11 Replies - 21536 Views - Last Post: 14 May 2009 - 06:12 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

C# Two Dimensional Array Elements Unknown

Post icon  Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

I have a two-dimensional array that the elements in the array are unknown. This array is to be filled from the values entered into text boxes. Using the for loops I posted earlier to iterate through the array, the values in the textboxes should fill the array and then display in the messagBox. When I run this, the array is 0. So, none of the values entered are being added to the array. My array is 10 rows and 4 columns. 4 textboxes on the windows form represent the 4 columns. The for loop is supposed to add a row, so the next 4 values entered into the textboxes can be added to the array.
decimal [,] futureValueArray = new decimal[10,4]
int numberOfRows = futureValueArray.GetLenght[0];
int numberOfColumns = futureValueArray.GetLength[1];
string values = "";
while (numberOfRows <= 10)
{
for (int i = 0; i < futureValueArray.GetLength[0]; i++)
{
for (int j = 0; j , futureValueArray.GetLenght[0]; j++)
{
numberOfRows++;
numberOfColumns++;
values += futureValueArray[i,j] + "\t";
}
}
}
messageBox.Show(values, "Future Values");

Do I have to add:
futureValueArray[0,0] = txtMonthlyInvestment.text;
futureValueArray[0,1] = txtInterestRate.text;
futureValueArray[0,2] = txtYears.text;
futureValueArray[0,3] = txtFutureValue.text;
for the first row? If so, how do I assign the values for each additional row?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C# Two Dimensional Array Elements Unknown

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C# Two Dimensional Array Elements Unknown

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:43 PM

Are you sure that you have to fill the entire array at once? If so, what is the format that data in the text boxes will be in?? Ie do you want a multi-line text box where each value is on its own line, or are you planning to seperate each value with a delimiter (maybe a comma - CSV).

I noticed a couple of things about your code as well.
-I don't think you need the while loop as the for loops are more than adequate by themselves
-I don't think you need the row or column counts (especially if you get rid of the 'while')
-If you do, wouldn't it make sense to start them from '0'? Currently they start from the max size of the array and count UPWARDS so I'm not sure if they are useful (I could be wrong)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:48 PM

View Postscalt, on 13 May, 2009 - 12:43 PM, said:

Are you sure that you have to fill the entire array at once? If so, what is the format that data in the text boxes will be in?? Ie do you want a multi-line text box where each value is on its own line, or are you planning to seperate each value with a delimiter (maybe a comma - CSV).

I noticed a couple of things about your code as well.
-I don't think you need the while loop as the for loops are more than adequate by themselves
-I don't think you need the row or column counts (especially if you get rid of the 'while')
-If you do, wouldn't it make sense to start them from '0'? Currently they start from the max size of the array and count UPWARDS so I'm not sure if they are useful (I could be wrong)

The while loop is to stop adding to the array when the limit of 10 rows is reached. The counters are to add a row/column. They are starting at the max size? Could you please explain? The text boxes are decimal entries. This is the program as I currently have it written.
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Data;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Text;
using System.Windows.Forms;

namespace frmFutureValue
{
	public partial class frmFutureValue : Form
	{
		public frmFutureValue()
		{
			InitializeComponent();
		}

decimal[,] futureValueArray = new decimal[9, 3];
		numberOfRows = futureValueArray;
		 numberOfColumns = futureValueArray;

private void frmFutureValue_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
		{

}

private void btnCalculate_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
		{
			try
			{
				if (IsValidData())
				{
					decimal monthlyInvestment = Convert.ToDecimal(txtMonthlyInvestment.Text);
					decimal yearlyInterestRate = Convert.ToDecimal(txtInterestRate.Text);
					int years = Convert.ToInt32(txtYears.Text);
					int months = years * 12;
					decimal monthlyInterstRate = yearlyInterestRate / 12 / 100;
					decimal futureValue = this.CalculateFutureValue(monthlyInvestment, monthlyInterstRate, months);
					txtFutureValue.Text = futureValue.ToString("c");
					txtMonthlyInvestment.Focus();
				}
			}
			catch (FormatException)
			{
				MessageBox.Show("Invalid numeric format. Please check all entries.", "Entry Error.");
			}
			catch (OverflowException)
			{
				MessageBox.Show("Overflow error. Please enter smaller values.", "Entry Error.");
			}
			catch (Exception ex)
			{
				MessageBox.Show(ex.Message, ex.GetType().ToString());
			}

