5 Replies - 963 Views - Last Post: 08 June 2009 - 09:16 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

The Wiki Business Model

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:37 AM

Okay so a lot of people aren't going to agree with my business model. If you don't agree with me then you can go to...nevermind.

I see a negative horizontal trend amongst businesses and business processes. Business processes today generally lack the empowerment that individuals need to accomplish what they need and when they need it most.

Take this for example. Joe works in Processing. His company uses a Product Lifecycle Management system to store product data and designs. One day Joe logs into his system and picks a job from his group's queue. Something goes wrong and Joe can't gain access to the parts he needs to begin the processing stage. Joe know's exactly what went wrong because he is a genius (actually he ran into the same problem a day earlier and watched the CAE guy fix it). Even though the solution to his problem is extremely easy to implement, Joe doesn't have the permissions to fix his issue so he has to contact support personnel. So Joe contacts his support personnel by submitting a support request. He is now dead in the water until someone can come fix his issue. The support personnel uses a FIFO ticketing system to track all support requests. Luckily for Joe he is only number 19 in the support queue so someone should be able to fix his issue today, I hope.

So where is the business value here? If Joe was empowered to make the changes he needed then who would be affected by this issue? Well let's see, Joe for one, his group because his job is stuck in the queue and his group metrics are now inaccurate, anyone further downstream, and good ole number 1 "The Customer".

So here is what I would like to see. I want to take every aspect of Wiki and create a business model based on it's rules. Nobody know what you do better than you do. So you should have the empowerment to accomplish what is needed to GET THE JOB DONE.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The Wiki Business Model

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The Wiki Business Model

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

The problem with empowering the user is that the user can the abuse that power.

Nobody know what you do better than you do
-- yes but if you are out sick for a month someone may have to pick up your slack. How do you train operators if every operator does things a different way.

One thing I HATE about McDonald's (one of the most standardized businesses of all time) is when the operator behind the cash register does not know how to enter my favorite order. I get it one day, and the next am told: "sorry we can't do that" -- which is BS -- it is just that the operator does not know how to do it.

Have you ever worked support? Can you imagine having to support an organization where each user has a customized setup and customized procedures?

That being said -- we have been making lots of "Dashboards" to allow users to customize their experience -- so obviously business is already beginning to adopt your model.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

Yeah, from my experience, the number of people who really know what they are doing is far outweighed by the number of people who just act like they know what they are doing.

This is very general of course, I'm sure places like Google who have too much money, or startups who can afford to be very selective manage to employ more "geniuses" than not. But overall, geniuses are the minority.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• May Your Swords Stay Sharp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:26 AM

Even though the solution to his problem is extremely easy to implement, Joe doesn't have the permissions to fix his issue so he has to contact support personnel.

What if he thinks he knows what he is doing but doesn't and breaks it even more. It is more often then not that people think they know what is wrong and "fix it" by making it worse. Which is why you have to have support, if you give one person permission because they seem to know how to fix issues, what if they find one they don't and screw up the system for days. Better to wait for the proper support then to compromise the system to risks that can break i more.

Of course this only works if support actually knows what they are doing, which is more often then not, not the case.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:47 AM

I'd be more interested in someone who has the capacity to be able to solve problems if given the chance rather then someone who can't or can only do "one thing at a time".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:16 PM

The problem is that this model doesn't scale. If you have a shop of 20 people doing the right thing, then you're probably alright--as long as they really do know what they're doing, and get along, and so on.

It's proably not going to work at 200 people, even if you keep your hiring bar really high.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1