6 Replies - 9918 Views - Last Post: 26 May 2009 - 06:53 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Making Reports with C#/MySQL

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:57 AM

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on an application in C# which requires me to create reports based on a MySQL database. I have been searching for quite some time, and the only way it seems possible is with crystal reports, which I have never used before. The application is quite complex and this is just the reporting aspect of it, I had anticipated that MySQL would have easily done this by using aggregate functions like Group By. Unfortunately it does not, and I am at a road block in my program. These are the kind of reports I would like to create:

Posted Image

This report was done in access.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make a report using C# and MySQL?
Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Matt

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Making Reports with C#/MySQL

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Making Reports with C#/MySQL

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:04 PM

View Postmjfara, on 24 May, 2009 - 06:57 AM, said:

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on an application in C# which requires me to create reports based on a MySQL database. I have been searching for quite some time, and the only way it seems possible is with crystal reports, which I have never used before. The application is quite complex and this is just the reporting aspect of it, I had anticipated that MySQL would have easily done this by using aggregate functions like Group By. Unfortunately it does not, and I am at a road block in my program. These are the kind of reports I would like to create:

Posted Image

This report was done in access.

Matt

You can generate this kind of report in Crystal Report which is included in VS 2005.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:44 PM

View PostnewProgram, on 24 May, 2009 - 06:04 PM, said:

Matt

Here is the nice place to start with Crystal Report:

http://csharp.net-in...-stepbystep.htm

~'J'~
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:19 AM

Hey thanks for the reply guys.

I have looked at that site for quite some time and it seems like I finally got them to work with basic reports. What I need is to create a report like the one shown above. I can not seem to understand how I can make the same kind of report, because each subreport is dependent on the main reports customer. So lets say I have these two tables for simplicity purposes:

CUSTOMER
CustID
CompanyName

and

ORDERS
OrderID
CustID
Price
Quantity

Lets say I want the customers name and every order under them, how would i query this in a dataset? Would i select all from both tables? Is crystal reports able to report on condition? Like having a subreport where CustID is = to the the CustID of the main reports Customer? Or will I have to create a dataset for each customer with a query like ( SELECT * FROM ORDERS WHERE CustID = 1...2....3...etc...)

Also, how do I get it to display the company name only once, and then the subreport under it, like in the above screenshot. I can't seem to figure this out either. Development has been going smooth up until now.

I just can't seem to understand these crystal reports, any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

View Postmjfara, on 25 May, 2009 - 07:19 AM, said:

Hey thanks for the reply guys.

I have looked at that site for quite some time and it seems like I finally got them to work with basic reports. What I need is to create a report like the one shown above. I can not seem to understand how I can make the same kind of report, because each subreport is dependent on the main reports customer. So lets say I have these two tables for simplicity purposes:

CUSTOMER
CustID
CompanyName

and

ORDERS
OrderID
CustID
Price
Quantity

Lets say I want the customers name and every order under them, how would i query this in a dataset? Would i select all from both tables? Is crystal reports able to report on condition? Like having a subreport where CustID is = to the the CustID of the main reports Customer? Or will I have to create a dataset for each customer with a query like ( SELECT * FROM ORDERS WHERE CustID = 1...2....3...etc...)

Also, how do I get it to display the company name only once, and then the subreport under it, like in the above screenshot. I can't seem to figure this out either. Development has been going smooth up until now.

I just can't seem to understand these crystal reports, any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

In Crystal Report there is a Group Name Field function which you can use to display the company name only once. right click on Group Name Field >> select Insert Group >> choose the field that you will group by on the combo box.
Was This Post Helpful? 1

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:47 PM

Hey thanks alot!
That really helped, I finally got it going how I wanted it, on with the project!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:53 PM

View Postmjfara, on 25 May, 2009 - 09:47 PM, said:

Hey thanks alot!
That really helped, I finally got it going how I wanted it, on with the project!

Your welcome. :-)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1