Who likes my new game ideas?

This is just about that I am making a new game and would like to know

Page 1 of 1

13 Replies - 1260 Views - Last Post: 02 June 2009 - 01:59 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Who likes my new game ideas?

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:19 AM

Okay this is my first prompt for I have just joined today... my username is progr/oder (meaning programer / moder) and because of my like for star wars I have made up my mind... I am going to make a treequal to star wars knights of the old republic II the sith lord (also known as kotor II TSL or just TSL) it's going to be 10 years after TSL and 490 years before Bioware's Star Wars Knight of the Old Republic Jedi Masters, it's going to be a mmorpg so I want to make one that has a story that is still in the story of Darth Revan and the Exile in the uknown regions where you can play as a new Jedi that was the Exiles best friend before he went to join the Mandalorian war ware you'll be looking for the Exile and Revan, the Exile where you are looking for Revan and to help him in this war that will resolve the galaxys problems forever or play as Revan fight on the front lines and head stright into the Greate Maw, ware you, the Exile, his best friend and the REAL SITH in a alternative universe, in another time... our universe and our time 2967 AD, while you, your commrades and the Sith fight to resolve all things the rest of the entire unverse will rise up agenseted you the sith will either join you, or destroy you. The leader of the Sith is Ajunta Paull and is far more powerfull then Revan and the Exile put together whatever happens thier will not affect the Star Wars universe but it will affect ours...when you go through The Great Maw you will beable to choose from The Army of Revan... or The Army of the Joined Unverse... I haven't thought of proper names for them yet. And you are free to make any suggestions to this post and aks for new things to be added.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Who likes my new game ideas?

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Who likes my new game ideas?

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:15 AM

Hi there

Welcome to D.I.C

My first suggestion to you is to use some white space, reading a huge lump of text is a real chore. Try to space it out more :)

Second of all Star Wars is a copyrighted IP so making games of it wouldn't be a good idea unless you are just a hobbyist.
Also you don't have any information about gameplay at all which is (of course) the most important part of a game.

This sounds very ambitious, what's your experience in game development? do you know any languages?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:48 AM

Why not just make a module for Neverwinter Nights? You're less likely to get a cease & desist letter that way, and the actual engine that Kotor I/II used is very similar to the one that NWN uses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

View Poststayscrisp, on 19 May, 2009 - 01:15 AM, said:

Hi there

Welcome to D.I.C

My first suggestion to you is to use some white space, reading a huge lump of text is a real chore. Try to space it out more :)

Second of all Star Wars is a copyrighted IP so making games of it wouldn't be a good idea unless you are just a hobbyist.
Also you don't have any information about gameplay at all which is (of course) the most important part of a game.

This sounds very ambitious, what's your experience in game development? do you know any languages?

Well thank you but I use Dev C++ so I get free scource code for what I want and I am protected to modify the scource code sell the game and it not be illegal.

The only thing that is required of me to make it legal is to make sure that the person(s) that I give it to must gain access to these rights as well. And the reason I have not put any information in about the gameplay is because I just started this project and I am trying to find the most convenient for me untill I have a more rough Idea of the way the story works out yet... plus keep the complexity down a notch, just untill I have a much more solid view of this project.

And thank you for your suggestion on spacing out :)

View PostTom9729, on 19 May, 2009 - 02:48 AM, said:

Why not just make a module for Neverwinter Nights? You're less likely to get a cease & desist letter that way, and the actual engine that Kotor I/II used is very similar to the one that NWN uses.

I have done that many times but know I am looking for a new challenge and frankly I want to try something new.

But thank you for your suggestion :)

This post has been edited by progr/oder: 20 May 2009 - 11:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:50 AM

View Postprogr/oder, on 21 May, 2009 - 01:05 AM, said:

Well thank you but I use Dev C++ so I get free scource code for what I want and I am protected to modify the scource code sell the game and it not be illegal.

You'll probably have to elaborate on this statement. Free source code from whom? It sounds to me like you're talking about borrowing Open Source code, and if that's the case then you're right it's perfectly legal as long as you follow the license conditions. However that still doesn't mean you can violate copyright laws. If you want to use anything from the StarWars universe you will need to get permission from Lucas Arts (otherwise they could sue you).

Legalese aside, the game sounds interesting. Good luck with it. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

View PostTom9729, on 21 May, 2009 - 02:50 AM, said:

View Postprogr/oder, on 21 May, 2009 - 01:05 AM, said:

You'll probably have to elaborate on this statement. Free source code from whom? It sounds to me like you're talking about borrowing Open Source code, and if that's the case then you're right it's perfectly legal as long as you follow the license conditions. However that still doesn't mean you can violate copyright laws. If you want to use anything from the StarWars universe you will need to get permission from Lucas Arts (otherwise they could sue you).

