Page 1 of 1

USING POINTERS IN A FUNCTION TO REVERSE AN ARRAY IN C++ USING POINTERS IN A FUNCTION TO REVERSE AN ARRAY IN C++ Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:18 AM

USING POINTERS IN A FUNCTION TO REVERSE AN ARRAY IN C++

WHAT YOU WILL LEARN IN THIS TUTORIAL

1. You will learn how to download a free C++ compiler.

2. You will learn how to install the Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition and start a new project.

3. You will learn how to build, debug and compile a C++ program.

4. You will learn how to declare and use pointers.

5. You will learn how to use pointers in a function to reverse an array.

• I. ASSUMPTIONS
Hello; nice to meet you. I assume you know nothing. I do not know what your life experiences are or what you have already learned and done on your computer. Therefore, read the following steps and ignore any that you have either already done or do not want to do.

First I will talk you through how download a free C++ compiler.

Google Microsoft's FREE Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition download page or click the following link: http://www.microsoft...press/download/

Click download in the yellow Visual C++ box. Click Run. Click Next. Read and accept the license terms, then click Next. Complete the optional installation options, and then click Next. Click Next to accept default location to download Google Microsoft's FREE Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition.

Open Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition.

After Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition opens, we have to start a new project for this tutorial.

Click File, then click New, then click Project. When the next window appears, click Win32, and then click Win32 Console Application. Replace <Enter_name> with first, press OK. When the next window appears, in the top left corner click Application Settings => click Console application => click Empty project => click Finish. This creates a new project named first.

Now you need to add a .cpp file and a header file to your first project.

On the left center of your screen you will see a yellow folder marked Header. Right click the Header folder => click Add => click New Item. Under Categories click Code. Under Templates click Header File. Replace <Enter_name> with first.Click Add.

On the left center of your screen you will see a yellow folder marked Source Files. Right click the Source Files folder => click Add => click New Item. Under Categories click Code. Under Templates click C++ File (cpp). Replace <Enter_name> with first. Click Add.

Open the .cpp file; this is where you type your program. To speed things up I have written the program for you. Cut and past the program below into your .cpp file.

//************************************
//
//Using Pointers to Reverse an Array 
//
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int reverseArray(float AnyArray[], int max);
int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
	float AnyArray[] = {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, 10.0};
	int max = (AnyArray, (sizeof AnyArray)/(sizeof AnyArray[0]));
	cout << "The length of AnyArray is " << max
		 << " elements." << endl << endl;
	cout << "The initial contents of the elements of AnyArray are as follows:"
		 << endl << endl << endl;
	for(int nIndex = 0; nIndex < max; ++nIndex)
		cout << "AnyArray[" << nIndex << "]" << " = " << AnyArray[nIndex] << endl;
		cout << endl << endl << endl;
	reverseArray(AnyArray, max);
	cout << "The reversed contents of the elements of AnyArray are as follows:"
		 << endl << endl << endl;
	for(int nIndex = 0; nIndex < max; ++nIndex)
		cout << "AnyArray[" << nIndex << "]" << " = " << AnyArray[nIndex] << endl;
	cout << endl << endl << endl;
	system("PAUSE");
	return 0;
}
//The reverseArray function reverses the elements of an array.
int reverseArray(float AnyArray[], int max)
{
	float* pPort = &AnyArray[0];			//declare pointer, assign address to pointer
	float* pStarboard = &AnyArray[max-1];	//declare pointer, assign address to pointer

while(pPort < pStarboard)			//establish loop condition
	{
		float exchange = *pPort;	
		*pPort++ = *pStarboard;
		*pStarboard-- = exchange;
	}
	return max;
}

After you have done the cut and past, click Build; and then click Build Solution. When the build is completed click Debug; and then click Start Debugging. If everything went smoothly you will see the output showing the original sample file we are working with, and the reverse of the file.

The program you cut and pasted is what we will be talking about during this tutorial.

• II. INTRODUCTION
What is a pointer? A pointer is a variable that holds a memory address. That’s it! If you understand this sentence you know the core of what there is to know about pointers.

• III. POINTERS AND ARRAY NAMES
In C++ an array name is a constant pointer to the first element of an array.
The array we are going to reverse in this tutorial is named AnyArray.
Therefore, AnyArray == *AnyArray == AnyArray[0]

• IV. HOW TO DECLARE AND USE POINTERS
Many programmers follow the convention of naming all pointers with the prefix p.
All pointers when they are declared should be initialized to something. If you do not know what to initialize them to, initialize them to zero.
For example, the following statement declares pPort to be a pointer pointing to a float. The type tells the compiler how much memory is needed for the object at the address. The address of operator (&) is used to initialize pPort to &AnyArray[0]; which is the address of the first element of AnyArray.

float* pPort = &AnyArray[0];

Every variable has an address. The & address of operator is used to get the address of the variable.
The indirection operator (*), also called the dereference operator, retrieves the value at the address stored by the pointer.

The indirection operator (*), also called the dereference operator, retrieves the value at the address stored by the pointer.

• V. THE sizeof OPERATOR
The sizeof operator is used in the program to divide the number of bytes of the whole pointer array, the numerator by the number of bytes occupied by the first element of the array, the denominator. Because each element of the array occupies the same amount of memory, the result, the quotient, is the number of elements in the array. The quotient is passed to the function using the int variable named max.

• VI. THE FUNCTION int reverseArray(float AnyArray[], int max);
Now we ready for the fun part, the function!
The function is of type int, which means it passes an int type variable back to the main function.
The name of the function is reverseArray, sorry that is as creative as I could get, deal with it.
The function takes two arguments. The first argument is an array of type float named AnyArray[], see radiating creativity here! The second argument is a variable named max of type int.
To understand the function it is a good idea to look back and see how the main function provides the arguments for the function.
int max = (AnyArray, (sizeof AnyArray)/(sizeof AnyArray[0]));
Notice the use of the word AnyArray, as mentioned earlier this is the same as typing AnyArray[0] or *pAnyArray. AnyArray[0] is used as the last denominator to help the compiler keep things straight.
The sizeof operator is used to get max.
The pointers *pPort and *pStarboard point to the leftmost (Port) and rightmost (Starboard) elements that have not been exchanged. Each iteration of the loop exchanges those two elements and increments the *Port element (moves it to the right) and decrements the *Starboard element (moves to the left). The loop terminates when *pPort (the left pointer) is no longer to the left of *pStarboard the right pointer.
The console screen print out shows the array in its original form {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10} and then after it has been reversed by the function pointers {10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1}.

• VII. CONTACT ME
This is my first tutorial. Please send me comments so I can do better next time!

WHAT YOU HAVE LEARNED IN THIS TUTORIAL

1. You have learned how to download a free C++ compiler.

2. You have learned how to install the Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition and start a new project.

3. You have learned how to build, debug and compile a C++ program.

4. You have learned how to declare and use pointers.

5. You have learned how to use pointers in a function to reverse an array.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: USING POINTERS IN A FUNCTION TO REVERSE AN ARRAY IN C++

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:15 AM

:^: :D Good information!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1