}
		public bool IsValidData()
		{
			return
				IsPresent(txtMonthlyInvestment, "Monthly Investment") && IsDecimal(txtMonthlyInvestment, "Monthly Investment") && IsWithinRange(txtMonthlyInvestment, "Monthly Investment", 0, 1000) &&
				IsPresent(txtInterestRate, "Yearly Interest Rate") && IsDecimal(txtInterestRate, "Yearly Interest Rate") && IsWithinRange(txtInterestRate,"Yearly Interest Rate", 0, 20) &&
				IsPresent(txtYears, "Number of Years") && IsDecimal(txtYears, "Number of Years") && IsWithinRange(txtYears, "Number ov Years", 0, 40);
		}
		public bool IsPresent(TextBox textbox, string name)
		{
			if (textbox.Text == "")
			{
				MessageBox.Show(name + " is a required field.", "Entry Error");
				textbox.Focus();
				return false;
			}
			return true;
		}
		public bool IsDecimal(TextBox textbox, string name)
		{
			try
			{
				Convert.ToDecimal(textbox.Text);
				return true;
			}
			catch
			{
				MessageBox.Show(name + " must be in decimal format.", "Entry Error");
				textbox.Focus();
				return false;
			}
		}
		public bool IsInt32(TextBox textbox, string name)
		{
			try
			{
				Convert.ToInt32(textbox.Text);
				return true;
			}
			catch (FormatException)
			{
				MessageBox.Show(name + " must be an integer.", "Entry Error");
				textbox.Focus();
				return false;
			}
		}
		public bool IsWithinRange(TextBox textbox, string name, decimal min, decimal max)
		{
			decimal number = Convert.ToDecimal(textbox.Text);
			if (number < min || number > max)
			{
				MessageBox.Show(name + " must be between " + min.ToString() + " and " + max.ToString() + ".", "Entry Error");
				textbox.Focus();
				return false;
			}
			return true;
		}

private decimal CalculateFutureValue(decimal monthlyInvestment, decimal monthlyInterestRate, int months)
		{
			decimal futureValue = 0m;
			for (int i = 0; i < months; i++)
			{
				futureValue = (futureValue + monthlyInvestment) * (1 + monthlyInterestRate);
			}
			return futureValue;

}

private void btnExit_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
		{
			string values = ""
			for (int i = 0; i < futureValueArray.Length; i++)
			{

counter++;

for (int j = 0; j < futureValueArray.Length; j++)
				{
					futureValueArray[i, j] = monthlyInvestment + monthlyInterstRate + years + futureValue;
					counter++;
					values += futureValueArray[i,j] + "\n";

}
			}
			MessageBox.Show("Inv/Mon" + "\t" + "Int" + "\t" + "Years" + "\t" + "Future Value" + "\n" + values, "Future Values"); //other than the headings of the columns, I either have ten rows of 0 or I get system.decimal().
			this.Close();
		}

private void ClearFutureValue(object sender, EventArgs e)
		{
			txtFutureValue.Text = "";
		}

private void frmFutureValue_DoubleClick(object sender, EventArgs e)
		{
			txtInterestRate.Text = "";
			txtMonthlyInvestment.Text = "";
			txtFutureValue.Text = "";
			txtYears.Text = "";

}

}
}

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:33 PM

What is the purpose of the array? As far as I can see it MIGHT be to store the values of the text boxes every time you click 'calculate'??? If this is for an assignment could you please post the question?

Are you using Visual Studio or Visual C# Express to try your code, or are you just using a text editor? The reason I ask is that the code you provide is full of syntax errors and undefined variables and will not compile for me unless I clean it up a bit.

This post has been edited by scalt: 13 May 2009 - 06:33 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:43 PM

The counters are to add a row/column. They are starting at the max size? Could you please explain?

In your first post it seems as though the your row and column counters (numberOfRows and numberOfColumns) aren't actually doing anything other than control the while loop which isn't actually needed.

They start at the max value because that is what GetLength gives you. GetLength counts the maximum number of entries in the dimension you give it, so GetLength(0) will return 10, so numberOfRows will be set to 10.

