Making games in Opengl/C++ Questions

A few questions from a noob

Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 7897 Views - Last Post: 17 May 2009 - 03:35 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Making games in Opengl/C++ Questions

Post icon  Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

I'm very new to programming and absolutely love it. I started with Java and I'm now 3 semesters deep in college
with courses on java. I wanted to start to make games and found out the best approach to go with game dev is to
use C++/OpenGl. I have a few questions that might seem stupid but can't seem to get any answers.

-In good detail,since im new to this what is Opengl?

-What software,programs do I need to use,compile,run or whatever its called on Opengl?

-Can I make a game with both C++ and Opengl?

-Is there any good books or websites that would help me and my super noobie status?

Thanks so much for the help in advance.

This post has been edited by BlackMagick: 16 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Making games in Opengl/C++ Questions

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Making games in Opengl/C++ Questions

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

Here is a link to an online version of the red book, which is pretty much the definitive guide when it comes to OpenGL. You can also purchase a copy of this book online and in most stores. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:27 AM

That link helped a lot but still has me scathing my head. Where do I write this Opengl code, and do I need a certian program to view my work?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:01 AM

It sounds like you need to learn programming first before you make stuff with OpenGL. If you were ready to make a game at this low level, you wouldn't be asking where to write the code.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 17 May 2009 - 10:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:42 AM

I only have programmed in Java and I'm looking to expand to other languages. I know that opengl can be written in many languages like C or C++. my question is, is Opengl to C++ like Gui's are to Java?

I'm sorry for the dumb questions. I'm only super lost cuz a DUMB friend of mine told me to write my code in Textpad which i used for java and it wasn't working and i just got really lost, But I got Visual C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:57 AM

You can use OpenGL in Java (http://lwjgl.org/, https://jogl.dev.java.net/ ).

Focus on either learning C++ or learning OpenGL. Trying to do both at the same time will just be a mess. :)

This post has been edited by Tom9729: 17 May 2009 - 12:01 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:06 PM

View PostBlackMagick, on 16 May, 2009 - 02:51 PM, said:

I'm very new to programming and absolutely love it. I started with Java and I'm now 3 semesters deep in college
with courses on java. I wanted to start to make games and found out the best approach to go with game dev is to
use C++/OpenGl. I have a few questions that might seem stupid but can't seem to get any answers.

-What software,programs do I need to use,compile,run or whatever its called on Opengl?

-Is there any good books or websites that would help me and my super noobie status?

View PostBlackMagick, on 16 May, 2009 - 02:51 PM, said:

From web_chowder to BlackMagick:

Hi,

The only advice that I can give is go to Visual C++, add the source code, click F7, CNTL + F5, and see how your code runs. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:17 PM

I think wolfcoder is right, you need to learn the basics before moving onto this. If you don't know where to write code then you are almost definitely not ready to start learning OpenGL.

Everyone has different levels of ability but you have to start with the basics.

My suggestion to you would be to try something like a text-based adventure in C++ just to get to grips with the language, tutorials for that should be easy to find if you get googleing. :)

Then try some 2D games using SDL, once you have got to grips with SDL it also has OpenGL support.

This is gonna take a while but having your basics down is definitely one of the most important things.

Good Luck :D
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:35 PM

I'm def gin to start off just learning C++ then learn some OpenGL. I was just doing a little research before I started with everything and couldn't find somethings out. I have books on the way that would of probably answer some of these questions but I just wanted to know. Thanks to everyone for helping me and putting up with my retarded questions, I appreciate it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1