Opinions of Christianity and "Religion vs. Relationship"

  • (16 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »

227 Replies - 11868 Views - Last Post: 22 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

#1 Gorian  Icon User is offline

  • ninja DIC
  • member icon

Reputation: 120
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,681
  • Joined: 28-June 08

Opinions of Christianity and "Religion vs. Relationship"

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:32 AM

Okay, looking for a good debate, not a flaming argument.

I am wondering what people think of Christianity, backed with a good case, which means "I don't like Christians because my dad claimed to be one, but beat me every day and cheated on my mom"

Not "i dnt like em cuz thye dress fny!"

I see a lot of confusion about Christianity and Stereotyping, and know that programmers tend to be an intelligent lot and capable of intelligent conversation.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Opinions of Christianity and "Religion vs. Relationship"

#2 searockruz  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 24
  • View blog
  • Posts: 460
  • Joined: 07-March 09

Re: Opinions of Christianity and "Religion vs. Relationship"

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:45 AM

i am sorry to hear that but
How can you judge Christianity from one person ?

This post has been edited by searockruz: 25 May 2009 - 01:53 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Gorian  Icon User is offline

  • ninja DIC
  • member icon

Reputation: 120
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,681
  • Joined: 28-June 08

Re: Opinions of Christianity and "Religion vs. Relationship"

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:53 AM

lol. Thank you searockruz. Kinda my point. I see a lot of stereotyping by the actions of one person, and that is how people judge their "religion" by. Quite sad, but important to note at the same time, that we must at all times act as if we were the sole representative of our God.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 searockruz  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 24
  • View blog
  • Posts: 460
  • Joined: 07-March 09

Re: Opinions of Christianity and "Religion vs. Relationship"

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:09 AM

i think you dont belive in word religions
its like people from different traditions worshiping their GOD[Creator of Universe] in their own way
there are evil people in every religion,good people in every religion
so there no point of like or dislike
its just like you call your mom by the word MOM and your brother or sister calling by the word Mother
so are you going to hate them

This post has been edited by searockruz: 25 May 2009 - 02:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 333OnlyHalfEvil  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict

Reputation: 24
  • View blog
  • Posts: 664
  • Joined: 20-March 09

Re: Opinions of Christianity and "Religion vs. Relationship"

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:57 AM

I went to a private christian school my whole life and, currently, am not a christian. The main reason being that everyone i knew who claimed to be a christian never acted like it. I mean students, friends, teachers, etc. Everyone I've come across seems to want the middle ground. They want to say they're a christian because they don't want to burn but they also want to do (and do) whatever they want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 searockruz  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 24
  • View blog
  • Posts: 460
  • Joined: 07-March 09

Re: Opinions of Christianity and "Religion vs. Relationship"

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:27 AM

View Post333OnlyHalfEvil, on 25 May, 2009 - 01:57 AM, said:

I went to a private christian school my whole life and, currently, am not a christian. The main reason being that everyone i knew who claimed to be a christian never acted like it. I mean students, friends, teachers, etc. Everyone I've come across seems to want the middle ground. They want to say they're a christian because they don't want to burn but they also want to do (and do) whatever they want.


theres no religion on earth 100% pure and holy
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 WolfCoder  Icon User is offline

  • Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon


Reputation: 790
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7,623
  • Joined: 05-May 05

Re: Opinions of Christianity and "Religion vs. Relationship"

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:34 AM

Christianity could be used to easily control people.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 searockruz  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 24
  • View blog
  • Posts: 460
  • Joined: 07-March 09

Re: Opinions of Christianity and "Religion vs. Relationship"

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:41 AM

View PostWolfCoder, on 25 May, 2009 - 09:34 AM, said:

Christianity could be used to easily control people.



can you support yourself by an example
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 WolfCoder  Icon User is offline

  • Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon


Reputation: 790
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7,623
  • Joined: 05-May 05

Re: Opinions of Christianity and "Religion vs. Relationship"

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:13 PM

Creationism.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 baavgai  Icon User is offline

  • Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

Reputation: 5929
  • View blog
  • Posts: 12,851
  • Joined: 16-October 07

Re: Opinions of Christianity and "Religion vs. Relationship"

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:10 PM

View Postsearockruz, on 25 May, 2009 - 11:41 AM, said:

View PostWolfCoder, on 25 May, 2009 - 09:34 AM, said:

Christianity could be used to easily control people.

can you support yourself by an example


Jim Jones. The examples are legion. Nearly every cult whacko in the US has claimed to be some form of Christian. However, major church institutions have also made questionable requests of their followers at various times.