Legalese aside, the game sounds interesting. Good luck with it. :)

Thank you Tom9729... and because of that I have made up my mind and I am going to do the game but not modify the kotor game... I will create my own scource code, meshes, textures and style... and with a little help from my friends I hope this project will be done before to long.

Note; the first version will only be a top down view game but that is only so people can see kinda of what it's going look like... over the time I will keep updating it and adding more and more detail, style and realisim to the game.

And on that note I have also decided to make it a open game and free of all normal game restriction... I will let them (meaning anyone whom has the game) modify it and so on... but if you want to sell it you of cause must get permisson from Lucas... I may not care if you sell what I worked over and in fact i encourage it but Lucas may not.

One more thing I have also decided that once I have finished this project I will never really leave it... meaning that I will forever on be adding new stories, weapons, game play and everything else... after all I may not of said this in my first prompt but my origonal intetion for this game game was to be free and feel like a online game that never ends.

I will constantly be making sure that thier is always somthing to do and that all (meaning most) will not get bord once they have completed somthing because thier will always be somthing for the people to discover.

Once again any suggestion are helpfull and I will try to fit them in to the origional plot :)

And I will try my hardest to get permission... I know that Gorge Lucas enjoys Star Wars and that he (I hope) will give me permission... after all he really will loos nothing... for this is a no payment project.

This post has been edited by progr/oder: 25 May 2009 - 11:06 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:25 AM

View Postprogr/oder, on 25 May, 2009 - 09:54 PM, said:

And I will try my hardest to get permission... I know that Gorge Lucas enjoys Star Wars and that he (I hope) will give me permission... after all he really will loos nothing... for this is a no payment project.

I think that will be a problem, letting you use an IP without any return is unlikely. I think you are asking a bit much here.

You may just be able to call your game a fan game and leave it at that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:41 AM

LucasArts makes a lot of money off the Star Wars franchise. If you make a game using anything from Star Wars they will probably shut you down. It has nothing to do with whether or not the game is free.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:33 AM

I said feel like an online game not accully a real online game.

So it all ready is a fan game.

View PostTom9729, on 26 May, 2009 - 02:41 AM, said:

LucasArts makes a lot of money off the Star Wars franchise. If you make a game using anything from Star Wars they will probably shut you down. It has nothing to do with whether or not the game is free.

Gorge Lucas is a reasonable person and I think it's possible to do this

This post has been edited by progr/oder: 28 May 2009 - 12:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:40 AM

Yeah that's a good thought, I love NWN although I ve never given much thought to creating a game before since the last time I did that was creating a Tic Tac Toe and that took so many lines of coding on Javascript. Is there a specific language for gaming, I am only familiar with Html, Javascript, C# and a bit of SQL.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:33 AM

View Postprogr/oder, on 27 May, 2009 - 11:33 PM, said:

George Lucas is a reasonable person and I think it's possible to do this

I'm starting to doubt your really being serious here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:40 AM

View PostIllidanisdead, on 28 May, 2009 - 04:40 AM, said:

Yeah that's a good thought, I love NWN although I ve never given much thought to creating a game before since the last time I did that was creating a Tic Tac Toe and that took so many lines of coding on Javascript. Is there a specific language for gaming, I am only familiar with Html, Javascript, C# and a bit of SQL.

No there is no specific language for gaming, but there are libraries/engines you can use that make it easier.

C++: Irrlicht
Java: Slick2D
C#: XNA

... to name a few.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:49 PM

Your a comedian as well.

Review this so you know what IP is :

http://www.wipo.int/about-ip/en/

Then Follow this link for information about just how many ways you can be sued.

http://www.wipo.int/about-ip/en/

Keep in mind that the term publish is pretty liberally and simply copying your program. Give it to your freind and you've just published a work, and distributed it.

There are 2 things that could save you, deep pockets, or your general inability to produce anything that mentions or resembles anything like "Sith", "StarWars", "lightSabre", "theForce", "The Dark Side", ..... ..... .....

So put down your joint...

If you think people can just call up Lucast Arts and get a real conversation with anyone important ... Put it down... that would possibly be inclined to say, sure kid we give you permission to ... Down ... make a game and use our IP, and destroy the image and reputation of our own studio with your own lax standards, then - YES PUT IT DOWN, YOUR HIGH AS A KITE!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:59 AM

View PostTom9729, on 28 May, 2009 - 02:40 AM, said:

View PostIllidanisdead, on 28 May, 2009 - 04:40 AM, said:

No there is no specific language for gaming, but there are libraries/engines you can use that make it easier.

C++: Irrlicht
Java: Slick2D
C#: XNA

... to name a few.

Thanks I ll try those last two libraries/ engines for Java and C# since I am not familiar with C++ ^_^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1