5 Replies - 8319 Views - Last Post: 19 May 2009 - 03:18 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How To Make Your Own Programming Language

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:50 AM

Hi I Am New To programing And I Just Wanted To Know If Its Possible To Make Your Own Programming Language
And If Its Possible Could You Post Some Good Tutorials I Know It Wont Be Easy To Do But I Just Wanna Know How To Do It :^: :^: :^:

P.S. I Dont Want Post That Have Nothing To Do With The Topic And That Call Me A Noob

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How To Make Your Own Programming Language

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How To Make Your Own Programming Language

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:32 AM

Yes it is quite possible. In fact there are tons of languages out there. I am also interested in trying to do this and will have to once I get to a certain course in my field. But back to you. Creating a programming language is TREMENDOUSLY hard. First I would point you to articles on compiler design, then parsing. To be honest if your really that ambitious start with compiler design. But I would suggest you start smaller. Usually it takes a lot of experience to do this kind of thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:17 PM

I am currently doing the same kind of thing for my engineering degree. If I remember then I might even post some/all of my code here when I'm finished (still a few weeks away).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:45 AM

RCQ Games,

Making a pretty basic programming language probably isn't as hard as you think, but honestly if you are asking about it then it's probably too much for you right now. I say that mainly because you came in here asking if it was possible; hypothetically speaking, if making "your own programming language" was impossible then where did all of the languages we have now come from?

Do you know any programming languages already? I ask because the last guy who asked your question seemed to be struggling with C++ (as if creating a language would somehow be easier than learning a preexisting one).

Yes it is quite possible. In fact there are tons of languages out there. I am also interested in trying to do this and will have to once I get to a certain course in my field. But back to you. Creating a programming language is TREMENDOUSLY hard. First I would point you to articles on compiler design, then parsing. To be honest if your really that ambitious start with compiler design. But I would suggest you start smaller. Usually it takes a lot of experience to do this kind of thing.

Making a programming language != writing a compiler.

There are a number of ways you could avoid having to write a real (as in source code => machine code) compiler. For one, your language could be interpreted. Alternatively, you could write a "compiler" that parses source code written in your language into something like C, after that you could use something like GCC to compile your program.
Was This Post Helpful? 1

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:43 AM

If your new to programing or struggling with a laguage may i suggest try starting with LUA or VB/VBA LUA is what i started with and it is good for a starting language (at least for me..) if you dont like lua try VB. VB is my 2nd that im working on now i tryed C++ and had problems so i went to VB
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:18 PM

Making a programming language is really not all THAT hard. Sure making one like C++ or Java takes some work -- but making a basic script interpreter is not really all that hard.

Baby steps though. You will need a scanner, and a tokenizer, and a finite state machine (parser). -- none of these are particularly hard.

There are also "parser generators" such as ANTLR (java), Flex, Gold parser which can greatly reduce the complexity of more complex and capable grammars.
Was This Post Helpful? 1

Page 1 of 1