When I think of Christianity, I think of the history of it. A whole lot of ugly has been done in the name of God. I have to remind myself that such acts are done by people. At the end of the day, all the evil done in the name of Jesus is really done in the name of politics. In non Christian societies, evil is done in the name of their religion just as readily.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 Zerobu  Icon User is offline

  • Black Hatter

Reputation: 13
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,822
  • Joined: 14-January 08

Re: Opinions of Christianity and "Religion vs. Relationship"

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

Look At the WestBorrow Baptist Church.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 WolfCoder  Icon User is offline

  • Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon


Reputation: 790
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7,623
  • Joined: 05-May 05

Re: Opinions of Christianity and "Religion vs. Relationship"

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:35 PM

View PostZerobu, on 25 May, 2009 - 04:57 PM, said:

Look At the WestBorrow Baptist Church.


Oh yeah! How did I forget that perfect example. It's got selective born-in traits, corruption, and propaganda all rolled into one. But then, they are a little on the extreme side. However, examples of Christian control were requested~

I've already said there's plenty of free willed Christian scientists of about 99.96% of which know evolution who understand having a religion doesn't mean being retarded. I think it was 70% of scientists are christian in the US. I know most of them are, but the exact numbers are a little fuzzy and I'll have to go look it up. You can't just Google it because you need a honest source.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 mostyfriedman  Icon User is offline

  • The Algorithmi
  • member icon

Reputation: 727
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,473
  • Joined: 24-October 08

Re: Opinions of Christianity and "Religion vs. Relationship"

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

the moral aspects of christianity, i have no problems with..i have a problem with the concept of salvation though in christianity, that if you believe that Jesus was put on the cross for your sins, then you're off the hook..i find it illogical that someone gets punished for someone else's sins..i mean have you ever been to a country where if you commit murder, they would execute another person as a substitute??, i dont think so...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 computerfox  Icon User is offline

  • straight vegetarian kid

Reputation: 50
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,772
  • Joined: 29-January 09

Re: Opinions of Christianity and "Religion vs. Relationship"

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:06 PM

you can't judge a whole group because of one part of that group. Christianity is a lot larger than you think. plus how much do you exactly know about christianity? or do you just listen to Bill Maher's opinion that Christianity is like terrorism? many athiest don't believe in God because they don't understand what it's all about, but the real athiesm deals with lots of study and coming to a conclusion that there is no god. what i'm trying to say is believe whatever you want, but don't judge others because they don't believe what you do.

i do see your point fried, but do you know that sometimes when someone is on death row another person can die in his place. course nobody probably will because it's human nature to protect ourselves. that's the definition of love. when you love someone you think about their needs as opposed to your own. let's say your child is in the middle of a fight, wouldn't you want to take that punch for him/her. it's the same thing because Christianity teaches us that God is our father, but we have to have the respect towards him as if HE is our king-humility.

This post has been edited by computerfox: 25 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 mostyfriedman  Icon User is offline

  • The Algorithmi
  • member icon

Reputation: 727
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,473
  • Joined: 24-October 08

Re: Opinions of Christianity and "Religion vs. Relationship"

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:16 PM

View Postcomputerfox, on 25 May, 2009 - 05:06 PM, said:

you can't judge a whole group because of one part of that group. Christianity is a lot larger than you think. plus how much do you exactly know about christianity? or do you just listen to Bill Maher's opinion that Christianity is like terrorism? many athiest don't believe in God because they don't understand what it's all about, but the real athiesm deals with lots of study and coming to a conclusion that there is no god. what i'm trying to say is believe whatever you want, but don't judge others because they don't believe what you do.

i do see your point fried, but do you know that sometimes when someone is on death row another person can die in his place. course nobody probably will because it's human nature to protect ourselves. that's the definition of love. when you love someone you think about their needs as opposed to your own. let's say your child is in the middle of a fight, wouldn't you want to take that punch for him/her. it's the same thing because Christianity teaches us that God is our father, but we have to have the respect towards him as if HE is our king-humility.


but not when someone does something WRONG. for example hitler was a christian and he exterminated 6 million jews..lets say he believed in jesus and he had the crucifix hanging from his neck..according to christianity he's off the hook now..do you think that's fair??
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (16 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »