5 Replies - 1273 Views - Last Post: 15 May 2009 - 09:24 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

IDE or Dashboard for Perl?

Post icon  Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:59 AM

I am tipping my toe into Perl. I have been using notepad primarily for my perl files.
I just downloaded Notepad++ and like it better. I have been looking at articles on the conversation between IDE's.

Eclypse and NetBeans seem to be the top runners.
Seems to be down to preference and whatever you started with, initially.
Netbeans on easier usability, while Eclypse focusing on protocols.

Given the small background, here is the deal.
I am looking for an ideal IDE, working enviroment to utilize Perl, PHP, MySQL, SQL server 2005, Transaction SQL, ideally.

Having no prior experience in any IDE, I would like to know if such a working platform exist? Ideally an opensource application would be nice, but I am seriously looking for a all versatile IDE. Open or propriety options here.

I appreciate all feedback.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: IDE or Dashboard for Perl?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: IDE or Dashboard for Perl?

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:02 PM

View Postmcwolf, on 14 May, 2009 - 08:59 AM, said:

I am tipping my toe into Perl. I have been using notepad primarily for my perl files.
I just downloaded Notepad++ and like it better. I have been looking at articles on the conversation between IDE's.

I am looking for an ideal IDE, working enviroment to utilize Perl, PHP, MySQL, SQL server 2005, Transaction SQL, ideally.

Having no prior experience in any IDE, I would like to know if such a working platform exist? Ideally an opensource application would be nice, but I am seriously looking for a all versatile IDE. Open or propriety options here.

I have tried a number of different editors and IDE's for my coding and must say that I like using ActiveState's Komodo Edit the best. It has code intelligence for all of the languages it supports. It allows you to create projects and organize files. Its really slick and easy to use. It has a big brother, Komodo, which does a bit more, but Komodo Edit does what I need it to do.

Regards,

Jeff
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:15 PM

View Postnumberwhun, on 14 May, 2009 - 12:02 PM, said:

I have tried a number of different editors and IDE's for my coding and must say that I like using ActiveState's Komodo Edit the best. It has code intelligence for all of the languages it supports. It allows you to create projects and organize files. Its really slick and easy to use. It has a big brother, Komodo, which does a bit more, but Komodo Edit does what I need it to do.

Regards,

Jeff

Interesting. I was just looking at that same IDE! I just downloaded WAMP and changed my Komodo preference to that directory for PHP. Do you find it difficult to setup the preferences for Perl, ect?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:27 PM

View Postmcwolf, on 14 May, 2009 - 12:15 PM, said:

Regards,

Jeff

Interesting. I was just looking at that same IDE! I just downloaded WAMP and changed my Komodo preference to that directory for PHP. Do you find it difficult to setup the preferences for Perl, ect?

Not really. When you start a new project or start a new file, it gives you the option of where to save it. I take the default coloring so I am all set as far as that goes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:56 AM

View Postnumberwhun, on 14 May, 2009 - 12:27 PM, said:

View Postmcwolf, on 14 May, 2009 - 12:15 PM, said:

Regards,

Jeff

Not really. When you start a new project or start a new file, it gives you the option of where to save it. I take the default coloring so I am all set as far as that goes.

Most appreciative Jeff. I had to resave my existing scripts with Komodo. :rolleyes:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:24 AM

Komodo Edit, while a good editor, is not an IDE though. A free one for Windows is Perl Express:

http://www.perl-express.com/

Its not what I would call a top of the line IDE but for free its pretty good and it beats using an editor.

Personally I use PerlBuilder2 Pro IDE (not free) but thats more because I have been using it for years, not because its the best.

Komodo is probably the best, but its way more than I would ever need and it costs a pretty penny. I have never used any of the other IDE's I have heard mentioned on forums so I have no opinion about them.

Edit: as far as I know, Perl Express is just for perl, not PHP or other scripting languages. If you want multi script support I think Eclipse does that with the proper plugins.

This post has been edited by KevinADC: 15 May 2009 - 09:27 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1