If you compile and run your code from the first post (after modifying it so it does compile and run) you will see that when it gets to you while loop, numberOfRows is 10. As it goes through the for loops numberOfRows increases so when the for loops exit it is ~50. This means that the your program will not enter the while loop again and will keep going. Since your while loop only runs once it isn't really being used a loop at all and you will still get the same result if you don't use it (ie delete it but still keep the 'for' loops inside it).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Planeswalker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:18 PM

View Post[email protected], on 13 May, 2009 - 12:39 PM, said:

I have a two-dimensional array that the elements in the array are unknown. This array is to be filled from the values entered into text boxes. Using the for loops I posted earlier to iterate through the array, the values in the textboxes should fill the array and then display in the messagBox. When I run this, the array is 0. So, none of the values entered are being added to the array. My array is 10 rows and 4 columns. 4 textboxes on the windows form represent the 4 columns. The for loop is supposed to add a row, so the next 4 values entered into the textboxes can be added to the array.
string values = "";
{
{
{
numberOfRows++;
numberOfColumns++;
}
}
}

Do I have to add:

There is an error in your code that will cause you problems.

{

In the for j loop you should use 1, not 0.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:19 PM

View Postscalt, on 13 May, 2009 - 05:33 PM, said:

What is the purpose of the array? As far as I can see it MIGHT be to store the values of the text boxes every time you click 'calculate'??? If this is for an assignment could you please post the question?

Are you using Visual Studio or Visual C# Express to try your code, or are you just using a text editor? The reason I ask is that the code you provide is full of syntax errors and undefined variables and will not compile for me unless I clean it up a bit.

I am using Visual Studio 2005. And yes the point is to store the values from the textboxes when you click the calculate button. This 'program' is from one of my old text books. I am working on proficiency with C# and as you can see, I need to work on it! I understand single arrays, but not two-dimensional arrays. When I click the Exit button a messageBox pops up and displays the values that were entered into the textboxes. I can write it like this to store one entry only:
messageBox.Show("Inv/Mon" + "\t" + "Int/Rate" + "\t" + "Years" + "\t" + "Future Values" + "\n" + monthlyInvestment + "\t" + yearlyInterestRate + "\t" + years + "\t" + futureValue + "\n", "Future Values");

This will display the last values entered into the text boxes. But it will not display all of the values that were entered. So, do I need to add some code in the btnCalculate_click area that places the values into the array and only the messageBox in the btnExit_click?

View Postscalt, on 13 May, 2009 - 05:43 PM, said:

The counters are to add a row/column. They are starting at the max size? Could you please explain?

In your first post it seems as though the your row and column counters (numberOfRows and numberOfColumns) aren't actually doing anything other than control the while loop which isn't actually needed.

They start at the max value because that is what GetLength gives you. GetLength counts the maximum number of entries in the dimension you give it, so GetLength(0) will return 10, so numberOfRows will be set to 10.

If you compile and run your code from the first post (after modifying it so it does compile and run) you will see that when it gets to you while loop, numberOfRows is 10. As it goes through the for loops numberOfRows increases so when the for loops exit it is ~50. This means that the your program will not enter the while loop again and will keep going. Since your while loop only runs once it isn't really being used a loop at all and you will still get the same result if you don't use it (ie delete it but still keep the 'for' loops inside it).

Thanks!

View PostSixOfEleven, on 13 May, 2009 - 06:18 PM, said:

View Post[email protected], on 13 May, 2009 - 12:39 PM, said:

string values = "";
{
{
{
numberOfRows++;
numberOfColumns++;
}
}
}

Do I have to add:

There is an error in your code that will cause you problems.

{

In the for j loop you should use 1, not 0.

OOPS! Thanks.

I took out the while loop. Now when I click the Exit button, the message box pops up with one zero and everytime I click 'OK' it adds another zero until I have 41 zeros in a single row!! Obviously, I have no clue what I am doing! Is there a really good tutorial on two-dimensional arrays? The ones I can find, the elements are known when this type of array is created.
Thanks.

This post has been edited by [email protected]: 14 May 2009 - 01:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:01 PM

Ok that makes more sense. I have gone through and modified your code so it should do what you want. I don't have time to make all the text boxes and buttons to test it (off to work soon) but it should work (post back with the error if it doesn't and you can't fix it).

I modified code in the calculate bit to add the values to the array (check I added the right ones), then changed some of the code in the 'exit' bit for reporting.

I don't think you need 'numberOfColumns' the way I did it so I deleted that. I set numberOfRows to start at 0 and I change the dimensions of the array to [10,4].

