how to do an effect in PS 5.5?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 1652 Views - Last Post: 14 August 2001 - 01:55 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Would someone mind telling me...

Posted 19 July 2001 - 12:17 PM

Hi, I'm a newbie when it comes to Photoshop. I have seen this cool effect several times and I can't seem to find a tutorial on it.

The effect I'm talking about is in these 2 images:

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

I really like how the symbols and other items blend in with the background.

I have seen tutorials similar to this, but nothing exactly like it that I could follow. I don't know where to start.

This site has it too; at the top header:

Posted Image

See how the text in the background blends in, but the main part, "</dream.in.code>" still stands out without any problems. That is how I want it, only w/ symbols and shapes, not text.

If you could refer me to a tutorial that shows me how to do this exact effect or could possibly tell me how to do it in detail (because I'm a newbie) I would be really grateful. Even if it is an advanced effect, I would still like to know how to do it because I could work my way up to the point where I can actually accomplish the effect later on.

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. If this effect is easier to do in Fireworks 4, I also have that program available to me. Thanks again

(Edited by Mike at 3:20 pm on July 21, 2001)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Would someone mind telling me...

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Would someone mind telling me...

Posted 19 July 2001 - 12:50 PM

Take a look here :) http://www.dreaminco...-bin....topic=1
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2001 - 01:19 PM

Hi, it's not scan lines that I need help with... I actually just learned that. I guess it is a coincidence that those three images had scanlines. The part that I want to learn is where the symbols are blended into the background. In one, do you see the upside down question mark blended in. And in the graphic from this site, there looks to be HTML code made in notepad blended in to the background. That is what I would like to learn how to do.

Sorry for any confusion :)

Have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2001 - 01:43 PM

You could set the text layer (in this case the ? mark) so the layer is "lighter" opacity??? Don't know the right word for it cause i have the swedish version but i hope you know what i mean by that! Maybe from 100% to 30% try it!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2001 - 01:55 PM

That doesn't seem to work the way it does in the other images. What it does when I set it to a lower opacity is it makes the ? mark a lighter shade of the background color of the image (i.e. the background color is orange, I make a white ? mark, In the ? mark's layer, I lower the opacity to 30% and the ? mark turns a light orange and not really a blended-in white color).

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Has anyone ever seen a tutorial on this kind of effect?

Thanks again all for your help

EDIT: Would anyone possibly know the name of this effect? If so, please tell me so I can maybe search for it on google.

(Edited by Mike at 11:11 am on July 19, 2001)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2001 - 02:09 PM

Sorry, twas my ignorance, I only looked at the pictures and didn't really read the post itself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2001 - 04:07 PM

here take a look at this imnage... is this what you are talking about???
Posted Image (here is the tutorial) also Notice the pill is transparent and the text is faded in.  I can create a tutorila on how to change text opacity, you might want to mess around with the opacity and the Blend mode of the layer.  You can change the blend mode next to where you change the opacity of the layer  Try soft light and also try running the gaussian blur filter on your text (Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur...)  I hope that this might help you.  Would you like me to create a tutorial on this subject???

(Edited by Ersammy1 at 5:12 pm on July 21, 2001)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2001 - 06:28 PM

Quote: from Ersammy1 on 1:07 pm on July 21, 2001
here take a look at this imnage... is this what you are talking about???
Posted Image (here is the tutorial) also Notice the pill is transparent and the text is faded in.  I can create a tutorila on how to change text opacity, you might want to mess around with the opacity and the Blend mode of the layer.  You can change the blend mode next to where you change the opacity of the layer  Try soft light and also try running the gaussian blur filter on your text (Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur...)  I hope that this might help you.  Would you like me to create a tutorial on this subject???

(Edited by Ersammy1 at 5:12 pm on July 21, 2001)

Not really what I was looking for...

I don't know if it is my computer or what... but two of the images look really screwed up and one was broken... I fixed the broken one, but I don't know if you see that the other two images that are screwed up or not on your computer. The one I just fixed the broken link to doesn't look screwed up though. If you know of a tutorial that tells me how to do that effect in the middle image (not the scanlines), that would be great.... seems like it wouldn't be that hard to make... but what do I know... I'm a newbie :D

Thanks in advance :)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2001 - 06:36 PM

Yes I can help you out the effect is called "scan lines" and here are some website that might help you out alot

http://www.phong.com/tutorials/scan/

http://teamphotoshop...ns_download.php

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2001 - 06:44 PM

Quote: from Mike on 3:19 pm on July 19, 2001
Hi, it's not scan lines that I need help with... I actually just learned that. I guess it is a coincidence that those three images had scanlines. The part that I want to learn is where the symbols are blended into the background. In one, do you see the upside down question mark blended in. And in the graphic from this site, there looks to be HTML code made in notepad blended in to the background. That is what I would like to learn how to do.

Sorry for any confusion :)

Have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

*read* the post before you post. . .

mike, i'm in the middle of something right now but give me about an hour and i'll write up something that will explain how to do it.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2001 - 08:03 PM

Maybe something like this???  I just made it real quick.  I could do a tutorial if you would like.  Let me know.
Posted Image

Sammy

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2001 - 08:05 PM

I will do the tutorial and post it here on Dream.In.Code
Actualy I only have PS 6. I believe that the method for doing it is the same.

Sammy

(Edited by Ersammy1 at 9:09 pm on July 21, 2001)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2001 - 08:16 PM

Quote: from Ersammy1 on 5:03 pm on July 21, 2001
Maybe something like this???  I just made it real quick.  I could do a tutorial if you would like.  Let me know.
Posted Image

Sammy

that looks cool... a tutorial would be great... and Sonic... if you still want to show me and have time... could you please write something up too... I need all the help I can get... hehe... thanks a lot everyone :)

P.S. hopefully this will work w/ PS 5.5.. cause I tried your (ersammy1's) previous suggestion just for fun and it didn't work properly 'cause there were some features that weren't in PS 5.5 that were being used in that image.

(Edited by Mike at 5:23 pm on July 21, 2001)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2001 - 09:05 PM

ok I made the tutorial it should work with 5.5, notice the last step I added a note for PS 5.5, but all else should be the same.

Click here for the Tutorial

Sammy

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2001 - 09:07 AM

there is nothing on the page... I guess the database hasn't been updated yet to include your tutorial or something... because when I went to the Photoshop 6 forum manually, there were only 9 topics, the last one being your Liquid-filled pill tutorial, and in your link it is topic=10... so I guess it wasn't posted yet ???

I guess I'll try back later... I'm eager to try the tutorial out.. thanks for your help

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +