be listed in its own table.

See where you can go from here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:22 PM

I would just like to point out that what I read made perfect sense. In the real world you would be lucky to get specs as detailed as what you have provided.

Beyond that I would agree with what Mr. Trogdor said. Look at all of the different "pieces" and develop tables for each. Then go through your normalization process eliminating your "many" to "many" relationships.

Good luck.
Kurt
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1