Here's the code I modified:
        decimal[,] futureValueArray = new decimal[10, 4];
        int numberOfRows = 0;
        //deleted numberOfColumns

{
            try
            {
                if (IsValidData())
                {
                    int months = years * 12;
                    decimal futureValue = this.CalculateFutureValue(monthlyInvestment, monthlyInterstRate, months);

//if numberOfRows is too big then detect this so it doesn't throw an index-out-of-bounds exception
                    if (numberOfRows >= futureValueArray.GetLength(0))
                    {
                        MessageBox.Show("Array is full, values will not be added");
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        //add values to array
                        futureValueArray[numberOfRows, 0] = monthlyInvestment;
                        futureValueArray[numberOfRows, 1] = yearlyInterestRate;
                        futureValueArray[numberOfRows, 2] = Convert.ToDecimal(years);
                        futureValueArray[numberOfRows, 3] = futureValue;
                        //inc numberOfRows
                        numberOfRows++;
                    }
                }
            }
            catch (FormatException)
            {
                MessageBox.Show("Invalid numeric format. Please check all entries.", "Entry Error.");
            }
            {
                MessageBox.Show("Overflow error. Please enter smaller values.", "Entry Error.");
            }
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
            }

}

{
            string values = "";
            //for every row
            for (int i = 0; i < futureValueArray.GetLength(0); i++)
            {
                //for every column in this row
                for (int j = 0; j < futureValueArray.GetLength(1); j++)
                {
                    //add the value followed by a tab
                }
                //add a line break ready for the next row
                values += "\n";
            }
            MessageBox.Show("Inv/Mon" + "\t" + "Int" + "\t" + "Years" + "\t" + "Future Value" + "\n" + values, "Future Values");
            this.Close();
        }

note that I changed the upper bound in the for loops to GetLength(0 then 1)

Hope this helps

This post has been edited by scalt: 14 May 2009 - 02:01 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:30 PM

View Postscalt, on 14 May, 2009 - 01:01 PM, said:

Ok that makes more sense. I have gone through and modified your code so it should do what you want. I don't have time to make all the text boxes and buttons to test it (off to work soon) but it should work (post back with the error if it doesn't and you can't fix it).

I modified code in the calculate bit to add the values to the array (check I added the right ones), then changed some of the code in the 'exit' bit for reporting.

I don't think you need 'numberOfColumns' the way I did it so I deleted that. I set numberOfRows to start at 0 and I change the dimensions of the array to [10,4].

Here's the code I modified:
        decimal[,] futureValueArray = new decimal[10, 4];
        int numberOfRows = 0;
        //deleted numberOfColumns

{
            try
            {
                if (IsValidData())
                {
                    int months = years * 12;

//if numberOfRows is too big then detect this so it doesn't throw an index-out-of-bounds exception
                    if (numberOfRows >= futureValueArray.GetLength(0))
                    {
                        MessageBox.Show("Array is full, values will not be added");
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        //add values to array
                        futureValueArray[numberOfRows, 0] = monthlyInvestment;
                        futureValueArray[numberOfRows, 1] = yearlyInterestRate;
                        futureValueArray[numberOfRows, 2] = Convert.ToDecimal(years);
                        futureValueArray[numberOfRows, 3] = futureValue;
                        //inc numberOfRows
                        numberOfRows++;
                    }
                }
            }
            catch (FormatException)
            {
            }
            {
            }
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
            }

}

{
            string values = "";
            //for every row
            for (int i = 0; i < futureValueArray.GetLength(0); i++)
            {
                //for every column in this row
                for (int j = 0; j < futureValueArray.GetLength(1); j++)
                {
                    //add the value followed by a tab
                }
                //add a line break ready for the next row
                values += "\n";
            }
            MessageBox.Show("Inv/Mon" + "\t" + "Int" + "\t" + "Years" + "\t" + "Future Value" + "\n" + values, "Future Values");
            this.Close();
        }

note that I changed the upper bound in the for loops to GetLength(0 then 1)

Hope this helps

Yes, that worked perfectly! The messageBox shows the values entered into the textboxes. The only issue I have now, the futureValue has too many decimal places in the messageBox only. It has just 2 decimal places in the textbox.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• His name was Robert Paulson.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:55 PM

Holy tamale, I try to read this thread and I get a headache how do you guys keep track of someone elses code so easily? (Serious question)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

Ok to do that you can use '.ToString("F2")' when you are building the 'values' string

ie
//add the value followed by a tab (rounded to 2 DP)
values += futureValueArray[i,j].ToString("F2") + "\t";

If you want a different number of decimal places then simply change the '2' in 'F2' to however many decimal places you want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:12 PM

Holy tamale, I try to read this thread and I get a headache how do you guys keep track of someone elses code so easily? (Serious question)

Lol good question. I tend to ignore code in the 'QUOTE' boxes because it has already been posted earlier in the thread. Also, if people post little bits of code they usually fit into bigger bits of code that were posted earlier (like I did in post #8, those bits replace their earlier versions in post #3).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1